Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:23PM

Someone, who is struggling with their continued membership in Mormonism, asked me this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 12:24PM by heretic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:32PM

I doubt it. After all, they are the takers. The members are the givers.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:34PM

I doubt an official answer will be forthcoming, but I believe the answer is no.

Because the GAs are supported by the church, they are not required to pay tithing, at least on that support. I don't know if they are supposed to pay tithing on money from book royalties, corporate board memberships and other internal money laundering, but neither answer would surprise me.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:35PM

Nope, they are all retired simply lving off a minimal living expense account, no increase to pay on......right

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 12:35PM

as a practical matter, it's intrusive to ask about individual finances / donations.

In Mormonism, it's the Big Picture that matters, not lots of little ones.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 02:01PM

Given that Mission Presidents do not, I'm guessing the Big Cheeses don't either.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 02:24PM

Where did you hear that Mission Presidents don't pay tithing?

If the MP's pay, the GA's pay. If the MP's don't pay, neither do the GA's.

But I bet they both pay.

It's good PR for the leaders to pay. Sets a good example and it's not really a sacrifice on their part, either.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 05:40PM

Mission presidents don't pay on the (generous) "expense reimbursements" they are paid.

See Page 83 of the Mission Presidents Handbook, here:

https://ia601808.us.archive.org/21/items/MissionPresidentsHandbook2006/Mission%20Presidents_%20Handbook-%282006%29.pdf

The matter was discussed here, among other places:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/religion/2984029/posts

In fairness, if they have outside income, they DO pay on that. But given the crazy things that are permitted as "expenses," it is a sweet tithing-free deal.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 02:17PM

I don't know.

They've all had their calling and election made sure, and they've been tithe payers their whole lives, so in a way I think it's likely they don't pay it.

However, what harm would there be in them paying tithing? They get all their money from the church anyway (and more than enough to live on). Like it they get 100,000 a year, maybe instead the church gives them 111,000 a year, then they pay tithing off it (resulting in the same thing, but technically meaning they pay tithing). The same happened with my parents. They used to get money from the church since they were struggling financially, but they would still pay tithing from it.

So, really it could go either way I think. If it's true Mission Presidents don't pay tithing, then it's likely General Authorities don't either.

However, whether they pay tithing or not, it makes no difference. Even if GAs pay 90% of their money in tithing it doesn't change whether the church is true or not.

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 02:21PM

they dont. they have signed over their possesions over to the church in title only. They are considered like missionaries, MP's: they live of donations that have bene tithed already.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 02:24PM

The 15 and the Church are essentially one-and-the-same, so even if they did pay tithing it would be like writing a check out of their own account to pay themselves -- it would be a wash.

Posted by: learningdaily ( )
Date: January 02, 2014 05:50PM

As I recall there are four categories for tithe payers:
1 Full
2 Partial
3 Non
4 Exempt
GA's, MP, others are 4.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.