Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sfex ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 02:32PM

a couple days ago. They now live in Texas.

First thing out of their mouth : "What is your calling?"

I politely informed them that we are no longer members, and the H's response: "Oh, you're too old to make that kind of mistake.

I said you might think that, but I believe we did the right thing, and since you think I made a mistake, I blasted off 3 or 4 good reasons for quitting, and asked if they wanted to hear more, to which they said, no thanks. I threw in the 2 billion dollar mall and the cutting of missionary allowances for good measure.

They were not aware of the mall, and did look a bit shocked.

However, the wife sounded off a bit about how stupid the rule is that an older woman cannot be alone with missionaries, inquiring what that was all about. Don't they trust us? Her husband just stood there sort of shocked that she would criticize that way.

Anyway, glad we're out. They can live under the stupid cult rules if they want. Obviously they didn't stay long.

so sayeth sfex

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Emanon ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 03:12PM

WOW! As if age has something to do with it. "Oh, you're too old to make that kind of mistake."

Assumption...zero (dollars).
Prejudice...zero (dollars).
Ignorance...zero (dollars).

Mormonism is priceless.

Date: September 18, 2010 03:20PM

Good one Emanon. LOL.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 05:51PM

I guess that is a quick and easy way of measuring you up:

RS President or Bishop = successful and popular

HT Supervisor or Primary secretary = low in the heirarchy

No calling = apostate material (Maybe your marriage is on the skids, or maybe your kids are in trouble.)

When I was a TBM, I got so sick of answering that question, that I used to answer: "Organist and Cubs, like always--and since you asked, let me tell you about my other volunteer work...." I would start yammering about whatever project our School Board was working on. Obviously, the Mormons were not at all interested in hearing my school stories, but I enjoyed letting them know that my focus was elsewhere, and my life was being lived in a bigger arena, with a broader scope.

I still enjoy doing this with Mormons who come to my door, and I ask them to contribute money to my projects and campaigns. This, plus resigning, has stopped the Mormons in their tracks.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 06:53PM

Why is it that when Mormons hear that someone is no longer a member it must be due to some major sexual infidelity reason? I think I would have been offended both by his conclusion that immorality is the only reason some one would leave the church and his assumption that you are "too old" to have any sex drive or ability to commit such sins.

Date: September 18, 2010 09:11PM

I hadn't thought of it from that perspective...LOL.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.