Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:34PM

I wish that any "Breaking News" be called that: "Breaking News" when it occurs rather than "Future Breaking News Put on Hold for Reasons that Can't Be Revealed...Yet."

I love you guys, and I hope that something awesome happens in the future that leaves everyone gobsmacked.

What saddens me are the posts, pro and con, about "WTF?" and "Just Be Patient." Speculation, speculation, speculation.

I'm not questioning anyone's integrity. The expectation that something, ANYTHING, is going to be revealed in the near future, and the subsequent let down when NOTHING happens doesn't seem fair to people who are hungry for information.

My two cents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 08:35PM by Beth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:40PM

Love that word "gobsmacked."
Never heard it, and seems it could have a multitude of fitting applications.
Thanks!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 08:36AM

Just gobsmacked to think you haven't heard of the word.

Date: January 09, 2014 08:39AM

//wrong place//

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 08:39AM by cludgie.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:45PM

"I'm not questioning anyone's integrity. The expectation that something, ANYTHING, is going to be revealed in the near future, and the subsequent let down when NOTHING happens doesn't seem fair to people who are hungry for information."

Hungry for information? Listen to Tom's four hour interview. Read the detailed, well-cited posts here on RFM. Check out youtube Ten Problems of Mormonism. NOTHING happens?

Hungry for what information? What else is there? What could be more damning than all that's been posted, discussed, and cited? From here on out, it's just for laughs.

If you're waiting for someone to say Smith made it all up while looking at a rock in his hat, good luck.

Date: January 08, 2014 08:52PM

Smith made it all up while looking at a rock in his hat.

Date: January 08, 2014 09:08PM

Date: January 08, 2014 09:05PM

is that some people are disappointed and their trust issues that have already been damaged by the TSCC are being further damaged by some things that haven't come to pass.

I'm also seeing hopeful people who might be let down if some things don't come to pass.

Both make me sad.

All I'm proposing is that when someone has something concrete to share, share it then, not at some indefinite point in the future.

This isn't specifically about Tom; I've seen these board arguments and speculations happen with Dehlin and anonymous folks claiming to have first-hand information about super special things that they can't share...yet.

I think this behavior does the board a disservice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 09:06PM by Beth.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 10:13AM

Beth, sometimes preliminarily leaking out some information is what it takes to flush out the additional pieces needed to complete the puzzle. It's what triggers people to come forward and share what they know. It's what helps the dots get connected to see the bigger picture. Sometimes it requires previous theories, assumptions, postulations, etc. to be revised and corrected when some new information comes to light.

Most of us would love to see the cult crash and burn down... yesterday. These things take time. Patience, grasshopper!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 10:14AM by Bite Me.

Posted by: neolithicsneakers ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 11:12AM

+1

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 08:52PM

Hey Beth! Happy New Year to you! I hope 2014 finds you well.

I agree with your post.

The Mormon cult is blowing up. But we're too close to see it happening. For anyone who doubts this, just check out Cumorah.com and see the stats for yourself.

The decline is happening, but the cult is like an ocean-liner, not a canoe. A canoe can sink in a moment, an ocean-liner takes some time, even if it hits an iceberg.

Date: January 08, 2014 09:10PM

I agree with your post.

I haven't been to cumorah.com, but I'll check it out.

Posted by: 3X (NLI) ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 09:25AM

An exemplar of "being too close" was the fall of the Berlin Wall: few had any inkling in the prior months and weeks of the event.

Afterwards, most thought, "well it had to happen one day".

Posted by: 404 ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:23PM

Yeah, this build up to "surprises" makes me feel trolled. So silly...

Date: January 08, 2014 09:40PM

Let me give you a fun surprise to chew on. Ten million people left the cult after signing up. Surprise!

Posted by: gullible ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:49PM

I agree with the OP. I've been tracking the "October Surprise" and some other predictions made on this forum and feel let-down, almost duped again.

And I'm not an asshole and I'm not being rude. Just calling it like I see it. Naysayers: deal with truth.

Like St. Thomas, I will believe it when I see it. Until then these speculations and promises are right up their with the White Horse prophecy and the 2nd Coming... I will keep waiting.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:39PM

I expect NOTHING to happen. The 15 will hang on to the lie tenaciously and in the face of all evidence to the contrary, deny, deny, deny...long after I'm doin' the dirt-nap. Just glad my kids and grandkids know f'all about Mormonism. Of that, I'm justifiably proud.

Ron Burr

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 09:47PM

Mormonism is like that fake Cracker Jack box in Mad Magazine. The label on the box reads: Surprise! Nothing Inside!

Their temples are emptier than Sarah Palin's head. Their charity trickles out slower than Obamacare. They hold up Glenn beck as a great thinker. Bednar has pickle dysfunction. Boyd fears intersections, and Tommy's into drive-by prophecy with gangsta rims.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 08:59AM

anything related to "Smith." Your vivid descriptions cut deeper and sharper than Laban's Sword laid upon his own neck.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 09:00AM by cricket.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:20PM

needing something like a prophet, whose words we can hang on. There's also a thing about famous Mormons that carries over into the exmo community, where it looks just as silly. Peculiar people, I tell ya! And wanting to be an insider, which is less uniquely Mormon.

I agree, it's annoying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 11:30PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:32PM

In software product management they tell you that there are different disclosure points based on your audience.

You tell the support and operations people what is in the planning stage, so they have lots of time to prepare themselves, and because they won't let it slip since they would be the ones cleaning up the mess if word got out early.

You tell the marketing people about things that are currently in development, because that gives them enough time to plan the launch, and they won't spill it early in a big way because they don't want to ruin their own launch plans (but they will leak it selectively).

You tell the sales people on launch day, or else they will sell it months before it's even started, and then if there's delays or changes on the way people get upset.

While I won't fault anyone, it's similar on here. Someone gets excited with a development, wants to share it, but then a timeline slips or something changes and people get upset.

Date: January 08, 2014 11:35PM

I'm at a complete loss when it comes to these threads.

What's the relationship between (1) a lying cult that sucks someone's life force and (2) a comment that some more dirt on the cult will be aired?

I can understand how a mormon goon would want to make the two equivalent and then assert that a failure of number 2 meant his church was true. I mean, these are people apparently who would worship the prophets testicles if so instructed. These poor, lost souls can be pitied.

But for anyone else who has seen through the cult's lies and found freedom outside of the insane ramblings of the Sunday meetings, what are your comments about? How do you relate escaping a cult to the potential that more embarrassing information about the church will come out? As if anything could be more embarrassing than any one of a hundred different pieces of information you already have.

What in the hell are some of you thinking?

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:55PM

Keep in mind "once bitten, twice shy" and the fact that a lot of people got a lot of hurt from the church, and now can get quite upset at anything they see as similar behavior.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:49PM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 08, 2014 11:49PM

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 07:29AM

Obviously they do. I do.

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 08:23AM

Not only do they still say it, some of us still have them! I'm almost having a hissy-fit over the fact that YOU think it's an outdated phrase!LOL :p

Date: January 09, 2014 07:10AM

Guess just cannot comprehend the disappointments expressed.

We are not paying heavily for something.
It is a gift.
A few dedicated luminaries are in the ring taking the hits.

All it costs us is a little patience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 07:14AM by zenjamin.

Posted by: Bird Uncaged ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 11:14AM

Z... You rock.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 07:34AM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish that any "Breaking News" be called that:
> "Breaking News" when it occurs rather than "Future
> Breaking News Put on Hold for Reasons that Can't
> Be Revealed...Yet."
>
> I love you guys, and I hope that something awesome
> happens in the future that leaves everyone
> gobsmacked.
>
> What saddens me are the posts, pro and con, about
> "WTF?" and "Just Be Patient." Speculation,
> speculation, speculation.
>
> I'm not questioning anyone's integrity. The
> expectation that something, ANYTHING, is going to
> be revealed in the near future, and the subsequent
> let down when NOTHING happens doesn't seem fair to
> people who are hungry for information.
>
> My two cents.

You don't like speculation so you complain about speculation by starting a thread that will generate speculation....

Date: January 09, 2014 08:40AM

Well, just like the next person in the room, we often can't help being fickle mush-heads. It's human nature to be a bit hysterical. But comparing any of us to those who actually believe in Mormonism and its doctrine, or--even worse--in Mormon leadership, we're a pretty tame and sensible lot, no matter what our sins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 08:40AM by cludgie.

Posted by: BirdUncaged ( )
Date: January 09, 2014 11:13AM

I love hearing about things coming down the pipe before they actually do. I appreciate being part of a club that has true prophecy, due to insider knowledge...ahem Tom, Steve and other super cool heroes without capes. They don't ask for anything in return. But actually pay with their time and money for little ol' us and, in their excitement, set something out there to give us hope. It was absolutely fabulous knowing about the essays before their air-filled asses hit the chair. Thank you. Such things give me legitimacy when I say, "Supposidly articles are going to be put out..." And wahlaa they do. Same with the "surprise".

What honestly pisses me off are people who feel entitled to anything here. Or think they have any kind of right to criticize good intentions. It reminds me of Old Mother Hen. Everyone was happy to eat the bread, but no one wanted to do the work. In this case, others are doing the work and offering me their bread, buttered. I'm not going to look over their shoulders and criticize how they make it. They told me they were making it. It took longer than they expected for it to rise. But I can smell it cooking. I can't wait for it to be served...but I will. Gladly. I'll bring the jam, Tom. Good on ya!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.