Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nalicea ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 05:10PM

This year I found out that the LDS version of the Bible, really needs to bluntly be called the Joseph Smith Version, rather than the King James Version.

I remember very clearly back in High School, when we were studying the Old Testament in Seminary, and we came across Genesis. Genesis Chapter 50:33, to be exact.

"Verse 33: And that seer will I bless, and they that seek to destroy him shall be confounded; for this promise I give unto you; for I will remember you from generation to generation; and his name shall be called Joseph, and it shall be after the name of his father; and he shall be like unto you; for the thing which the Lord shall bring forth by his hand shall bring my people unto salvation."

I will never forget how I thought this proof of Joseph Smith's coming as a prophet, was some of the most profound evidence I had come across that the LDS church WAS the true church. For this proof to be in an ancient book completely seperate from the BoM, it was just another piece of information to help strengthen my testimony. I remember how my seminary teacher went on and on for almost an entire lesson, regarding the importance of this verse, and what it truly meant. We were so "blessed" to be a part of this true church in the Latter Days...

In February of this year, my older RM TBM brother sent me a private message on FB. In this message was a link on how Latter-Day Saints used to pay their tithing with slaves, sometimes, during the time of Brigham Young. I was so disgusted by this information, I had to see if this was really true. It was, and one thing after another came out of hiding regarding the true history of the church. I was thinking, there has to be something that can refute everything that I am finding, but the further I searched the more damning the evidence became. Nothing was able to pull it back out into the light. In fact, LDS church history just kept crawling deeper and deeper into a dark pit of lies, disgust, fraud, brainwashing, and deceit. When I found out that Joseph had made lots of changes to the Bible, that really piqued my interest. I remembered that "wonderful" prophecy of Joseph Smith's coming to save us all during the latter-days. So I decided to look it up in my scriptures that I have had since I was baptized. I compared that verse with online versions of KJV. This is what I found:

http://www.christiananswers.net/bible/gen50.html

http://www.catholic.org/bible/book.php?id=1&bible_chapter=50

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0150.htm

Everywhere that I look, Genesis Chapter 50 stops at Verse 26, not verse 38. The prophecy of Joseph Smith's coming isn't even there!

I did find an LDS site that shows the changes that he made compared with the original KJV, but you really have to be looking. It is kind of interesting to see what changes JS did make, if you have the time. Here is the link for that:

http://scriptures.lds.org/jst/contents

I guess I am just wondering if this prophetic verse was pushed on anyone else? When you found out the truth, how did you feel? For me, I think that this was the final nail in the coffin, before I told my family that I would no longer take part in any church activities. It was the final straw on an already towering mountain of excrement.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 05:15PM

I remember when I found that the Stripling Warrior story in the BOM had been entirely ripped off from the Bible. Made me wonder why my parents had joined the damnable cult in the first place.

Posted by: mick ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 05:25PM

Quote from Bill Maher in Religulous. Awesome movie by the way. LMAO. Too bad he got kicked off church property. Would have liked to see more about mormons.

Posted by: rwg ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 09:38PM

Wonderful job of researching. You have demonstrated that lies catch up with the liars. The Bible's books were agreed upon by councils, scholars, critics (of the 1st-4th century) kind. Available material was scrutinized by people who knew those languages, etc. There was much that was discarded at the time and all of these are known and available today. The JS BS is nowhere among those texts in entirety or fragments. So the LDS expects Mormons to believe that this crap came unto us the same way that the never-seen "golden plates" did? Cogdis at work again... Again, thanks; this should be archived.

Date: October 11, 2010 01:27PM

Thank you for the replies.

I even remember my parents using this verse during family home evening, and I remember it being emphasized to me when I was in Young Women.

When I told my mother, back in May, that I could no longer be a member in a "church" that is built on so many falsities, my mother asked for a few things that were bothering me. I only mentioned a few reasons and this was the last of the few that I brought up. Her reaction was so dramatic to what I was telling her, that I had to stop the conversation right there. She didn't believe me that this "prophecy" was written by Joseph Smith's own hand. She thought that this verse was in everyone's copy of the KJV Bible and that it had been there for centuries and she wouldn't take my word for it. She became so upset, at that point, it was like seeing a mental illness, pure brainwashing at its worst. Hence, the topic was dropped and I left her house and have never brought it up to her again.

Posted by: Mad Viking ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 02:07PM

This verse is NOT in the LDS KJV of the Bible. You may be thinking of the Joseph Smith Version.

Posted by: martinf ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 02:47PM

Joseph added this in his "inspired" translation. It's astounding when one considers with how much he could get away.

Date: October 11, 2010 03:00PM

It is in the Joseph Smith Translation of King James Version, which is the version that my entire family has, it is the version that all of my fellow church member's have, and it was the version that everybody turned to in seminary that day to look at Genesis 50:33.

8th Article of Faith:

"We believe the Bible to be the word of God, as far as it is translated correctly. We also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God."

http://en.fairmormon.org/Bible/Joseph_Smith_Translation/As_the_Church's_official_Bible

Up above is a recent question to FAIR regarding this topic and it was put up in May of 2010. I am 31, and my scriptures were given to me back when I was baptized. They are the JST of KJV. Is it not the norm for members to use the JST translation anymore, like what I have? Is the church worried about adopting the JST of the Bible now? If that is the case, that says a lot of their faith in Joseph Smith's translation, in and of itself. Or is Idaho just a weird place and everyone here has the JST of KJV?

Also, after further digging, it looks like MRM found the same thing, as well. A very interesting read, for sure.

http://mrm.org/prophecies-about-joseph-smith

Date: October 11, 2010 03:09PM

Exactly Martin. I still can't believe all of it myself and it seems as though I keep bumping into one thing after another. Thank goodness for this site, because I don't feel so alone. This is my first time posting anything, but I have read ALL of the short topics over the last several months.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 03:30PM

The KJV I have, which I acquired just before my mission, was printed by the Cambridge (UK) University press in 1956 and "Specially bound for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" and distributed by Deseret Book Company. It ends with verse 26 and does not contain Joe's "prophecy." I have no idea when, or if, the mo's started using a doctored version of the KJV; certainly no reputable publisher, such as Cambridge University Press, would have gone along with it.

Sounds-like-they-pushed-the-"inspired"-version-on-you-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 04:03PM

I too purchased my copy of the KJV thru the church in the 1970's and ch 50 ends at verse 26. I know you could buy a 'pamphlet type' JST to keep with your bible, but I have not seen a JST KJV.
However, it doesn't matter because we all know JS 'translated' some of the bible. We also know it is complete rubbish.
By the way isn't a translation taken from looking at original documents and 'translating' them into another language? JS didn't have the originals to translate from!!
Also, why haven't the prophets that followed JS continued with this work. Surely the whole bible needs to be 'translated'.
Just a thought.
Thanks for the links Nalicea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.