Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 08:07AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 08:10AM

If by fully active you mean perfect church attendance, then yes.

If you mean being considered a member in good standing, then no. You could't go to the temple. You couldn't be married there. They would likely turn you down if you ever needed Church food assistance. You couldn't go on a mission, etc.

Edit: Oh, unless you never worked and didn't earn a dime. Then 10% of nothing = nothing. Also, if you're on government assistance, you don't have to pay. Some do anyway, but you don't have to. I received a temple recommend while not paying, because I was between jobs at the time and was collecting unemployment insurance.

But if you're a person with a regular job, then no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2014 08:12AM by Greyfort.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 10:33AM

Placing conditions on welfare assistance based on attendence or worthiness (including paying tithing) is explicitly forbidden by Handbook 1, any Bishop doing so would be breaking the rules.

Naturally they are to encourage those receiving church welfare to attend and be worthy, but they can't make it a condition of assistance.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 10:04AM

The temple recommend questions have two of importance to your query.

1) are you honest in your dealings?

2) do you pay a full tithing?

If you earn any salary, and you're honest, then to have a recommend, you must pay.

Posted by: ladedah ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 10:18AM

I got away with it as a wife with an inactive husband and no income of my own to pay it on. We also got away with it when we were college students students living on grants and loans. Yes, temple recommends were given, and no one hounded us for $ (But our bishop was a really great guy). There were plenty of talks about it, and lots of our friends paid tithing on their student loan money. I didn't because I saw it as a decrease, not an increase. But that kind of outside of the box, independent thinking is what lead me here today. So...

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 10:20AM

what about having to publicly profess something is true when it is demonstrably false?

(7) Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 10:23AM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what about having to publicly profess something is
> true when it is demonstrably false?
>
> (7) Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with
> any group or individual whose teachings or
> practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted
> by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
> Saints?

The church demands that their free speech, free association rights be preserved against the fraud charges.

But they have no problem demanding their members supress free speech and association if they want to enter the temple.

Posted by: Capt. Crunch ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 10:26AM

I've never seen a instance when someone was denied a food order solely based on tithing usually it when someone has abused the system. I've known families that have been receiving food orders for years without making relevant changes that would make themselves self-sufficient.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 10:46AM

I was "fully active" when my daughter got married. I attended church regularly, I taught in YW, I was a visiting teacher, I was a den mother.

However, I was also a fairly new single mother with a house getting forclosed on me, a daughter needing at least a wedding dress and some kind of reception for her so-called wedding, and other things. I HAD paid tithing for many years of my life, but I wasn't paying then. I chose to feed and house my children. Needless to say, I stood outside of the Atlanta temple, IN THE RAIN, when she got married.

But tithing is not mandatory. No one puts a gun to your head and makes you pay it. Uh huh.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 10:53AM

What is everyone's opinion about the fact that one can receive assistance from the fast offering and welfare system of the church when there's not enough income to cover all the bills, so long as they pay tithing on what they do earn? Although not an ideal situation I have seen many get by on doing this, and are then able to maintain their temple recommends.

Posted by: jebus ( )
Date: March 20, 2014 10:59AM

On my mission in Southern California in the late 70's, I was out with a Stake Missionary and we were trying to commit a man to baptism who was close, but for quite some time had been hung up on tithing. Commitment to tithing was absolutely a requirement for baptism. The Stake Mish I was with pipes up with; "Don't get hung up about tithing, I have been a member for 5 years and haven't paid any tithing yet!" I about died of a heart attack.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.