Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 09:06AM

I read this once and wondered if a anyone else was told this. I believe it was a coworker who told the person that they were too smart to believe Smiths stories.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Giant Scorpion ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 09:21AM

I've never met a Mormon who was too smart to be otherwise. Admittedly I've only ever met one Mormon.

Posted by: Agate ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 11:32AM

When I started looking into Mormonism, I was truly incredulous that any educated person could possibly buy into the drivel. The picture of Mitt Romney in the temple doing weird handshakes, putting on his holy underwear every morning and teaching his grand kids that the garden of Eden is somewhere in Missouri and that Joseph Smith translated these golden plates with his head stuffed in a hat, is one of the biggest reasons he didn't get my vote. And to think there are highly educated professors at BYU who believe this stuff as well!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 11:35AM

But I have been told by Mormons that I was "too smart for my own good."

Date: March 17, 2014 12:04PM

Raptor Jesus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But I have been told by Mormons that I was "too
> smart for my own good."

you sure the smart part they were referring to, wasnt your you ass?! And you were certainly smart enough to emerge from the rabbit hole, to the benefit of exmos and nomos who want the no holds barred truth about lds corp. Do you think the big boys have read your book, or have heard of it?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 01:06PM

I'm too easily dismissed. Even with some exmormons I have been dismissed as "insane."

And honestly I'm fine with that.

The book was not meant for believers. It was written for exmormons who needed help healing through laughter.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 09:03PM

That's what I heard, raptor, and from my own family. My parents had two smart sons and then some other kids. Guess who gets shunned?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 11:40AM

No one told me
I found out on my own

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 12:00PM

Yup. On my mission. A male investigator said to me and my companion, "Why do you put up with the inequality of the sexes in your church?" We gave him the whole separate but equal spiel. And, then he said. "You're such smart ladies. One day separate but equal won't be enough." He was half right. I'm out, and my old companion is still in.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 12:09PM

I told my mom that. Didn't go over too well..

Posted by: ironmann ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 12:23PM

Steve Benson told me that 20 years ago and I didn't believe him then, but I believe him now.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 02:53PM

Way to go, my friend, way to go. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 02:54PM by steve benson.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 12:40PM

Smarts can be used to rationalize.

Believing crazy stuff doesn't require that you're not smart,
just that you want to believe it. When you want truth more than
belief, then smarts start working against Mormonism.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 12:40PM

Not with those exact words, but I was told (by a tbm) that I think "too rationally/logically" or "too much like a scientist". I took it as a compliment.

Once I told some of my non-mo friends that I left mormonism, they congratulated me and told me how happy they were for me. My belief in mormonism, in their opinion, really didn't fit with the "smart" person I was. (Their words).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 12:43PM by msp.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 12:49PM

Nobody ever told me that...but I figured it out by myself....and I'm not bragging here. I've always had an inquisitive mind. "Just because" has never been a satisfactory answer so I go looking for answers and I've never been afraid of what truths I may uncover and how they might contradict with what I'm told is the truth by someone elses measure. And I've always gotten a certain perverse pleasure from poking conventional wisdom in the eye.

Ron Burr

Date: March 17, 2014 04:38PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nobody ever told me that...but I figured it out by
> myself....and I'm not bragging here. I've always
> had an inquisitive mind. "Just because" has never
> been a satisfactory answer so I go looking for
> answers and I've never been afraid of what truths
> I may uncover and how they might contradict with
> what I'm told is the truth by someone elses
> measure. And I've always gotten a certain perverse
> pleasure from poking conventional wisdom in the
> eye.
>
> Ron Burr

I know the pain of not settling for the easy answer. My mother used to say to me that if god told everyone be quiet, I would ask, why? Everyone would laugh and I would indignantly say, well, of course I would ask.

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 01:05PM

Well when I was TBM many years ago, there were certain people who I did avoid sharing the gospel (actually pretty much anyone, except when I was on my mission) to avoid getting laughed at.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 01:11PM

I wasn't told that by non-Mormons, but my TBM ex-husband said that I was too intellectual, and that I shouldn't ask too many questions. I ended up studying my way out of the church, since I didn't just rely on the whitewashed history that was taught in church. I took my ex-husband's comment about being "too intellectual" as a compliment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 01:12PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 01:21PM

I have been told, as a nevermo, on several occasions that I was a smart girl - I would "see the light" and convert to mormonism eventually by mormon family and friends.

Does that count?

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 01:03AM

As a never-mo who grew up in Salt Lake City, I was frequently told by Mormon kids it was a shame that such a sweet, moral girl wasn't a Mormon. I'd tell them that Mormons didn't have a corner on morality - I'd just get a blank stare back. Once, a middle-aged TBM high-priest coworker made this type of comment and asked if I was interested in joining "the church", to which I responded "I've been so thoroughly inoculated against Mormonism that I wouldn't be able to believe it even if an angel appeared to me telling me it was true." He left me alone after that.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 02:02PM

Yeah, I noticed that too...

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 02:17PM

Yes in high school my two best friends told me I was so smart and asked how I could believe that a man in Utah talks to god. I had no response. If only I had been brave enough to start working my way out then.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 02:21PM

I don't think I was TOLD, but I specifically remember one time being ASKED, "Aren't you too smart to be a Mormon.?" Because I remember thinking, "probably." Then shelved it.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 03:01PM

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 05:16PM

After I gave a GD class I had an ubber TBM tell me I needed to do a more in depth study of the church. I told her that if I did that I wouldn't be a mormon anymore. :) she turned and walked away.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 05:37PM

When I left the church, I had a conversation with my 79 yr. old Irish Catholic Aunt. She's my father's youngest sister. It went like this...

Me: Aunt B___, I've left the Mormon Church. It's all crap.

Aunt B___: Oh my, that's wonderful! I always knew you'd figure it out. I just didn't know how long it would take you.

Me: How come you never said anything?

Aunt B___: Because it wasn't my place. You had to discover that for yourself. Now that you have, I'm so happy for you!

I love that woman.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 06:30PM

I was never told that, but I am embarrassed at how long I was a member. Why did it take me so long to see the light? I'm ordinarily a skeptical, questioning person. I consider myself thoughtful and educated, so it's doubly embarrassing that I believed for so long.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 08:40PM

No. But I think that a lot of people thought it.

While nobody ever said anything patronizing or insulting like this while I was a TBM, I did get a few, "what took you so long" responses when I left last year.

There are a lot of intelligent TBMs out there. But the forces of indoctrination and the ability to rationalize away any cognitive dissonance are powerful - especially if you are BIC.

An sharp mind capable of dispassionate analysis was my key tool to finally realizing that TSCC is a fraud. There are many TBMs that aren't all that sharp, don't have inquisitive minds, and are therefore unlikely to ever find their way out. They are quite content belonging to a church where they are told what to do and how to think. It makes life much simpler for them.

There are a lot of people that prefer a false certainty to uncertainty.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 08:48PM by Strength in the Loins.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: March 17, 2014 09:47PM

Yes. My former coworker told me that he was a "recovering Catholic". When he asked to what religion I belonged, I told him. His reponse: "Oh, come on, Nancy, you are too smart for that!"

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 18, 2014 02:11AM

I was told by a lot of non-LDS that I didn't seem like a Mormons or that I wasn't like the other Mormons they knew. I couldn't figure this out because I didn't drink or smoke or party or sleep around or wear revealing clothes or even have any piercings. I was totally in line with BYU standards. But they all assured me it was a definite compliment that I wasn't like other Mormons.

My Mormon friends told me I thought too much. Maybe that's what my non-LDS friends were saying - that I thought to much and was too smart to be LDS.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.