Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 11:51AM

"It's almost as if the bible was written by racist, sexist, homophobic, violent, sexually frustrated men instead of a loving God. Weird." --Ricky Gervais

http://www.quoteswave.com/picture-quotes/436244

My DD sent me that. Ricky Gervais is awesome. Loved him in the Invention of Lying.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: navidad ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 11:58AM

lol. That is perfect and very true.

Posted by: Aenon E. Moss ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 03:22PM

Jehovah is not Heavenly Father. Jehovah is known in Buddhist scriptures as Bakka Brahma. According to Buddhist scriptures, he used to be a man, a monk. According to Buddhism, he is under Maya (Illusion); falsely assuming he is the creator of the cosmos, but he is not. There are dimensions above Bakka Brahma, but he cannot see them, just as we cannot see dimensions above us.

According to Buddhist scripture, Bakka Brahma ("Jehovah" or "Allah") is the ruler of the 11th heaven. There are heavens up to the 33rd heaven. The Devas (shining ones) in the heavens above Jehovah has no interest in material affairs. Jehovah does in fact "rule" hiw own dimension and the dimensions under him, including our dimension. He rules beings in his dimenions called "Ministering Devas" and "Servant Devas".

Is the Bible (i.e. Jehovah and the Israelite prophets) "racist"? I see nothing that says that one race is more intelligent than others, but that Israel was a "chosen" people.

Is the Bible "sexist"? Jehovah and the Hebrew prophets do nothing to improve the status of women in the ancient Near East. They could own property. They could divorce their husbands (with difficulty, but possible). But slave-women had no rights, and neither did slave men. A father could sell his daughters, or sons, into slavery, which was perpetual unless the Master freed them. Slavery existed long before Jehovah, but Jehovah does nothing to "free" the slaves, but it does say in the Torah not to make one force their slaves to work on the Sabbath. So, Jehovah improves their lot, a little.

Jehovah allows for polygamy in the Bible, but not polyandry. Jehhovah does NOT forbid premarital sex, or prostitution, nor masturbation. However, adultery is heavily penalized; with death on the word of four eyewitnesses. Are men likewise penalized? Only if the woman is married to another man. A married man having sex with a prostitute, is not considered adultery, but fornication, which has no condemnation in the Torah. The word of a man is equal to the word/testimony of two women.

The term "Heavenly Father" comes not from Jewish writings, but from the Zoroastrian scriptures, and refers to Ahura Mazda, the Only Wise Lord, who is not Jehovah. Jesus was a Nazarene; meaning a member of a sect that worshipped Ahura Mazda, a.k.a. Father in Heaven.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 03:29PM

You may want to reread Deuteronomy 7 again.

The bible is a terrible book condoning and commanding racism, sexism, slavery, homophobia, and genocide..just to name a few.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2013 03:30PM by deco.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 03:50PM

I, for one, totally get what you're saying, aenon. I also think it's important to remind people that according to the gospel of Juan Matus, we are all just food for the great eagle who's great emanations give us life and consciousness. That reminds me as well that we should always be vigilant not to give into the tricks of our annunaki reptilian overlords who keep us in a lower vibration so we can continue to mine their gold. And also, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Only our lord and savior chuck norris knows. Praise him. Praise him. Praise him.

Wait, what were we talking about again? I think you were about to pass the bong...

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 04:05PM

LOL!

Date: December 22, 2013 05:36PM

Not saying the Buddhist scripturs are true, just pointing out another belief system.

Is the Bible racist? Define racist? Is the Bible anti-black, for example? no. Mormon scriptures are. Does the Bible say that the Canaanites are to be servants to the Semites and Japhethites? YES! The Canaanites are the Lebanese and Palestinians and the North Africans such as the Tunesians. Not black Africans. The Palestians certainly have a "servant" status in Israel, for example.

Is the Bible homophobic? The Bible says that MALE (not female) homosexual acts are forbidden, and one that commits them must be killed. Certainly, it is anti-male homosexuality.

Is the Bible genocidal? Well, the Lord commanded Israel to utterly destroy the Canaanites, which was not accomplished. so, yes, it does condone genocide of an entire nation.

Is the Bible sexist? Again, define what "sexist" is? Does the Bible say that men shall rule women, or subjugate women? The Bible, i.e. Jehovah, i.e. the Hebrew prophets, do not increase the status of women in the Middle East, which status existed for many thousands of years BEFORE the HEbrew prophets, which is that women can own property, and divorce their husbands on legal grounds. Women could NOT marry more than one man. Slaves, men and women, WERE considered property. The Bible does not condemn concubinage (having slave-wives), which the Book of Mormon DOES. Abraham gave gifts to his concubines, as we read in Genesis. Thtestimony of one man was worth the testimonhy of two women. So, women were not equal in every way with a man. The Queen of Sheba was the head of her government. Deborah, a woman, was a Judge (like a king) in Israel, and Jehovah does not condemn her for it, and she was also a warrior! So...DEFINE what "sexism" is, and I'll tell you if the Bible (i.e.Jehovah/i.e. Hebrew prophets) were "sexist".

Posted by: buddyjoe ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 01:11AM

Thx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2013 01:11AM by buddyjoe.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 03:32PM

prove it

Date: December 22, 2013 05:42PM

Google "Baka Brahma" and see for yourself.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 04:54PM

No, Jesus was a Nazarene because he was from Nazareth.

Date: December 22, 2013 05:41PM

The Nazarenes were a sect, and Paul is called "a ringleader in the sect of the Nazarenes" in the Book of Acts. People did not have cars in those days, and very, very few had horses. People walked. The sect of the Nazrenes had their own village, so that the people, members of the sect, could live together and share the same Synagogue, the one Jesus preaches in, and they said: "Is this not the carpenter's son?" and they seek to cast him off a cliff because he claims to be the Messiah. The Nazarenes are listed as a "sect" in the Talmud and various other places, including early Christian books. The Nazarenes still exist today! They are called the Mandaeans now, and they live in southern Iraq. They fled Jerusalem just before the first Jewish revolt. They accept John the Baptist, but reject Jesus as a false christ. Their priests are still called "Nazari". Nazareth means dwelling of the Nazarenes.

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 05:49PM

No, Jesus was made up. Mithra was real.:o)
That was some good info, I enjoyed it.
I always thought they were talking about Brahma Bulls.

Date: December 22, 2013 06:16PM

Jesus is mentioned in the Talmud and condemned as a sorcerer and a worker of black magic. Jesus is mentioned by early Roman historians, and by Josephus. I know of no historian, in any country, who believes that Jesus was "made up".

As for Baka Brahma. Does he exist? You say he absolutely does NOT exist. I say: _________there is no way for you or I to know he exists or does not exist_______. But one thing for sure...other dimensions DO exist, because gravity passes through the dimensions, and all the matter in the Cosmos makes up 4 per cent of the matter, so 96 percent of the matter in the Cosmos is locked in other dimensions. Science has confirmed this. This is no longer theory but fact.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 06:22PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 11:53AM

Since pretty much every single thing you said there is demonstrably false...I'd suggest you go spend some time learning, rather than trying to convince others that your lack of research has produced some kind of "fact."

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 06:09PM

On the radio yesterday here in Alabama, I caught a couple minutes of rednecks on their talk show ranting about how that Phil guy from Duck Dynasty is just like the prophets in the Old Testament- telling the truth, blah, blah. These guys make Rush and Glen look tame.

I was cracking up because probably Phil Robertson is like them. I'm guessing the weirdos in the Bible were the Phil Duck Dynasy guys of their day.

Funny how God reflects the values of the people using him to validate their views.

Ricky Gervais is a hoot.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 09:53PM

Yes, the OT often seems that way in today's social terms (and it supports some people who still believe in Bronze Age values), but it is anti-historicist, ignoring what the world was like then.

Can we have as much foresight, and see which of our taken-for-granted assumptions of the present will seem cretinous in a couple of millennia? (Maybe meat-eating, for one...)

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: December 22, 2013 11:21PM

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying god was a dick then but as his children evolve so does he? Or do you think he is man made and needs a make over periodically to more accurately represent the people's mores?

Posted by: XxxMmmOoo ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 06:43AM

The Bible is the foundational text of Judaic supremacism, which carried over into mainstream Christianity.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 10:01AM

This thread reminds me of kids talking about superhero movies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.