Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentleben ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 02:44PM

Guide on tour pointed out the painting of Mormon and moroni after the battle. Why the hell does moroni have helmet with "viking" horns on it? Vikings never had hens on their helmet!

can anybody answer before tour ends?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 02:47PM by gentleben.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 02:51PM

Friberg (sic?) Was the artist and a bit of a wildcard - he was a designer for The Ten Commandments movie - a great imagination.

Posted by: AIT ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 03:35PM

From what anachronistic animal would they even GET horns like that?

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 10:57AM

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 03:37PM

Maybe its a battle souvenir from a fallen Viking mercenary.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 03:48PM

At least there exists actual evidence of Vikings being in the new world prior to Columbus!

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 03:52PM

As aluded to above, real Vikings did not use horns on their helmets. They would have been inconvient shipboard and a hazard to self in battle. The image we have today likely came from opera costume conventions.

Vikings, however, did have steel swords. Where did Maroni & company get theirs?

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 03:55PM

It's not a helmet. It's just a hat with holes for Moroni's horns to breathe.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 03:58PM

Everybody knows Mormons have horns!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 09:39PM

Joseph Smith liked a good bowl of Miso. Miso horny.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 04:00PM

why not? crazy as any other belief...

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 04:31PM

Cureloms were horny.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 04:54PM

Wow, just wow, what an amazing peice of garbage.

http://varsinainen.blogspot.com/2011_03_22_archive.html

Posted by: Anon2 ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 11:33PM

Neil Birch writes;
Book of Mormon, 2Nephi 30: 3 And now, I (Nephi, son of Lehi and an ancestor of Mormon) would prophesy somewhat more concerning the Jews and the Gentiles (Most of us are gentiles.) For after the book (The Book of Mormon) of which I have spoken shall come forth, and be written unto the Gentiles, and sealed up again unto the Lord, there shall be many which shall believe the words which are written; and they shall carry them forth unto the remnant of our seed (The Lamanites/American Indians of our day).
4 And then shall the remnant of our seed know concerning us, how that we (Lehi and his family and all of their descendants) came out from Jerusalem, and that they (The Lamanites/American Indians) are descendants of the Jews.
5 And the gospel of Jesus Christ shall be declared among them; (The Lamanites/American Indians of our day), wherefore, they shall be restored unto the knowledge of their fathers, and also to the knowledge of Jesus Christ, which was had among their fathers (The Nephites and Lamanites of the Central American area from about 600 B.C. to 300 A.D.)
http://varsinainen.blogspot.com/2011_03_22_archive.html

And in a side column he writes; “So much is being said nowadays on the Internet by people not of the Mormon faith, about the Mormons and their beliefs. Why not learn about us Mormons from one of us. I'm not an official of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, just one of the regular members, yet I'm one who supports Mormon beliefs because I have a testimony and have had much experience that has shown me the truth. I welcome your questions and even criticisms that you have heard, about which you would like the truth. If that is the case, you've come to the right guy.”

Wow, I guess Brother Birch did not get the DNA memo that has been going around for a few days now about the Americans Indians having no trace of Jewish DNA in them. And the church is seriously wondering why investigators aren’t swarming missionaries to learn about the church of Joseph Smith. There is so much about this guy we see clutching his Book of Mormon over his heart next to a diminutive copy of a King James Bible. He was instrumental in the Indian youth student placement program of the church and also an adoption BUSINESS (his words to describe his efforts rather than, say, adoption service, which would have conveyed an entirely different message. At least he was honest in that his efforts to place infants with new families was a business, as in money motivated, enterprise.)

Of all things Mormon, the Indian youth relocation and re-culturing project and the baby selling business are two of my all time most loathed topics. And here we have the embodiment of both behind one pious, self-satisfied smile. Blarg!

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 04:57PM

They were huge fans of a certain NFL team from Minnesota...

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 04:58PM

Because they know the Book of Mormon is a ridiculous fraud, so they don't even care if it's illustrated nonsensically?

Date: March 06, 2014 06:34PM

The tour ended, I was told by some old dude that he had heard the reason, and it was symbolic, and made perfect sense, but he couldn't remember...hmmm...

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 07:26PM

Unitapircorn horns, of course.

Date: March 06, 2014 08:11PM

Ha ha!

Posted by: !!! ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 08:27PM

Well, if Freiburg (sp?) was involved in the Ten Commandments, he probably learned that there was an old tradition that Moses had horns. It comes from the Vulgate, which inaccurately translated a Hebrew word for rays of light, or shining, as horns. Michelangelo depicted Moses as having horns, so Freiburg may simply have been borrowing that motif.

That would explain the tour guide's intimation that there was a reasonable explanation for what the horns mean.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: March 06, 2014 08:49PM

It seems obvious to me that he made a side trip to TJ and had the helmet made using longhorn cattle horns. All those stripling warriors probably made him so horny he just had to commemorate it.

Date: March 06, 2014 09:46PM

don I don't know what you're smokin but don't ever quit.

:o)

Date: March 07, 2014 08:40AM

Also, according one of the guide, the Vikings did actually have horns on their helmets. I didn't press the issue because the poor sweet old lady giving the tour didn't need some anti-Mormon apostate scaring the holy Jesus out or her.

in the end however, it was a pleasant tourist day, big and spacious building not withstanding. Salt lake is a great city.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 07, 2014 10:55AM

Looking at the painting again I am struck by Freiberg's proportions. Tiny heads on Atlas sized torsos. The whole thing is beyond ridiculous.

Date: March 07, 2014 11:34AM

Some day I'd love to see some LDS apologist take on the subject of those two unknown BoM animals, the curelom and the cummom.

Just once.

Take a swing at it Danny Boy?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.