Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 05:54PM

There is now talk on MSNBC of Mia Love running for the US Senate.

My guess is that Lawrence O'donnell is behind the story, since he loves giving LDS Inc the bashing they so deserve.

Whether she wins or not, nor if she spins LDS racist doctrine will stop the attention this will bring to LDS Inc.

LDS Inc is positioning themselves for the oncoming scrutiny.

It will not work. They can herd their sheeple, but under national attention they are going to look like a corrupt KKK.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogwater ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 06:01PM

She ran against Matheson and lost in the last election. She didn't impress me then either.

Posted by: AnonUtahn ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 06:02PM

I work at a hair salon in Davis County. We have a lot of the over 65 crowd because several of our stylists specialize in those sets so popular with older ladies. When Mia Love was running for office here in Utah, one of the women getting her hair set said in no uncertain terms that she wouldn't vote for her because it was immoral for a black woman to be married to a white man. And also because she should stay home with her children where she belongs. Then the customer clarified that really, though, it was because of her mixed race marriage which God disapproved of.

Other women agreed with her, but not as outspokenly as the above mentioned lady. This sort of racism may be common in that age group - I don't know. But it's certainly present in Utah with a number of the nice Relief Society sisters of a certain age. What the church teaches - what former prophets said MATTERS and effects human beings much more profoundly and much more negatively than the church wants you to think.

Date: December 17, 2013 06:07PM

"When Mia Love was running for office here in Utah, one of the women getting her hair set said in no uncertain terms that she wouldn't vote for her because it was immoral for a black woman to be married to a white man. And also because she should stay home with her children where she belongs."

I would love to hear that woman make that quote on national TV.

That is what we need to make the world finally understand LDS mentality.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 02:54AM

This is what black people who are investigating the church would care about. What the the Brethren say officially is important but what people actually think at a local level would be much more important.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 12:38PM

She's a shoo-in now that Matheson says he won't run for another term. No other Democrat will be popular enough to beat Love. :(

Edit: I'm not sad about the fact because of her race or gender, but because she's Republican. :p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 12:40PM by hausfrau.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 12:46PM

She's a completely mixed up lady. Wow. But she will be a new congresswoman. She'll get elected.

Date: December 18, 2013 01:15PM

Take all the political angles out of it.

She will get a lot of media attention because she is a black person being elected in Utah. And yes, she is mormon.

This will open a can of worms that LDS Inc does not want open. This raises questions about history, doctrine, and deception that LDS Inc has desperately tried to be deceitful, disingenuous, misleading, and outright fraudulent for a century and a half.

This will bring it to a head in the national spotlight. LDS Inc will not be controlling the conversation. They will be on defense, trying to defend the indefensible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 01:17PM by deco.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 01:46PM

Both LDS Inc and the Rs desperately want Mia to win in the hopes it will burnish their image with blacks and with women. Unless she manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, always a possibility, LDS Inc will get to see if she helps their image.

The only reason she didn't win last time was because of the little old racist ladies in places like Bountiful. I am sure 800 of them will have died off since the last election.

Mia will be a 24/7 "I'm a Mormon" ad. Gag.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 02:26PM

I do believe she'll win because Mormons desperately want a Black woman in Congress. "See, we believe in equality!" She represents women as much as Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann does. She doesn't.

But she really is not very smart and she'll be great fodder for Stewart and Colbert. I wish Jon Huntsman would run, but I guess that would be a step down for him.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 07:08PM

I would also love to see Huntsman run for a public office! He's the only Republican that I'd vote for president. Though I think he's distancing himself from the Republican party (which is awesome, but unless he changes to the Democratic party, he doesn't have a shot at being president...) I'd take him as congressman, but yeah, I guess that is a downgrade.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 02:31PM

The fact that she was a psychotic teabagger running against an extremely conservative democrat had more to do with it than racism, but yes, as old racists die off blacks do become more electable.

Posted by: Lono ( )
Date: December 19, 2013 10:47AM

Tea Bagger? Strange that so many "tolerant" people would take a gay sex act and turn it into a slur against their political opponents.

Would it be appropriate to call democrats/progressives c*ck suckers, corn holers, butt pirates?

Hardly.

Posted by: eyesopen ( )
Date: December 18, 2013 07:47PM

So THAT'S why the essay on race was so much stronger than the others. They had to full on disavow because this is going to be in the media spotlight again. The story of the lady at the salon is so relevant though -- it MATTERS what the "leaders" say, whether the statements are being made "as a man" or a supposed prophet and even if they are disavowed later. They shape the psyche of the TBMs, with little being able to be undone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.