Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 02:35PM

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/october_2010/50_of_americans_think_life_would_be_better_if_more_lived_as_christians

"Half of Americans believe that life in the United States would be better if more Americans lived as Christians. This number has dropped significantly from two years ago, when 61% thought life would be better with more Christian values...."

"...Thirty-seven percent (37%) of Americans read the Bible at least once a week, including 11% who read it every day or more than once a day. For the most part, though, Americans rarely or never read the Bible (60%). Still, eight-out-of-10 Americans (80%) say that their religious faith is at least somewhat important in their daily lives.

Perhaps not surprisingly, those who read the Bible the most are also the most certain that life would be better if more Americans lived as Christians. Among the majority—those that rarely or never read the Bible—35% agree life would be better with more Christian values, while 40% disagree and 25% are not sure...."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2010 02:36PM by jw the inquizzinator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 02:43PM

I think the number of 37% of Americans read the bible weekly is inaccurate. I don't believe that number. Even my dad who is in Catholic mass at least once a week, prays over every meal and considers himself "very" religious. I know he doesn't read the bible every week. He doesn't. Unless he would count the time at mass the he LISTENS to the bible being read to him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2010 02:44PM by bingoe4.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 05:12PM

The mean they read the word "Bible" once a week written somewhere.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 03:14PM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 03:16PM

At least that's what I heard when I was in Europe.

;)

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 03:30PM

I wonder how many would agree if you asked if they thought America would be better if:

a) Taxes were 100% and the church was given responsibility to give all their money to the poor.
b) Disbanded the military.
c) People were burned at the stake for heresy.
d) We got rid of elections and instead had the Catholic church rule the nation.
e) Got rid of the space program and taught that the earth was flat and the center of the universe.
f) Only allowed the bible and material that supports the bible to be studied in school.
g) Only laws contained in the bible could be used in the courts.

more?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 03:50PM

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if all the Bible folks could have a "great basin" somewhere, where they could immerse themselves in their Bible lifestyles completely, and enjoy their little utopias ruled by the great Christ.

Kinda like BY and the FLDS types in Utah heheh...

But I would quibble with "disband the military". I don't think any Christian civilization has ever gone without a military, so no need to disband. They'll need the military to kick non-believer butt, cuz their Lord Christ loves to eliminate and shed the blood of the evildoers and non-believers, it's like his favorite sport.

Date: October 10, 2010 03:55PM

If God wants someone dead, let him kill them. As an omnipotent being he clearly has that ability.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 04:02PM

Yeah, that works too, "armies of heaven", "angelic hosts" and all that rot.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 05:17PM

hello Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, that works too, "armies of heaven", "angelic
> hosts" and all that rot.

What? Like they'd sing them to death? Some Mormon choirs could achieve that, I think...

Date: October 10, 2010 04:05PM

No technology can be used if it is not described in the Bible.

Since Jesus says God loves us more than the lillies of the field they must live off the land. They cannot make clothes or spin fiber into clothes. No storing of food or water.

Matt 6:
28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 05:12PM

"Christian" is such a broad, vague term. Some people think "Christian" means howling about how other people live and hating gays, Muslims and immigrants.

Others think "Christian" means caring more about the poor and the environment than about who your neighbor is having sex with.

Then again, for some people, "Christian" means baptisms, marriages, Christmas and Easter.

Unfortunately, I've come to associate "Christian" with idiots saying hateful things. The exact opposite of how I read the hippy in the Bible that went by "Jesus".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2010 05:13PM by axeldc.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 05:22PM

I don't believe 60 percent of Christians don't read the Bible. Maybe not at home, but in church most have to. Bible verses are on the screen that correlate to the sermon being given. So it is there and most do read it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 08:08PM

1* Think for a moment about the phases of a human life. For most people, what are the best years of their life?

2* Okay… for most people, what are the worst years of their life?

3* For people over 65, is it better to be completely retired, to work part-time, or to work full-time?

4* How do you rate your own life today? Excellent, good, fair, or poor?

5* When you look back on high school, would you rate your high school years as a great time in your life, a good time in your life, a fair time, or a poor time?

6* Within the past month, have you done any volunteer work for a church, community organization, or charitable group?

7* What is more important in terms of serving the community—getting involved in politics or doing volunteer work for a church, community organization, or charitable group?

8* Would life in the United States be better if more Americans lived as Christians?

9* In a typical week, how often do you read the Bible?

LINK

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 10:14PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 03:14PM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 03:17PM

Okay, that's a stupid poll. It's like saying "over 50% of all Dutch citizens like cheese"... well, duh! America goes with Christianity like apple pie and french vanilla ice cream. Take that same poll question to China.

I don't get it.

Ron

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 03:20PM

There are people who want nothing to do with organized religion that still agree Christian values of treating others like you want to be treated is a good thing. Some people say they are Christian even though they don't belong to any church.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 03:23PM

Right.

There are:

1. Lies
2. Damnable lies
and
3. Statistics. :)

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.