Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 03:45AM

FYI:

The following Email was sent to me by a dear TBM friend in the same stake as the Dale Smith Family missing in the recent plane crash:

Sent Friday evening, Dec 6, 2013 at 6:27 p.m. P.S.T.

Dear leaders,

Please forward this email to the sisters of the Relief Society and brothers in your quorums.

You may know that we still do not have any good news from Idaho about the Smith family.

The Blossom Valley Ward [San Jose California South Stake] will hold a ward prayer meeting tomorrow (Saturday) morning from 9:30 to 10:00 am at the Comanche Building [the Stake Center]. To avoid requiring Sunday dress, the meeting will be held in the gym. Members of all ages are invited.

This is NOT a mandatory meeting for anyone. Many members have a variety of obligations that will prevent them from attending, but the Blossom Valley Ward Bishopric will welcome anyone from the stake who may wish to attend the brief and simple service.

Thank you,

Bishop XXX

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 04:13AM

It boggles my mind, how the Mormons talk about the traumatic death of a family in the same breath as their dress codes. Who's thinking about petty details at a time like this? "Members" and "anyone from the stake" I take to mean this is a "Mormons only" gathering.

How sad. Small planes are dangerous, imo. It's very cold outside. I hope they survive.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 01:07PM

forestpal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who's thinking about petty
> details at a time like this?

Where there is no substance,
Form is all that is left...

And it becomes very important indeed.
As important as death.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 04:14AM

at least they stated that it wasn't a mandatory meeting!

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 04:28AM

I know that when I'm feeling down, from things like untimely family deaths, I definately want to be in the gymnasium of an ugly building wearing jeans and a T-shirt.

What? Insensitive? You bet it is.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 05:47AM

The e-mail said:

"You may know that we still do not have any good news from Idaho about the Smith family."

- - - - - - - - - - - -

It is time to admit the obvious --

The airplane crashed in rugged mountainous terrain in winter weather and after five days of searching the wreckage site has not been located. As much as we would like Dale Smith and his passengers to be found alive and well, the time for expecting a miracle has passed.

May these good people Rest In Peace. In this time of sorrow, may God give comfort to the family and friends of the souls who perished in this accident.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 05:52AM

exactly, one of my friends from HS, her husband went missing last Spring after hiking in the mountains in Europe. They gave it about 3 weeks before admitting he was probably no longer alive. Found his body during the Summer. Even though they were gross Mormons, I do feel bad for them. Especially for the couple that was going to be married.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 07:21AM

In only ten minutes exposed skin will start to develop frost bite.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 10:47AM

I used to live in Boulder, Colorado. People from Boulder would often make the commute into Denver. Some fierce, sudden blizzards would often strike the highway between the two cities. In the winter, drivers were advised to always carry with them blankets, food, and water, because they would never know when a blizzard might strike and they would be stuck. I remember hearing stories of drivers whose lives were threatened because they were unprepared. Cold can kill.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: December 07, 2013 02:05PM

The prayer meeting is Saturday morning from 9:30 to 10:00. Weekly building cleaning begins at 10:01 to be performed by all attendees.

Posted by: flyboy ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 12:06AM

They won't find them until springtime and then my kid will be one of those going in to get them to bring them out. Part of the job, but not one of the good parts.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 12:10AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 12:13AM

'this isn't a mandatory meeting'... Holy Cow!
what other voluntary group would use that phrase!

and: this is the First Time I've heard of an LDS building used for that purpose.

Posted by: Cowboy Jesus ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 02:48AM

I was working outside in Rexburg when this happened. It was so cold that day. Very sad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.