Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: amos ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 07:54PM

...that's chemical shorthand for ethanol, ie potable alcohol.
(MeOH = methanol, don't drink it)
(PrOH = propanol, don't drink it)

So I'm visiting in a southern state and I just tried to buy beer at Walmart (TBM DW said it's OK if I drink, but she doesn't mean it, so I haven't drank. But I'm out-of-town alone, so I want to have a fine beer...was trying to buy Guinness).

The store's scanner beeps and cashier informs me I can't buy it on Sunday.

WTF???

Is this a local law, or Walmart policy?

But it got me thinkin'...

Alcohol is a sensitive subject, Mormon or not.

About 50,000 people per year die in EtOH-related traffic accidents.
I heard a quote "the deadliest drug in America is already legal, alcohol" (this was an argument in favor of legalizing marijuana).
As a non-drinking Mormon, regardless of whatever other tiger tails I was holding (the soft end of saber-toothed injustices, aka travesties), at least I was off-the-hook about alcohol, I think.

So if I buy this Guinness after all, do I buy-in to culpability for teenage drinking? DUI? Alcoholism?

And...what is the right level of government restriction on alcohol? (obviously prohibition isn't it, and I doubt it's no-Sunday-sales either).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Searching27 ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 07:57PM

alot of places in the south have dry counties(possibly other parts of the country has them also). If you want alcohol/beer you have to buy on Saturday.

Posted by: Elle Bee ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 08:21PM

There is a difference between sale time restrictions and dry counties. There are several dry counties in AR, for instance, and alcohol is not available any day of the week at any time in those counties. In my own county (in TN), alcohol sales are prohibited before noon on Sundays, but are allowed at other times...but I don't live in a dry county.

Posted by: Searching27 ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 08:44PM

that refer to themselves as dry counties and they only restrict sales on Sunday... so that is my extent of knowledge concerning "dry counties" or sale restricted areas.

Posted by: KCNative ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 07:59PM

Really depends where you live. In Indiana we still can't buy on Sunday. It's funny how much ditched liquor you see in random places around the store on Sunday when people remember they can't buy it. Here they also can't sell before the polls close on voting days.

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 08:01PM

Where I lived in TX they would cover the things you couldn't buy on Sunday. The blue laws there even stopped car sales on Sunday. I think they've loosened up a bit since then, that was a couple decades ago.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 08:42PM

You can't buy alcohol in GA or SC on Sunday. In GA, a lot of restaurants are closed on Sunday for that reason. In VA, you can't buy hard liquor (unless you're in a restaurant) or alcohol between midnight and 6:00am.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 09:36PM

>So if I buy this Guinness after all, do I buy-in to culpability for teenage drinking? DUI? Alcoholism?

Teenagers don't, generally, drink Guinness.

So don't beat yourself up.

And if you can, buy Nigerian Guinness. It has a far higher malt level and tastes even better than Irish Guinness.

Posted by: Nor Cal Law Student ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 10:12PM

What u are asking isnt allowed on this board because your questions are political in nature. I think that is stupid. The 'no politics' rule, not your questions.

I think the best things to do is to learn your own limits and always always always follow the rules which include-- Never never give EtOH to underagers
Always be respectful to others, i.e. only drink in correct settings.
Learn all you can about alcoholism and be sensitive to them and make sure u never become one.
Never ever ever drive if u are buzzed.
Volunteer to be a DD when your turn comes up (DD=designated driver)
Remember that it is a drug and that impairment can mean you dont realize u are impaired when u really are.

EtOH is one of the most defining things of human history. It can be a wonderful thing, deeply enriching your life, your health, and your relationships if you do it well.

I recommend the following books for more info

http://books.google.com/books?id=PV5UO1ELsSUC
http://books.google.com/books?id=t6LabYdVTZ8C

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 07:16PM

Nor Cal Law Student Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What u are asking isnt allowed on this board
> because your questions are political in nature. I
> think that is stupid. The 'no politics' rule, not
> your questions.

It is NOT a political question. It is a question about government which is not, in this context, the same as a political question.

Nor Cal Law Student, there are very good reasons for banning political posts.

If you don't like it, please collect your refund as you exit. Thank you! Have a nice day! ;oD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 09:14PM by matt.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 07:29PM

It *isn't* pretty. If you think the threads about "historical Jesus" are bad, you will see much worse with politics. I'm glad admin prevents it. I can take only so much emotion-driven interchange at a time.

Posted by: Shiner Bock ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 10:29PM

The Southern Baptist Nazi Assholes who run this county have made sure it's been dry ever since God was a child.

So we have to go to the next county to buy beer. The TaliBaptists are just as bad as Mormons when it comes to alcohol.

Perhaps I should point out to the Grand Ayatollah Grady (the Baptist missionary who runs all the churches here) that there is a wife swapping ring going on under his nose in the First Baptist Church. I know Grady isn't in it because that stupid fucker is way too ugly.

Geez! Some days I think I hate the Baptist Church more than the Mormon Church! Fascist all of them!

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 07:22PM

Posted by: nomomoses ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 11:57PM

I grew up in the mormon corridor, and there are quite a few laws depending on state/county/city ordinances.

But, I was totally surprised when I was stationed in Groton, CT and the stores had to cover the beer aisle with black plastic so they couldn't even be seen.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 09:13PM

They can distill it there but can't sell it for consumption there. DH and our son visited the distillery in Lynchburg, Tennessee and enjoyed telling story.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 09:59PM

I can remember back when I was growing up in NM (1991-1993 maybe) all the malls in Albuquerque closed at 6pm on Saturday night and were closed on Sundays. It's not that way now of course but a lot of towns still have laws like this.

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 12:42AM

I was in Albuquerque when the blue laws changed. It was awful at the hospitals on Sundays. The homeless folks who couldn't get beer or EtOH would drink hairspray (one can in a gallon of water) or Windex. They'd wind up dead or on dialysis. NM woke up and realized they needed to modernize..but I still think you couldn't buy it before noon or something.

On the "dry" rez, the bootleggers brought in Mad Dog. It made people sick.

To me, Guinness (I'll try Nigerian I think) or a good fume blanc is just.. civilized. It is DEFINITELY not a black or white issue.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 12:37AM

Try CH3–CH2–OH

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: February 22, 2011 02:56AM

You already get it, Dave. ET = ethyl. It's medical shorthand.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.