Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 02:34PM

Someone asked for a link... this is a close as I could get.

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4311

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Emanon ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 02:59PM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:07PM

So, what happens to the rest of the $400 the mishies pay per month to be on a mission? Does the church pocket the rest, minus the 125 monthly food allowance?

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:09PM

They used to have missionaries staying with members. They banned the practice in the late 1960s, early 1970s, I think.

Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:14PM

Testing

Posted by: LehiExMo ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 07:34PM

Wrong place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 07:34PM by LehiExMo.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 07:39PM

as missionaries often lived in member's homes that could house them easily.
We had an apt in our home and housed missionaries in the 70's many times.

Sometimes, four to six missionaries lived in a rental house also.

Those were the days in 60's to 80's (that I recall) when missionaries received their specific allotment from family once a month and paid for all of their own expenses.
The missions had different monthly amounts. Typically, in our area, tHe Zone leaders had a car, but most of the others did not. They rode bikes.

I am appalled at how the system is handled these days, only leaving abut $115 a month per missionary to live on for all of their personal needs: food, and other items.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 08:00PM

I don't understand - shouldn't that come from the mission office? Did I read that wrong?

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 12:24AM

After the damage I saw missionaries do to places when on my mission I would never bring them into my home. Most of the kids are fine I am sure, but it only takes one every other year to really screw you over with repair bills.

We had problems switching apartment complexes in Memphis as we were banned from a couple of them because of damage. This was before the IRS ruling gave the morg the excuse to consolidate the expenses and run it through the Lord's money laundering center.

In one area, the missionaries were out tracting and disovered a fire that had just started in a kitchen of the house they were disturbing. They called the fire department and it saved the dwelling. As payment they were asked if they needed anything. A place to stay was the reply, so the man and his wife opened up their guest house to the missionaries rent free, including utilities. He was the main guy at the local Budweiser beer distributor, and was a really kind gentleman. Well, after I passed through the area, and just as the mission was starting to manage the apartments from the office because of the damage the messengers of the Lord were causing, Mr C had them move out for a couple of months so he could fix the place up. He contacted the office in Little Rock and asked about getting some money to pay for the damages. No response. He gave up, fixed the place, and when he was ready to have them move back in, the mission office would not return his phone calls. Finally he gave up. It was such a cool estate to live on. Even the dog house was heated. Mr C, wherever you are, you are a fine Christian and a good man.

Stupid Morg.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.