Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric Davis ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 06:15AM

Boyd Packer vs. Homosexuality
To truly understand how clueless the "True Blue Mormon" crowd really are about this subject, look no further than Mormon owned Brigham Young University.

J.J. Despain, a sports editor and editorial cartoonist for the school's "Daily Universe" newspaper, posted a cartoon in the opinion section of Thursday's edition. It can be seen on page 3 at the following link: http://newnewsnet.byu.edu/pdf/du20101007.pdf

In his cartoon, Mr. Despain claims that the public outcry over Packer's Sunday speech is, "Much Ado about Nothing." J.J. also keeps a blog, in which he also posted the same cartoon in addition to some personal opinions on the subject. See his blog at the following link:
http://jtothe2ndpower.blogspot.com/2010/10/much-ado-about-nothing.html

I don't suppose that Mr. Despain understands that to the thousands of dead gay youth, including numerous Mormons, that demonizing homosexuals evil or "counterfeit" is not "Nothing". I also don't suppose that Despain has ever seen Shakespeare's play, to understand the real message, that a person's lies and hurtful behavior do have lasting effects on individuals. Perhaps it's time for us to educate the naive Mormon population, Mr. Despain included, on the harm of hate speech. It's time to flood his inbox with Much Ado about Something.

You may also send messages to the editorial staff at the "Daily Universe" by email: letters@byu.edu
Or you can call the Opinion editor, Jade McDowell at: 801-422-7108

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 09:20AM

Which is worse? Thinking it's "much ado about nothing" or completely and whole-heartedly agreeing with Packer? Apathy or collusion - flip a coin!

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 10:26AM

Hmmm, I see a PR cleanup in the works.

However, the war of words seems to have died down on FB. The Mormons have circled the wagons and are keeping mum on the topic.

I re-posted that video of Packer's talk which was featured in a TV news report. In my comments I asked, in light of the 5 gay suicides that happened within one week, if the Cult's words were helpful or harmful. Ya coulda heard a pin drop at the deafening silence from all the TBMs on my friend list.

And now, the shunning begins.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 11:06AM

Remember that two conferences ago, there were sneering talks by Holland and Oaks that were not of a very Christian-like nature, and they perturbed a lot of people. Then the next conference (the last one) they had Good-looking German Pilot Dude Dieter Uchtdorf get up and deliver his "Can't-We-Just-All-Get-Along" speech. Does anyone see something like this coming up at the next conference to try to heal things over from Pack-man's talk?

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 11:19AM

Even if they all got up and said super sweety things to smoothe things over, they will not ever admit that it was wrong for the Packed one to say what he said. The church often reverses itself, but it never admits that it was ever wrong in any way...that is, until that particular person dies, and then they may have spoken only as a man.

Remember the incident in San Pete county?
After Bishop Snow castrated that youth so he could have the kids girlfriend, Brighams advice was to keep silent and it will die away among the people.

That has been the rule since that day--remain silent and let it die away. The church is never wrong, so just forget about it and remain faithful to your covenants.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 11:24AM

And the faithful, gullible, brainwashed sheeple accept this wholesale. Not an ounce of critical thought has been done.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.