Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: and the song bird sings ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 11:51AM

I just saw this on pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/223280093997406126/

What the hell?! Do women in the church actually find this appealing? That a man will essentially buy them?

And I completely get that this is referencing Johnny Lingo, which to be honest, I haven't seen in a long time. But now that I think back on it, Johnny Lingo is a terribly sexist movie....ugh how did I never see this growing up!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 12:31PM

That movie and references to it always made me feel sick inside, even when I was TBM. UGH

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 12:45PM

The sad thing is that it was always shown to the youth.

Telling teenage girls that they are only valued for their looks.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 01:00PM

I worked with a friend from Africa who married an American guy. He had to go to Kenya to give her father several head of cattle.

Posted by: lexaprosavedme ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 01:24PM

Those quotes make my blood boil. Don't know why it makes me SO unbelievably annoyed and disgusted, but they do!!!

Posted by: Botswana Insider ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 01:25PM

I think there is a lack of cultural understanding here. I'm not defending the video, it's terrible on all levels, but I wouldn't be so quick bash other cultures.

In Botswana, even liberal, educated people still follow the tradition of lebola. There, the groom's family will pay ~12 cows to the bride's family. With increased urbanization in recent decades, many families now pay in cash instead of cows. The tradition involves lots of formal meetings between the families, negotiations, discussions of finances, and the like. In a way, the process brings the two families together.

I'm neither condoning nor criticizing the culture practice of paying a bride price, just asking that it's understood for what it is. If Americans think they've advanced past this, ask yourself why you buy an diamond ring that is worth two-months salary, why the bride's family foots the bill for wedding costing tens of thousands of dollars, why maternity leave in the U.S. trails even developing countries, etc. and etc.

I hate Mormon videos like this because they don't really get into the culture context.

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: March 10, 2014 02:57PM

Feminist Ryan Gosling would never say something so offensive!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.