Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: peacelovemoana ( )
Date: January 23, 2014 08:54PM

A few relatives of mine recently posted this on Facebook: http://www.lds.org/church/news/research-supports-lds-dating-guidelines?lang=eng

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 23, 2014 09:18PM

I'm sure that this is peer reviewed. Right?

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: January 23, 2014 09:44PM

Well, LDS dating guidelines are pretty broad. It kinda boils down to:

-- No premarital sex
-- Wait until you're 16
-- Go with chaperones
-- No drinking or other disinhibitors

No premarital sex means no unwanted children. Having chaperones reduces probability of sexual assault or unwanted contact.

On the margins, you probably will help a kid or two from making a mistake. However, for the most part, you're just dealing with an epic dose of selection bias. Somebody inclined to follow those rules is already reasonably responsible and will already handle himself/herself appropriately on dates.

Posted by: Garrett Schwanke ( )
Date: January 23, 2014 10:11PM

To say that "research confirms prophetic counsel" is a gross, disingenuous overstatement. I'm certain that the researchers gave no such testimony in the academic paper cited by the article...

I love how "world view" is trivialized by using quotation marks--a hallmark of unmitigated bias and propaganda.

They're trying to shove a square peg in a round hole, so to speak.

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: January 23, 2014 11:05PM

All the LDS guidelines do is basically magnify the human desire to have sex by a billion times through repression and guilt, so that the second people think they are attracted to each other they get married because they want to screw and can't wait any longer. Heaven forbid you end that relationship which would have permitted sex and start all over! Who knows how long it would be before you meet someone else that you could get married to...the torture of having to wait until marriage completely overshadows all else and people rush into marriage because of it.

Oh but wait there's more! People then STAY in those marriages because of pressure within the church even if they are extremely unhappy. In tscc only situations of abuse and other extreme cases are merit for the big D word. So they often end up like my parents, who are miserable and have basically been roommates for decades, all because my dad has been convinced that it will all be fixed in the next life and therefore worth the hell he's going through in this life.

Peachy.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: January 23, 2014 11:19PM

Isn't it wonderful that Joseph Smith upheld these important LDS standards in his interactions with young women. He couldn't even wait until they turned 16 to boink them behind his wife's back.

If research supports an LDS belief, research is valuable. If research disproves an LDS belief, that silly research is of no importance. The researchers are not modern day prophets.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 23, 2014 11:26PM

Awesome.
Research supports drinking coffee.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/coffee/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.