Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thederz ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 04:34PM

Recently I had lunch with a friend from church. We've both been inactive for close to two years. My friend whose in his 20's works with a single mom from our ward who reluctantly still attends meetings.

I heard through the grapevine that our current bishop messaged her on facebook, and said "If you don't come to church we won't be able to continue to help you".

A few hours later the bishop called her apologizing for how that might of come across, and just wanted to explain to her that the church has to help people in order of activity.

Not that I didn't know this went on, but to be so blatantly obvious about it is weird. Do they really struggle to understand why people are leaving?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 04:36PM

The Good Samaritan was a sap. Instead of giving aid with no strings attached, he could have extorted compliance to his whims. Idiot.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 07:02PM

"The church has to help people in order of activity."

Huh. Would love to see that in writing.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 12:45PM

...a new essay on that exact topic is in the works.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 02:48PM

Putting it in writing -- just telling your story -- doesn't make it true. The plural of anecdote is not evidence. I think what the previous poster meant was, "I'd love to see a communication in writing directly from a bishop or stake president who held assistance hostage until church attendance was documented."

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 08:52PM

No, that is NOT the reason TSCC won't help.

It's expensive to build luxury malls and commercial buildings in Philidelphia.

It's expensive to mount a legal defense against fraud allegations in the United Kingdom.

It's expensive to buy up huge amounts of land in Florida and other places.

It's expensive to run the Polynesian Cultural Center, their other Hawaiian resorts, private hunting reserves for VIP Morgbots, etc.

I could go on, but you get the picture.

TSCC has PLENTY OF MONEY for things they want to spend on. Yet, they don't seem to have a single dime when it comes to helping their members -- even when those same members have paid years of tithing.

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: February 16, 2014 09:47PM

I was a full tithe payer for years and I came on hard times when I just moved into the ward- didn't have any money for food let alone tithing so I hadn't paid a FULL tithe (still paid what I could) for a few months. I asked the bishop for help. Said he couldn't help since I wasn't a FULL tithe payer and to come back and ask again in a few months when I had paid all my tithing.

Thanks, I will be dead by then, you dick.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 02:39AM

That is just disgusting. How these people can call themselves a church is beyond me. They extort money from all members and their help is always "conditional".

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 03:23AM

Worst insurance plan ever.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 12:34PM

they are looking for the opportunity to extort a person.

We will help you if you agree to our terms, conditions and policies.

You will owe us, so if you are prosperous in the future we can capitalize on that.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 01:05PM

They could help people if they wanted to but their priorities are business, then members who pay to support those businesses, then PR opportunities with other churches/organizations THEN real need.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 03:49PM

BTW, mere attendance is not necessarily enough. When DW and I needed some help, the bish tried to get us to do weekly work in the temple. Only because my DW was unable because of stairs, were we let out. But I was called to head the ward cleaning crew. Note that for 32 years we had virtually perfect attendance.

One should note that even love in TSCC is conditional. I like not only the story of the Good Samaritan, but also how Christ treated the Samaritan woman. He also healed without a requirement of payment or even thanks. He did not condition his love and clearly loved even Peter who denied him three times.

But in TSCC everything is conditional. And if we fail to tithe not only now but until we die - we lose. And if we succumb to the wiles of, heaven forbid, tea or coffee - all is lost. Or if we fail to wear the required undergarments, or speak with apostates as friends - all is lost.

Thank God I left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2014 03:57PM by rhgc.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 06:09PM

If you are near destitute but you pay tithing on what little you make, then we will generously give some of it back to you and make you work in the church storehouses for it and take away all your dignity.

Meanwhile, have you been saving your money, instead of paying tithing, you might have enough for your needs.

Posted by: Elder Hugh Janus ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 10:48PM

Welcome to moremoneyism. What you gotta do is secretely get this on video recording with audio, then post it on youtube and blog about it. expose it for what it is, a sham scam

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 12:17AM

If you save ten percent of your income in a money market retirement account, you will be able to take care of yourself in old age. Then there will be more government funds for those poorer than you. The Mormon church doesn't even factor in this equation. They grab family resources with no return other than castles in the sky.

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 12:38AM

When I hear this I always think:

"You'll never find someone like me again!" the Ex said "That's simply the plan" I replied.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.