Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 06:19PM

The core topic of last night's fireside that I mentioned earlier was: "The God Who Wept". The authors of the so-named book gave a presentation whose core idea was that TSCC was the first church who introduced the idea of merciful God – the God who wept.

You might think NT God was much brighter and ligher than the God of OT.. but this book has the Mormon point-of-view: since the God is Jesus (or since Jesus is the God), he's the one who is merciful, and weeps.

Conversely, that would then mean that few thousands of years earlier (OT time) Jesus was a whole bunch meaner (assuming the teaching that OT God = NT God), or that God (the father) is a much meaner fellow than his son. It would also mean that "God" (the father) is a guy who lives near star Kolob as a flesh-and-bones guy. TBMs gobbled up the presentation. As a plus the lady had a British accent which impressed people even more.

It's interesting to note that this kind of talks happen entirely within the Mormon bubble. Yes, as long as all the assumptions about the Mormonverse are in place, then it might be a nice book. Too bad all those assumptions are wrong, and so the authors as well as the audience were just spinning their spiritual wheels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2014 06:22PM by Facing Tao.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 06:24PM

Yes, as long as they are busy wondering if celestial demi-god bodies shed tears or if an omnipotent god can be perfect and still cry...

They aren't thinking about the church having the Book of Abraham papyri since the 60's and continuing to tell the members it was lost in a museum fire.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 07:33PM

John 11:35. Jesus wept.

Shortest verse in the bible.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 10:24PM

Which is why we know Christ as our advocate with the father. BTW, Christ being the God of the OT is very different from the Savior from Nazareth. IOWs, Christ is not the same as Yahweh.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 10:48PM

That sounds bizarre.

It reminds me of other mythology where one god will help protect humans from the wrath of other gods.

Advocate? Can't you just hear Jesus saying, "Look Yahweh. I died for those sinners. Quit being such a psycho. You're scaring them. And no, you don't get another blood payment from me."

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 07:53PM

They really have done no research into Christian religious history to even think "that TSCC was the first church who introduced the idea of merciful God – the God who wept." I'm not even Christian and yet I know that historically the God of Catholicism and the God of the Calvinists is completely different. It's embarassing when they put their ignorance out there like that. The problem is, most Mormons also don't know any better, and won't research it because, someone at church told them it was true.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 10:53PM

"When Alexander looked upon the breadth of his empire he wept -- for there were no more new worlds to conquer..."

Well, he told everyone he was god.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 10:53PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.