Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cheese ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 02:10PM

Hi Ladies.

With V-day coming up, I was just wondering what your favorite gifts have been?

Are chocolates and roses sure signs of him half-assing it?

Are you tired of the infamous 'Coupon Book'? i.e. "Good for one cleaning of the garage"

Or better yet, what was the worst V-day fail gift you ever got?

Go ahead and pile on....we've probably got it coming.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 02:27PM

This always puzzles me....the last line of your post....to the Ladies....

"Go ahead and pile on....we've probably got it coming."

Why do "we" (men) have it coming to us? Why does Valentines Day seem to be more about women than men? What do women do for their men? Aren't men the womens sweethearts and fully deserving of gifts, cards, chocolate, sex, etc? Why don't women have anything coming to them? I guess I don't care for the stereo type perhaps.

My never-mo wife said it best before we got married years ago....."you're not into all that stuff like Valentines and Anniversary gifts are you?"...........Amen to that!

We don't do anything unless we want to, and if one doesn't, no biggie. We've never had an issue over what one did for the other on any holiday.

Posted by: cheese ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 02:32PM

So true.

I forgot that any gender based self-deprecating humor is un-welcomed.

My bad.

Oh, and by the way.....take a friggin chill pill.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 09:43PM

"Go ahead and pile on"

You should have been more clear about who could and who could not pile on. :)

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 02:38PM

I HATE all those "He went to Jared" commercials too! Not all women are so superficial!

How come SHE doesn't go to Jared? Get him something nice?

I hate the emphasis on fancy stuff... when we got married we could not afford an engagement ring. I can't tell you how many of my co-workers and acquaintances told me I wasn't REALLY engaged without a ring. I said "Nuts" to most; a few others I had choicer words for.

I told my husband long before we were married that I was not into all the Valentine junk. Phonus bolonus holiday. I make him a silly card and he does the same for me and that's it.

My birthday is just a few days after that, though, and I frankly admitted to him that I am a big old baby about my birthday!

Posted by: bishop Rick ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 08:12PM

I need one who doesn't celebrate Christmas as well.

Posted by: BirdUncaged ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 02:36PM

I love Valentine's Day! But I hate all the crappy pressure for diamonds and commercially bought showing of affection. I don't want to be bought. I want to be loved. And I want to give love. The best gift has always been being away from the kids, eating in or out (doesn't matter), having conversation about dreams and supporting each other, having slow or fast--but uninterrupted sex...and giving whatever is given that expresses our love personally. Best gift ever? A cheesy calendar of him being a beefcake 12 times (one a month) for just me. Flaws and laughs and all.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 02:41PM

Who isn't into the whole V-day thing. I don't wear diamonds and find the whole industry corrupt and deplorable.

BF asked me if I wanted flowers this year. I told him if he felt the need to get me something, to make it something useful. Otherwise, I'm indifferent to the whole orgy of commercialized romance.

Although, one year he did take me to see The Vagina Monologues at UVU and that was a wonderful gift.

Posted by: No Mo Lurker ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 02:44PM

Hubby and I have a long-standing Valentine's tradition. We purchase some filet mignons at a very nice butcher shop. He grills the steaks, I do the side dishes and we pick up a nice bottle of wine. We spend the evening at home enjoying ourselves and avoid the Valentine's dinner craziness.

And we buy each other cards. We have a funny joke that he always buys me mushy cards and I always buy him the funny ones.

I'm not a huge jewelry person. I have a few good pieces I wear a lot, but I'm fine with everything else being costume. I'd rather he went somewhere else than Jared, personally. (Like Hobby Lobby, Hancock Fabrics, Michael's or any other craft store)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 02:45PM

I was dating a guy who unexpectedly showed up one morning whilst I was in the shower. He gave me some yellow daffodils that he picked from from his back garden. I didn't even remember that it was Valentine's Day. He was poor as a church mouse and didn't have any money to spare and that was all he could afford to give me. It was the best present I've ever had.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 03:53PM

You're a rare person to be able to appreciate a gift like that.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 06:30PM

Posted by: dumped99 ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 03:09PM

Hmm best gift was a pink handmade penguin stuffed animal holding chocolates. It was cute bc penguins are my favorite animals. I guess it was thoughtful because it was handmade and he remembered I loved penguins!

Posted by: Lorenzo's Ho ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 03:14PM

It's definitely gonna be wine, this year!

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 03:17PM

One Valentines' Day night around 8 o'clock I noticed a cement worker in shorts at Safeway going from aisle to aisle. He was not handsome and dried cement was sticking to the hair on every part of his body that was exposed.

He filled his cart with: Candles, Vogue, Cosmopolitan, People, fruit, bunches supermarket flowers, potted plants, bath salts (for the bath), ice cream, cookies, candy, and on and on.

I thought, what a lucky girl!

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 03:37PM

Maybe he was getting Valentine's Day gifts for his construction crew? :)

Posted by: God-Zilla ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 09:39PM

More than one girlfriend, seems to me.

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 03:23PM

The best thing he got me was a card with words missing and candy hearts filled in the missing spots. But I am easy and do not like flowers.

Valentines day is about me and then we celebrate "male Valentines day" on March 14th. (I am extra excited for March 14th this year!) So if you know what March 14th is then you know what I get him. ;)

I like Valentines to be about me. He makes me dinner and give me a little chocolate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 03:24PM by sizterh.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 03:29PM

Take it to the next level and celebrate June 28 as well:
http://tauday.com

Date: February 12, 2014 04:14PM

I was so confused . . . I went to that site and was reading about pi and tau and did not see the connection. Then I realized pi =3.14. I don't think that is what started "Steak and BJ Day." I think it is just one month after Valentines Day.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 04:18PM

I didn't realize there was an alternate 3/14, I learned something new. And now I really need to celebrate your version. ;)

Date: February 12, 2014 04:27PM

Same here and now I will also make him a pie.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 03:28PM

A puppy.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 04:05PM

What Valentine's gifts? LOL

Posted by: bigblueexmo ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 04:23PM

Not a lady but married to one =)

She's always gotten flowers, chocolates, jewelry, and such but this year I went with something different and got her "the Harry Potter Library" a hardback collection of canonized "side" books to the main series.
I've been told this is the best Valentine's Day gift ever.

YMMV should your respective ladies not enjoy the JK Rowling Universe as much

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 04:30PM

a divorce (j/k)

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 08:47PM

lostinutah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a divorce (j/k)

My divorce was finalized Feb13! Wonderful timing!

Posted by: visiting ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 04:32PM

I'm probably not your typical female. You want to buy me flowers? Don't do it on Valentine's Day. Surprise me some other time so I know you're thinking of me. I don't want what's expected.

My husband loves spoiling me with jewelry, expensive handbags and lingerie. It's sweet but I don't get excited over things like that.

What I DO like...

Being surprised with breakfast in bed. Even better if he brings two forks so he can eat with me! Or taking a long, hot bubble bath together in a candle lit room. Champagne and strawberries, yes. A love letter? Great! My heart will melt.

Gifts of time are better than anything purchased. I'd rather have the memories, any day.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 05:48PM

I am one of the luckiest guys I know. My gal isn't into any holiday drama (no X-mas, no Easter, no Valentine's Day, no big deal on birthdays, etc.). Instead we are kind and appreciative of each other EVERY DAY. We give to each other throughout the year which make "special days" like Valentine's Day insignificant. We don't have to tell each other "I love you" everyday or after every phone conversation because we KNOW we love each other. By not doing so in such an off-handed way, when we do say it, it has much greater impact.

The bitches she works with all have fucked up relationships. They think she is crazy because she won't play the games that women do. Secretly they envy our relationship. She tells them she is going to write a book titled "Women Are Stupid", and that they are providing much of the material for her. Haaa haaa. One year I got her a big heart shaped box of chocolates to take into work. All of the bitches were like, "You go girl. Now you have him where you want him." When she opened the box there were five or six chocolate pieces missing. I left a sticky note that said, "I knew that all the chocolates would be gone when you came home so I took a few for myself." Her co-workers were appalled when they noticed a couple of pieces I had taken a bite out of and put back. A note said, "I didn't like these but I thought you would." After she said, "Isn't he sweet...always thinking of me" and then popped them in her mouth, they about died.

There was one last note I left her in an envelope in the box for her to open. It said, "I'm not perfect. You're not perfect. But we are perfect together." She kept it and tapes it to the inside of her day planner every year. It is getting a little worn now. Perhaps time for a new one.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 06:26PM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 08:30PM

This is beautiful. :-)

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 07:18PM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 10:10PM

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 07:31PM

I received a "will clean ...." coupon book once and it was by far one of my favs! I don't think that's lame at all. But then again, I'm not a super frilly girl that needs flowers and I don't even like chocolate. Clean my house. Make my day to day easier. Those are the best gifts to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 07:33PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: braindead ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 08:41PM

Best Valentines Day gift...My hubby made our then 22 year old college student son go out to a university sponsored Valentines speed dating activity so we could be alone for the evening.... our son came back with his future bride to be! Greatest Valentines ever!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 08:58PM by polly.

Posted by: braindead ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 08:48PM

Mr. Happy - very sweet post! Love it!

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 08:43PM

I was a creative child and vday was an opportunity to make things for my family. I usually made bfs cute cookies or favorite food items and homemade cards. I was content with whatever I got. It was more about me enjoying doing things for others, sending vday cards to elderly aunts, making big personalized heart cookies for friends and kids.

I had one bf who gave me a gift that meant he understood me very well. He arrived at my house and,there was a string hanging out a breast pocket of his winter coat. Being a very curious person, I pulled the string and it was a small xmas ornament for me. He knew I could not resist pulling the string. I prided myself on being spontaneous and unpredictable, but it turned out I was predictably curious, which put me in a quandary.

Posted by: librarykim2 ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 09:16PM

We usually go out for a nice supper the day before or day after Valentine's day. This weekend, we are driving about an hour north to a town with a great downtown area. Just going to spend time together and ignore the rest of the world.

If there is something in particular I want, I tell him and give him options. Example: one year I wanted a set of gold hoop earrings. I found examples of 5 styles I liked and he picked out one. I'm still surprised and he gets me what I want. Yay. And he does the same for me.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 10:09PM

I got to turn it around when we broke up.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 12, 2014 10:19PM

Chocolate diamond ring by Levian. My favorite piece of jewelry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.