Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sawyer ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 12:40AM

In my years in the church, I never attended a Mormon funeral or Memorial Service. I am curious about what they entail. Is there music? Are there speakers? (Friends of the departed, Bishop, etc.,) Any special prayers? In your opinion, are Mormon funerals appropriate?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 12:44AM

They usually have a prayer at the beginning and end, some musical numbers and some talks. Sometimes they are about the family and sometimes about the church. Most of the ones I have attended have a mixture of both. A lot depends on the bishop. There has been a move to make them missionary experiences. Some bishops are very hard-nosed about this and others are not.My view is that it is appropriate if it is what the family wants and what the deceased would have wanted.

Posted by: stationarytraveler ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 12:45AM

I attended a funeral today with a bishop presiding. Though the setting was in a funeral home, he still had to get his licks in hoping to snag someone.

Mo funerals only have one good thing I can think of at the moment. It's the meal afterwards. Those funeral potatoes are to die for....., oops, that didn't sound right.

ST

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 01:25AM

Sometimes, the family will hold the viewing right before the service in the Relief Society room or some other large room in the church building. If the deceased was endowed in the temple, he or she will be dressed in temple clothes. In 1982, when I was all of 9 years old, my great-grandfather Flake passed away. I asked my mom why great-grandfather was wearing a green apron. She said I'd learn later, that it had to do with the temple, and that we don't talk about what goes on inside the temple outside of it.

I am a fan of the funeral potatoes. They are just about the only thing of Mormon cooking that I really like.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.