Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 10:23AM

Are there any Ex mo's out there that are desabled or did you see any desabled people at church when you were active?

How were they treated?

Did you even notice?

Did you even think twice about them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 11:29AM

In some wards I've been in the disabled were more like "projects" than friends. A chance to earn brownie points in heaven, rather than someone to hang out with. In other wards, I've been impressed by how completely the person is accepted by the ward as one of the gang. Especially in several incidences with children, I've seen ward children standing up for the disabled or special ed child against school bullies and truly being a friend. Because they had a chance to get to know the child at church for who they really were, disability aside. It was nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 11:30AM by CA girl.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 12:10PM

When I was active there were 3 children in that category in the ward. I never witnessed any teasing at all. Even through high school these kids seemed to be treasured. I guess I have to give credit where it's due.

My own father was an Amputee, WWII veteran. He served as a Bishop before I was born. Didn't prevent him from sexually abusing his daughters and granddaughters though.

At BYU there were some students in Wheelchairs that seemed to be marginalized in the student wards. Nothing too over the top but they had a hard time getting dates and finding any kind of romance. It was obvious they wanted it but few options for getting it.

Just my observations.....

Stunted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 12:12PM by Stunted.

Date: October 07, 2010 03:39PM

Theres probably going to be less chance of that soon with so little interaction that isnt structured to death.

Personly I found the oposit to be true wile I was growing up in the church. Lots of teasing and being told I should suffer it because it'll all be better in the next life. Young womens and primary seemed to be desighned to make me sit at the side because I couldnt do something.

Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 12:13PM

An ederly family friend, who is losing her sight, joined after being "courted" by church members.

The usual story. At first, they could not do enough for her and they loved her so much.
But once she joined, she had a hard time getting anyone to give her a ride to church.

One old bitty came by one Sunday and left her standing by the side of the road because she did not see the car.The woman never said a word to her.

I finally suggested that she stop paying money to the church (she is well-off). Then she moved out of state, close to her non-LDS daughter.

I'd hate to see anyone have to depend on church members.

Posted by: WinksWinks nli ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 05:44PM

I knew three in wheelchairs. One is related to me by marriage via cousin somewhere...
One I met at girls camp. I liked both of these people, and I saw that they were always treated well.

The third, a boy, I grew up with. He was always an ass, even when he was mobile. He eventually grew in girth to monstrous size and was confined to a wheelchair. I couldn't be bothered to ask why since he was still an ass, not "humbled by the experience" at all. I don't like mean people, and don't accommodate anyone who would take advantage of me for fun.

Did anyone else know the descendant of mormon royalty? A Lightner, large, mean boy, in coke bottle glasses and a wheelchair? Delighted in the misfortune of others.

He was generally treated well even though he didn't deserve much of that at all.

Date: October 08, 2010 08:21AM

Probably the best thing you could have done for him. He might have even acted like that just so someone somewhere would treat him like a normal person and not like some poor spiciel child of god angel type.

Posted by: Symboline ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 10:24AM

I have autism, and when i met with the missionaries, they always made me feel welcomed, though I never joined.

One of them once commented on a boy at my college who has cerebral palsy. He said he love to be the boy, unable to walk or control his muscles, because it meant he would be going straight to heaven and wouldn't have to do anything for it.

I thought that was strange and trivializing his illness, like he should be "grateful" for it.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 11:28AM

There is a lady who is in a wheelchair in my parents' ward. While wheelchair-bound, she served as Relief Society president. She probably was one of the best Relief Society presidents they've ever had.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.