Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 12:34AM

Why does trolling occur? What is the point of it? I am not joking. I really want to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 12:38AM

You will find a lot of them as you look through these -
http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/

The one I just outed is an interesting case when you read the two threads knowing the puppet is the same person. A not so subtle case of trying to advance the cause of LDSInc. Why they waste their time? Now that I couldn't tell ya!

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 12:41AM

boredom. or perhaps the cause of most all of the world's problems...self-important fools with too much time on their hands.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 12:45AM

It's probably a missionary who is bored out of his mind; so he decides to have a conversation with himself on an exmo forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2014 12:45AM by hangar18.

Posted by: washings and annoyings ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 12:52AM

I think the reason for trolling is to create trouble. I was confused too. I looked it up. A better word might be "trawling" as in a commercial fishing boat dragging a net around to catch things. Or for those of us who don't fish, trolling as in going around in a smaller weekend fishing boat on a reservoir with the trolling motor on. I guess.

So TBMs posting here are fishing for trouble.

I guess I fell for it by responding to the troll/trawler that they'd be back.

I think we'd all like to create trouble for the Morg (like exposing that it's fake as much as we can to everybody) but I'm not sure that's trolling. Might be a secondary mission of recovering.

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 12:57AM

Some companies employ people to do it. Perhaps it's a 21st Century duty of the Strengthening Church Members Committee or Danites or.....or...maybe just a couple of 40 yr old single TBM men sitting around in their fancy underpants feeling manly behind the veil of the internet.

Posted by: October Crapshoot ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 01:34AM

With internet comes: idiots, snot nosed kids, bored teens, etc etc = trolling

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 01:46AM

THANKS. As a troll doll collector, I feel better that it is not about those cute (sometimes not so cute) guys in Norweigan folklore. Sure does seem like a big waste of time though.

iplayedjoe - your is response is a true LOL

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 01:46AM

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 01:54AM

The term is often overused for people who hold contrarian views to the majority.

The term of troll is often used as TBMs paint 'anti' material.

In the case of the poster who made the statement about rejoining the LDS church, perhaps he or she was attempting to stir the pot.

However, I think it was a good idea for admin to leave the thread up. Yes this is a private board that does have the right to remover anything. However, when that is done, it weakens the pursuit of the information people are looking for.

If the information is flawed or deceptive, it is better to be exposed through the discussion rather than by simple disappearance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2014 02:02AM by deco.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 06:59AM

There was a time when trouble makers used to stir up trouble with most threads. The point was to divert conversations from the morg and to drive away those attempting to use RfM for recovery.

They also harvested posts out of context to use on LDS sites in order to demean exmos, discount the idea of recovery, and to glorify the LDS faith.

If I was away from the board for a day or two, these creeps would use my name to make racist homophobic statements in an attempt to undermine exmos generally.

I'm thankful to admin for taking the time to delete crackpots and TBMs who would have long ago taken over RfM and shut down if they could.

Posted by: caligrace ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 02:48PM

I agree that sometimes it's best to just let the board respond to trolls

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 01:59AM

Envy.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 02:23AM

-Attention seeking/Lonely
-Personality disorder

The sock-puppeting where this troll disagreed with his/her own original post was interesting. I think Susan regularly hunts 'em down and boots them out, but this time we got to watch Sus skewer it.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 07:14AM

Do you suppose any of them are senior missionaries and/or young missionaries waiting for their visas? I once knew of a couple missionary who were tasked with finding, buying, or even stealing so-called "anti-Mormon" books from bookstores and libraries, then turning them in for disposal. If they have them doing that, they certainly have them trolling and commenting.

Posted by: 3X (NLI) ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 10:59AM

Another potential motive: reinforcing/protection of 'testimony' ...

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 11:18AM

There was a landmark book in the 70s from Berne, "Games People Play". He described common roles that people get into with each other. My favorite game was called 'Lets you and him fight'. Some people just really get off on setting others up to disagree.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 03:05PM

Power trip.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 03:06PM

trolling is very useful on the babycenter board. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.