Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 10:34PM

ok, to get technical, they probably don't "get" their own planet. I'm guessing they probably "create" their own planet.

Slight legal nuance there :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 11:27PM

. . . the technically-speaking Lord

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 10:42PM

"People commonly latch on to the most outrageous or unique aspects of religions, such as Amish people using horse and buggy, and that's how the perception of Mormons inheriting their own planets became widespread, Givens said."

Those crazy Amish people. Horses and buggies? It can't be.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 10:52PM

I hope that article was published with a bold border around it with the word 'ADVERTISEMENT' at the top. That is exactly what that is and tscc should stop blowing money on PR and just tell the truth.

There is no way I could go into a church meeting and discuss and provide answers that I last did in 1996. I wouldn't even recognize more than half the teachings I was taught.

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 11:15PM

No this is a total mess for them. The Essays are there for plausible deniability, not to be read or have articles written about. These articles just reinforce that there is something wrong with them and they are weird. The comments are great too.

Date: February 27, 2014 11:23PM

I agree with your assessment of the topic papers. But publicity about them - who has ever given squat about what they add to the recesses of the morg website. Certainly not a UK paper.

There is no person interviewed to give comment of "why was I taught this all my life and felt it was important because it came from a profit and was reenforced by later profits, I guess some revelation happened that I missed."

The morg is trying to prop up UK opinion about them with this article and the DM made money on it not because it moved papers or produced web hits, but because an overpaid PR firm for a cult was willing to pay for the space.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 11:24PM by templeendumbed.

Posted by: Elder Strangelove ( )
Date: February 27, 2014 11:24PM

First of all, I have an older sister that will be very disappointed. She gets giddy contemplating the day she can create dragons and her own dinosaurs on her own planet. No joke.

Second, wait, what?! We don't get our own planets?

A quote from the above link says:

"The intent of the articles is to give Mormons and non-Mormons definitive places to go to study or learn about doctrinal issues."

Um. Wasn't the entire point of the restoration to eliminate confusion and reveal God's truth in plainness? Here we are, nearly 200 years later, and the church is finally getting around to giving us a place to get some definitive doctrine?

How are TBMs still TBMs? Mormonism is the ultimate anti-mormonism!

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 02:00AM

Elder Strangelove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First of all, I have an older sister that will be
> very disappointed. She gets giddy contemplating
> the day she can create dragons and her own
> dinosaurs on her own planet. No joke.
>
You should post that in the online comments.

Date: February 28, 2014 12:28AM

. . . the Mormon Church is going to be in real trouble.

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 12:33AM

^^this

Date: February 28, 2014 12:53AM

Because they are going to lazily cover the case in a one sided simplistic manner?????? I have no idea how you got that from this article.

Date: February 28, 2014 01:01AM

"templedumbed," you have shown a habit recently of misreading and/or misinterpreting my posts. I would suggest you consider returning your Urim and Thummim back for a refund. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2014 05:52AM by steve benson.

Date: February 28, 2014 01:16AM

Oh yes prisoners were taken in this puff piece.

Date: February 28, 2014 01:18AM

Date: February 28, 2014 02:29AM

Whuuuuuuuut? You must be PUI!!!

huffing and puffing wtf??? You are a spastic!

Date: February 28, 2014 02:46AM

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 12:47AM

... a full refund of my MANDATORY tithing payments.

(After all, being a "Fetal Deity" loses a lot of its cache if I don't own any turf to play with.)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 01:44AM

You don't get a planet
You're a dupe, goddammit
You gave up your family
For your church insanity

Your underwear is sick
You look just like a hick
Why do your selfish labors
Alienate the neighbors?

Date: February 28, 2014 02:43AM

Is it the moon phase that has brought out the poet tonight? Whatever it is its good stuff!!!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 02:14AM

Well F*ck this S*it -
"
The Mormon Church is pushing back against the notion that members of the faith are taught they'll get their own planet in the afterlife, a misconception popularized in pop culture most recently by the Broadway show 'The Book of Mormon.'- I would sue. This just sucks. No planet? Might as well quit then.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 02:54AM

Looks like poor, misguided Dylan will have to update his I'm a Mormon profile:

http://mormon.org/me/9qq6

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 03:01AM

https://www.lds.org/new-era/print/1994/06/view-from-celestial-ridge?lang=eng&clang=eng
New Era 1996: I decided if I made it to the highest kingdom and was able to create my own worlds, this is what mine would look like.

https://www.lds.org/new-era/1972/10/mans-dominion?lang=eng&query=own+worlds
New Era 1972: A favorite theme of Brigham Young was that the dominion God gives man is designed to test him, to enable him to show to himself, his fellows, and all the heavens just how he would act if entrusted with God’s own power; if he does not act in a godlike manner, he will never be entrusted with a creation of his own, worlds without end.

http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=705
SWK 1973: The training you get in the universities, while excellent, is limited. It is but a very tiny percentage of the total knowledge. We encourage knowledge and its proper use, but we know there will be a thousand years to study about things, and compared to the years spent in universities, that great learning period is relatively limitless. When we’re ready to create our own worlds and give leadership thereto, we will have great knowledge.

http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=821
Henry B Eyring 1980: As we walked out, my brother and I went to the car together, smiled, and looked up at the mountains. We remembered how Mother had always said she loved the mountains so much. He and I laughed and guessed that if the celestial worlds are really flat, like a sea of glass, she would be eager to get away to build her own worlds, and the first thing she’d build would be mountains.

http://mormon.org/me/9qq6
Dylan, who’s a Mormon: The church also teaches that we are here on Earth to become more like our Father in Heaven, and that we have the opportunity to become like Him and have worlds of our own. We grow up physically to become like our parents, why wouldn't we grow up to be like our spiritual parents as well?

https://www.lds.org/manual/the-latter-day-saint-woman-basic-manual-for-women-part-a/gospel-principles-and-doctrine/lesson-10-eternal-marriage?lang=eng&query=worlds+offspring
The Latter-Day Saint Woman 2000: President Lorenzo Snow taught: “When two Latter-day Saints are united together in marriage, promises are made to them concerning their offspring that reach from eternity to eternity. They are promised that they shall have the power and the right to govern and control and administer salvation and exaltation and glory to their offspring, worlds without end. And what offspring they do not have here, undoubtedly there will be opportunities to have them hereafter. What else could man wish? A man and a woman, in the other life, having celestial bodies, free from sickness and disease, glorified and beautified beyond description, standing in the midst of their posterity, governing and controlling them, administering life, exaltation and glory worlds without end”

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2013/08/worlds-without-number
Dieter Uchtdorf, 2011 (quoted in the August 2013 Ensign): This is a paradox of man: compared to God, man is nothing; yet we are everything to God. While against the backdrop of infinite creation we may appear to be nothing, we have a spark of eternal fire burning within our breast. We have the incomprehensible promise of exaltation—worlds without end—within our grasp. And it is God’s great desire to help us reach it.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 03:28AM

So, will they now change their scriptures?

Supposedly Jesus Christ said directly to Joseph Smith in D&C 132:20

"20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have call power, and the angels are subject unto them."

Who lied? Jesus Christ or Joseph Smith? One of them must have lied, unless the current church leaders are lying?

Whomever of the three has lied, they are toast on this and many other teachings.

I was personally ordained to be a God by Elder Ballard in the Preston England Temple. Even to be a member of a Godhead.

Was that all false?

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 03:38AM

Not false, just de-emphasised ;)

Posted by: candidexmormon ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 04:53AM

Tom, I sincerely hope that you and your legal team manage to get all of the past deceptions and all of the relevant points regarding the church's recent changes in doctrine, policies and downright lies, out in the open and fully disclosed during the court case as it goes forward.
Their immense wealth has made them incredibly arrogant and has lulled them into a false sense of security. Their vast riches has made them feel impregnable but careless, and their days of hiding from the truth are surely over.
These cunning and manipulative conmen deserve all that's coming to them and I hope their crimes are fully publicised in graphic detail in the court room and throughout the world's media for all to witness.
Great job and good luck.

Posted by: greensmythe ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 04:17AM

Wait a minute... the scholar who is applauding the series of postings...I seem to recognize that name...

"The series of postings have been applauded by religious scholars who say the church is finally acknowledging some of the most controversial or sensitive parts of its history and doctrine that it once sidestepped.

'The church has become fully aware that scholarship and history is a double edge sword,' said Terryl Givens, professor of literature and religion and the James Bostwick Chair of English at the University of Richmond. 'They can work in the church's favor, but they can also be unsettling.'"

Oh yes! Its none other than the James Bostwich Chair of English!

but they don't mention that the one "scholar" they quote who is applauding the church's openness is one of the biggest schills for the cult. the church could publish an essay about Kolob being a giant polished turd and these scholars would be "applauding"

Posted by: Sunshine ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 04:27AM

Does this mean the endowment is wrong? Honestly, so easy for tom to prove in court they are all lying shits.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 04:34AM

If someone plants lies in a newspaper in order to affect the outcome of a forthcoming trial, are they not attempting to pervert the course of justice?

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 04:51AM

and I'm wondering why anyone would think it says people don't get their own planets. It does not say that.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 05:10AM

... the belief in getting one's own planet is reduced to a "caricature" that "few Latter-day Saints would identify with ...." [Whatever that means.]

https://www.lds.org/topics/becoming-like-god?lang=eng

What I do know is that when I was growing up (70's and 80's), this "caricature" was THE primary reason for Mormonism--perhaps the single, greatest teaching that set us apart from the rest of the apostate, Christian world.

But the issue is becoming ever more convoluted. A recent news release by the church emphatically denies the planet-possessing idea of Mormonism:

"Do Latter-day Saints believe that they will 'get their own planet'?
"No. This idea is not taught in Latter-day Saint scripture, nor is it a doctrine of the Church."

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormonism-101#C14

Talk about covering all the bases ....

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 05:19AM

"Mormon Church reveals people do NOT get their own planets in the afterlife... despite what The Book of Mormon claims"

What an unfortunate worded title!

LOL!

The book of mormon claims that people will get their own planets...the book of mormon is the foundation of the mormon church.. AAAAAAAAaahahahahahah!

You have to read the article to figure out they mean the musical... but worded like this, it comes across as if the church is denying it's own scriptures..

Posted by: heypal ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 08:02AM

One of the comments:

"They must get their own planets, cause they certainly ain't all on this one!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.