Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jujubee ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 02:36PM

The harlot Isabel - Isabel is actually a European varient of the Hebrew Elisheva -- so North American people just happened to used a name varient of a European name?

Alma - usually Alma is a feminine name in religous texts - it is actually derives from latin, which makes it unlikely that North Americans would have it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fakemoroni ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 02:46PM

Date: January 28, 2014 02:51PM

whut??

Posted by: fakemoroni ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 03:01PM

Moroni, Comoros (Islands).

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 04:16PM

The Smith family once invested in a shipment of herbs, that was lost, when the ship carrying their package suck off the Comoros Islands, near the capital city of Moroni. Coincidently, Comoros sounds a lot like Cummorah, where the Angel Moroni showed Smith the plates.

Another favorite, the Smiths knew a guy with the last name Lemuel, their landlord who they may have had a rough relationship with, and another man named Laman, who I believed was a business associate. Both found their names in the Book of Mormon.

The best one of all was Benjamin King, who was a circuit minister. All the town people would come out, pitch their tents around Benjamin King's podium, and then listen, in a way that was very similar to the story of King Benjamin. Interesting enough, King Benjamin's farewell speech is a clear plagiarism of another circuit riding minister's (not Benjamin King though) very own farewell sermon, that he had given his final time around his route, before his retirement.

Date: January 28, 2014 04:59PM

Gotcha.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 02:54PM

Sarah became Sarah in part because her original name, Sarai, was a pagan name. No Hebrew would have been named Sariah. JS merely merged Sarah and Sarai, splitting the difference, so to speak. Nephi came from Nephilim who were a people said to be giants and who died in the flood according to Genesis. BTW, outside of moism, Alma is a woman's name only. JS is the kind of prophet who would have erroneously named a boy "Sue".

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 05:09PM

Nephi is also in the Apocrypha.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 02:55PM

Zelph

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 03:27PM

BoM is a logic seive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2014 03:28PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: TW-RM ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 03:32PM

Timothy in 3rd Nephi is another good one. I guess there were Greeks selling gyros when Jesus showed up in North America.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 04:02PM

"Lucifer" is a big one.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 04:05PM

I discuss all of these in my article on linguistic problems in Mormism at http://packham.n4m.org/linguist.htm

Date: January 28, 2014 04:06PM

This is great! Thank you for sharing the link

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 04:16PM

That's one of the first things I read right before I left the church. Fascinating. Thanks Richard for all you do.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 04:57PM

+

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 12:55PM

This is important information, but when you try to share it with a TBM their eyes usually glaze over after about three sentences.

I would suggest finding someone who is good at writing for mass audiences and produce a few youtube videos that could be referenced. Do the heartsale that the morg uses against them.

Find somebody engaging to narrate them.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 01:20PM

From RP's link, this is beyond impressive Richard:

"My interest in language in general and foreign languages in particular began when I was a child. When I was in high school I took every foreign language the school offered (Latin and Spanish), and when I began college I continued that study, with the intention of becoming a language teacher. I continued with Spanish, and also learned French and German, graduating with a major in German and minors in Spanish and English. My master of arts degree was in German, after which I began to teach (Latin, German and English). During that time I also studied Russian. I then had the opportunity to work toward a doctorate in historical and comparative linguistics, and spent four years in graduate school, learning Anglo-Saxon, Old Icelandic, Gothic, Sanskrit, classical Greek, Old and Middle High German, as well as extensively studying comparative and historical linguistic methodology. In the years since I have also studied Mandarin Chinese, Esperanto and Hebrew, and acquired a reading knowledge of Dutch and Italian. During my teaching career of thirty-five years I used comparative linguistic techniques in the classroom. I have found that my knowledge and experience with the phenomena of language give me a somewhat unusual perspective on Mormonism."

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 05:08PM

Posted by: Facing Tao ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 01:23AM

Has anyone looked into the names of the places on the Holley map, and seen whether all the actual (non-BoM) place names that are pointed out actually existed at the time of JS? This was a counter to it when I brought it up, but I haven't had time to look into it further..

Posted by: pacoman ( )
Date: January 28, 2014 08:20PM

Really what about the city of nahom which is mentioned before it was ever found.

Date: January 29, 2014 09:40AM

The discovery of 'NHM' in the arabian peninsula is not as significant as the apologists lead you to believe

http://www.mormonthink.com/book-of-mormon-problems.htm#nhm

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 01:06PM

I just browsed the MT article and did not find any reference to this helpful bit from the Maxwell crowd listing 10 pre-BoM Arabian maps with some variation of the name.

http://publications.maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/fullscreen/?pub=1413&index=6

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 09:16AM

The ancient Egyptians never called themselves such. They called Egypt "Kemet"(The Black Land) in reference to fertile soil surrounding the river Nile. The Greeks (who in their own language call themselves Hellenes) gave the world the name Egypt from the eponymous mythological Aegyptus who was the son of Io and the Nile. By the Mormons own chronology the Flood took place before the existence of ancient Greece.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 09:19AM by anybody.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 29, 2014 01:11PM

Isabel - Corantion and Boyd Packer's favorite harlot. Another Latin origin name. Oops!

Also I think the fact that so few women in the BOM are even deserving of names raises a question.

If Nephi loved his wife so much, why is her name absent from his record? Is she too holy to mention by name--like heavenly mother?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.