Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soutskeptic ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 12:48PM

Wednesday, we're talking about the LDS Church's new statement on the policy that banned black men from the priesthood for some 125 years. When it was lifted in 1978, there was little explanation why blacks had been excluded. This statement makes it clear though: it was a policy born of racial prejudice and the Church is clearly disavowing arguments that were used to support it. We'll explore some questions this is raising about the nature of revelation, the fallibility of leaders and the implications for other social issues.

Listen live on the net: http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/revisiting-blacks-and-priesthood

Program repeats at 7 PM and is then available via podcast.

Good one to share with TBM family members.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 01:03PM

7pm what time zone?

Date: December 11, 2013 01:16PM

Mountain- Program is on now Excellent Program.

Date: December 11, 2013 01:33PM

Love this comment: “A forced apology is not much of an apology.”

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 02:19PM

I loved this reader comment by David Fife about the Gutenberg Bible and today's internet. I thought it was spot on:

"I think that the church is in a very difficult position now. I think that the Internet is as the gutenberg bible was to the Catholic church, the internet is to the Mormon church.

The church can no longer control the narrative on its own history. The bretheren will have to be honest about the history, policies and fallibility of the leadership.

The church will have to be honest about the less than rosy history that it has. My daughter graduated from 4 year seminary and had no idea that Joseph Smith might have had relations other than Emma."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 02:20PM by Senoritalamanita.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 02:50PM

was excellent.

I was kind of shocked about things that people said about the LDS church, on the air, in UTAH.

I can't imagine that this won't shake up a few TBMs. It's clear that the church is NOT lead by infallible leaders, and that in fact, it's held back by the attitudes and prejudices of its geriatric leaders.

Posted by: HopiBon! ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 02:58PM

Blaming BY and accepting that no other prophets for 100 years pulled the plug on something that God didn’t want brings into question the whole system. God never brought it up to them during that time but had a hard on for coffee, tea and wine? How many ear piercings woman can have? Demanded that Salt Lake get another downtown mall? But he never brought up stopping a practice that made Mormon synonymous with racism since the 1850s?

The question was raised if there is a benefit belonging to a religion that’s only upshot is that it has a red phone to God if this is the product. The phrase “House of Cards” was used several times in the last three minutes and frankly, it fits.

Posted by: NewLifeGuy ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 03:35PM

I think the blame really should start with JS as BY was carrying on the teachings he heard from JS on the black issue & the priesthood. Steve Benson has tons of evidence to support that JS had in fact believed that God did not want the blacks to hold the priesthood nor receive the blessings of going through the temple.

Posted by: Starting over ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 04:02PM

I missed the program, but just recently my TBM wife was telling me that the racisim wasn't born of the church, but that it was mandated by the gov'ment that segregation occur. See, there was no mingling of races in other churches (in the deep south) until the 1970's! It isn't JS or BY's fault! It was Uncle Sam's!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.