Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 07:03PM

I talked about my foster family thing today, which jarred a memory:

(I had seen garments on men. I thought it was a man thing. When I was an inactive kid of my still-living parents, the branch president and Scout leader would come over sometimes, scoop me up, dress me, and take me to priesthood or camp outs, and such. On the campouts, the leaders would often walk around in their garments--back then the one-piecers. I couldn't figure them out, mostly because back then the "marks" were large, open, and reinforced with a square patch of fabric so they wouldn't unravel. This made the marks very visible under the shirt, and you could tell a garment-wearer from blocks away. I thought that might be the point. But the square reinforcing patches would eventually ball up, producing the effect have having four nipples, and that's how I normally saw them, and that's why I didn't know what I was looking at.)

So, when my mother passed away, my father was deemed unsuitable and incapable, and I had to go to foster care. A young Mormon family with three kids spoke up and wanted to take me. The reason turned out much later to be, 1.) the branch wanted to keep me in a Mormon family, and 2.) the couple was broke and needed additional income; the money provided by the county was seen as enough to make ends meet.

I was 15, and they were only 29. The woman was no beauty, but also not unattractive. Once, when she apparently thought I was not in the house, she came out of the bedroom and began to walk to the bathroom. She had been dressing to go to a church meeting, and you know what that means/meant--nylons, dress, etc. Again, this was 1965, so there were only one-piece garments. AND this was before the introduction of pantihose, and that meant nylons suspended by a girdle. She came out of bedroom wearing one-piece garments, covered by a bra, covered by a girdle, girdle attached to hose, garments tucked way down into the hose. And slippers. It was a sight. So uncomfortable looking too. I was in a sort of state of shock.

She noticed me and darted back into the bedroom and got a robe on. But damage done. Now she had to have "the talk," about how she did not intend for me to see her (no schit, Sherlock), and that a woman was only supposed to "show her body" to her husband, yada-yada. I bet she thought I was turned on, being a young 15 year-old guy that probably did vile stuff in the shower. God, it did so much in the opposite direction that my delicately growing adolescent brain was damaged.

I tell you this partially to make you understand just how bad it used to be. I mean, it IS still bad, but it was so much worse. Are there any women alive and on this board who remember having to go through that routine to go to church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 07:12PM

Yes, and I think I am mostly alive, since you put it so huh, rather bluntly! Thanks alot. (Not sure how I'm still kickin' though when I think back to all that it took go get dressed for church. No wonder I hated to go.)

And, yes I hated how I looked in all that garb and know that it wasn't a turn on for hubby.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 07:25PM

My parents would walk around the house in their very worn out garments. Even as a young child, I thought it was gross.

I looked at the Sears catalog and saw pics of men and women in normal underwear and knew I didn't want to be like my parents and wear ugly underwear. Fortunately, when I went through the temple in 1993, the 1 piece had been phased out. The 2 piece were still horrid and I could write several paragraphs detailing how awful they were for comfort, pregnancy, menstruating, bra wearing, living in a very hot and humid climate, etc.

Women really have it worse than men when it comes to garments. And they made me feel really ugly when I had a smokin' hot 20 year old body. I'm still pissed I wore them for 15 years.

Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 12:12PM

It is also insane that the garments are supposed to be worn underneath the bra "next to the skin". Being male I haven't experienced the discomfort, but I can only imagine. Bras were not designed to be worn over other fabric. Let alone it looks... really... weird.

Posted by: EmmaWho ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 02:02PM

Actually, notwithstanding how ugly the garments looked, having the bra over them (again UGLY)was nice to have a silky layer between bra & skin. No rubbing, friction, chafing the skin when wearing old, cheap bras :-\

Posted by: emmahailyes ( )
Date: January 17, 2014 08:12PM

I'm still mad about having to smother myself in sweat producing fabric for all the good body years. I had great boobs that never fit in garments. Either had to wear huge g's or have uncomfortable bond breast (very sexy). The old one piece ones were beyond nasty and not too modest (70s short dresses and split crouch)...eek!

Posted by: byumormon ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 05:53AM

Yeah did you see the Freemason masonic images on front? vGv symbol? Maybe all seeing eye. In freemason the garments are called shield and used during the ceramonies. Usually done in three's yep just like Mormons. I think that most active LDS move up to 3rd position Freemasonary without even knowing.

Date: January 18, 2014 09:04AM

A "shield" has a totally different meaning in Mormon temples.

Mormons do not use the "G".

Otherwise, it's the same compass and square. They used to be enormously visible through shirts and bras, as if on purpose, but are now subdued so much that on military garments they are just lightly printed on the backside (inside) of the fabric. (So I hear. Military garments were just regular ones dyed olive when I was in the military.)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 02:34PM

Oh the one piecers. Where do I start? And I'd totally forgotten about those big squares on the nipples. Ugh. That was one reason it was good to have to wear the bra over the garmies. To find a bra that would cover up the squares so people didn't think your pasties were showing. I would fill up the kids' wading pool in Okinawa and sit there with my feet in it while they played because I could justify in my mind that I was swimming and could take off the garmies.

Oh I hated those things and all the things you'd have to wear over them. The 2-piecers were so much better but still hideous. I quit wearing them long before I left the church. Nothing says CULT more than underwear control.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 05:50PM

My ex still wears the one piece. She has many of them and only 1 two piece. She says she doesn't like the 2 piece. I like it better then the one piece on her as far as g's go. I hated that unless we were having sex, I never could touch her skin. She was always covered by those 1 piece g's with bra over it and panties over them also.

Posted by: No na 4 this ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 09:46PM

And I thought I was the only poor j € rk who never ever saw his ex wife naked.... :/

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: January 18, 2014 06:20PM

I can't imagine the old-style garments. My step mom would walk around the house with no shame in her garments.. with no underwear underneath or over so every thing was seen
:(

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 19, 2014 02:27AM

When I was fourteen my father paraded about the house in translucent, threadbare Mormon underwear. It was disgusting. You could see the shade and shape of his junk. His butt flap opened and shut as he walked, revealing his hairy bifurcated buttocks with every step.

One day I saw my mother in her Goddam garments, and my balls rolled in like wicked witch shoes under Dorothy's house. I couldn't get an erection for weeks. I thought I'd gone asexual from trauma. It was a close call.

Date: January 19, 2014 08:50AM

Don't tell me: The old nylong-bemburg fabric? It was so popular, but the one the natural part of the fabric would wear away within months, leaving only the synthetic, and the synthetic they used was clear like plastic or cellophane. And where did it wear? On the breasts and in the crotch. You could really get a clear view.

You may remember the cotton one-piece garments. They would fill with sweat and sag and keep getting longer through the day. Did your parents ever get out of bed and walk around in garments that sagged off the shoulders, the legs hitting them at mid-calf? That would have been cotton. On my mission in Italy, we had no washing machines, so some elders would not wash out their cotton Gs regularly. They would wear them multiple times, and sometimes the would practically reach the ankles on the third day, and they would begin to develop yellow stains in the crotch. It was so gross.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 19, 2014 10:21AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOO GAWD DANG FUNNY!!!

Posted by: Freeandhappy ( )
Date: January 19, 2014 09:04AM

Strange story I feel compelled to share.... For yrs I struggled and tried my hardest to get used to the magic/special underwear. From day one I could not get used to it, even did the horrible sin of getting out the sewing machine and tried to make some adjustments to make it more bearable to wear but nothing worked. Then went 1/2 and 1/2 for years, the top I could handle for the day time but the bottoms never worked. When I was home I would take them off and always felt so much more comfortable but the guilt and fear was very real. Always nervous someone in the ward would pop by and I would be busted. Even started to have nightmares, would dream that I would be exposed, there would be a fire in the night and I would be surrounded by the whole ward while standing there in my not so mormon nighties. Or dream I would suddenly be at church and I couldn't find my garments so I would be hiding in the bathroom. I am so proud, relieved and thrilled to report the ongoing nightmares have stopped. We stopped going to church 6 months ago, the first thing we did was take all our garments and gave them to DI, oh the irony. The fear is gone, I am now living my life as me. I have never had a stressed dream since. So happy & free, live being an ex-mormon!!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 19, 2014 09:20AM

Sorry you had to witness that god awful sight at a vulnerable age.

Posted by: Garçon ( )
Date: January 19, 2014 11:51AM

When I first started wearing garments in the early 80's, I got a couple of one piece to wear, because I wanted to be more like my dad. They seemed more unique, and since I was raised to believe that mormons were a unique and peculiar people, well, the more peculiar the underwear the better.

Once I returned from my mission, those two pairs were a little thread bare. There was a distinct advantage to this though. The edging on the neck line disintegrated and the neckline was simply the cotton fabric. This was very stretchy, and I could literally wear the garment 'as directed' and pull the front part down low enough to unbutton a couple of buttons on my shirt and it still couldn't be seen.

I never did get used to wearing the mesh garments--just never liked the feeling of scrotal hair being pulled out by the roots as I was walking, sitting, standing, breathing, etc.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 19, 2014 11:55AM

I thought garments were hideous in every way. My kids Never saw me wearing nothing but G's. They also never did my laundry, so they never had to touch them or look at them. They were aware of their existence, but that was about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2014 11:57AM by madalice.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 19, 2014 12:21PM

and corsets were the ultimate in seductive wear. I couldn't even imagine the insanity of wearing them over bulky majick long johns.

What Katie Did Maitresse L6001 Satin Bullet Bra and L2003 Garter Belt
http://www.whatkatiedid.com/en_us/product/257/what-katie-did-1950s-vintage-maitresse-6-strap-gar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2014 12:33PM by anybody.

Posted by: temporarily nameless ( )
Date: January 19, 2014 12:34PM

When I temple married in 1979 and the temple matrons dressed me in my first garments I was instructed "if you wear a bra it is to be worn OVER the garments so the garment is next to your skin." I suppose the normal mind is attracted to the word OVER....but my little hippified mind was immediately drawn to the word IF. IF you wear a bra...hmmmm....
I concluded that if I was wearing my garments, which were undies, then I didn't need to wear a bra. Or panties for that matter. Garmies and a little hippie dress = perfectly comfortable. No bunching, no elastic, no straps, no wedgies.

Of course I was warned by one RS pres that if I didn't wear a bra it would "ruin my muscles", but my thought to that was just "Ha, old lady, breasts don't have muscle, and besides, why would I want to be all stiff and trussed up like you?"

Clearly I was born to be a freewheeling exmo.

Posted by: watermelon ( )
Date: January 19, 2014 12:39PM

I am still mad about wearing them in my 20's when I had a good body. It really ruins newlyweds sex life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.