Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 03:36AM

For all of us who grew up learning "church history," I'm sure we all remember getting choked up about how big of an asshole Satan was to get all of those jerkfaces to drive the mormons from place to place.
Now that I have grown, I understand the other side of the story far better.
Mormons come in, shit all over everything, vote in blocks on issues that they don't understand, refuse to understand, and then get all high and mighty when criticized.
Not a surprise to me now why many people would ban together simply to shout, "get the fuck out, Mormons!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 05:10AM

They had an inner circle of thorough scoundrels (see the "Laws of Consecration") that hid behind the skirts of the essentially law-abiding Saints...

And when they arrived in Utah, they ultimately had individuals like Orson F. Whitney re-write the history making themselves out as heroes...

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 10:05AM

...that hid behind the skirts of the essentially law-abiding Saints..."

Still do.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 05:41AM

I went to Nauvoo a couple of years ago, The mormons are back, and the original locals don't like it. Some of them are trying to hold on to property and a sense of fairness that was in place in their families BEFORE Joe Smith came there. But not the mormons who are coming to town tell the locals that they're just taking what was once "theirs." Even the longterm multi-generational mormons in town are unhappy with the new invaders.

Look at how badly Utah mormons treat "outsiders" who live there. Cults make people do strange hateful things, and it's no wonder mormons were driven out of normal communities.

Posted by: summer kites ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 07:03AM

The ones that are the most aggravating are the tbm's who smugly look down on other groups and then act persecuted when those groups stand up for themselves.

To which I always think "Don't dish it if you can't take it."

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 09:54AM

summer kites...I get that ALL the time on my FB page when I post something about Morg news. They always pull out the persecution card. They call names, and throw dirt, and discredit you to the best of their ability...and then they cry persecution.

Posted by: wisedup ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 10:17AM

Power corrupts
Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Indeed they boo hoo we are so persecuted
yet it seems it is they doing the persecution
They are the bullies

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 10:48AM

Obnoxious, self-righteous, overbearing and think they are entitled. It only takes a short time living in Utah nowadays to realize that the old fairy tales were not telling the truth. These weren't nice, gentle people of God, persecuted by those in Satan's service. There are some very good people in the Mormon church but even they have enough of that entitlement mindset to not be as good as they would be outside of the church. The people who define themselves by that mindset are unbearable.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 11:09AM

What's sad is even the law-abiding ones, innocent people just keeping to themselves, were also kicked. Taking the brunt of the backlash for the sins and evil of Joe, Briggy, and Co.

At least Briggy got to comfortable ride to UT in an expensive cart and in better weather. Good thing the original sin, Joe, got two bullets in the chest for thinking with his 'other' head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2010 11:10AM by charles10.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 11:17AM

Block voting
Land speculation
Special charter for Nauvoo that protect its citizens when they raided their neighbors
Polygamy and its coverup
The largest standing army around
Crowning himself King and General
Rigdon's speech a year earlier where he called for the extermination of Missourians who didn't cooperate
D&C revelations that Missouri was the land of their inheritance

I think that Missourians knew the Mormon theology and didn't object to it before, during or after. Mormons weren't expelled for their faith, but for their behavior.

If you never admit to your behavior, you will never change.

When you belong to an organization that constantly violates the conventions of public courtesy in the interest of rabidly promoting itself, you in turn give up good will that might have been extended to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2010 11:21AM by Heresy.

Posted by: Badger John ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 12:11PM

The mormons I have known over the years seem nice on the surface (about an inch deep), but on the inside they are essentially dishonest people. The dishonesty may be a sort of self-protection/self preservation, and it would seem that most do not even know they are actually dishonest. In any event, they justify it given that they are "persecuted" and because of that do not have to play by the rules. In my view, the pervasive dishonesty is the inevitable result of structuring their entire life around a demonstrable lie.

Posted by: worldwatcher ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 05:54PM

Badger John Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The mormons I have known over the years seem nice
> on the surface (about an inch deep), but on the
> inside they are essentially dishonest people. The
> dishonesty may be a sort of self-protection/self
> preservation, and it would seem that most do not
> even know they are actually dishonest. In any
> event, they justify it given that they are
> "persecuted" and because of that do not have to
> play by the rules. In my view, the pervasive
> dishonesty is the inevitable result of structuring
> their entire life around a demonstrable lie.

Excellent summary.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 04:26PM

As I'm convinced that the LDS church is a cult, I am always interested to see psychological studies that turn a critical eye on Mormon indoctrination, lifespan development, self-repression, repression of criticism, repression of others, and capacity for self-deception.

If the APA had any guts and integrity at all, it would have cults and cult-like activity and destructiveness well described in the DSM.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 05:34PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.