Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 27, 2014 03:23PM

OMG, it was hilarious.

The episode is called "Damned In Africa" and the self-righteous priesthood holder is a newlywed. He has made a deal with his (Provo?) bride that he will not, under any circumstances, cuddle with his naked survival partner at night.

So the first night is frightfully cold; they don't sleep a wink, each shivering in separate corners of their cave.

To be fair, the survivalist woman is also quirky as she refuses to kill the lightbulb-size sacs of black widow eggs that dot the ceiling of their cave. Her objection is on ecological grounds. She does come to her senses a day or so later and they clean out the hazard by burning them out.

But the TBM is determined to demonstrate the power of god to answer prayer. He makes a big deal of going to a rock each morning to pray, knowing the camera is on him, and of course he prays out loud. They are starving and he prays for the Holy Spirit to guide him to food. He gets a snake and then the Holy Spirit went to pee, I guess, because he failed to inspire the faithful one to take it out of the fire when it was cooked.

Although his partner said the meat was done, he couldn't listen to a vagina talking, right, not when he has the Power of the Keys. So he cooks it to charcoal and it has lost all nutrition--tastes like chalk.

Long story short, he glorifies God when his prayers are answered and even skips the whole stone/kneeling prayer routine when catastrophes happen.

At one point he says to his partner that he will "let" her make the first cut in the snake that she killed with her own knife. She goes on camera astounded that he was ok with saying that to her, even when she asked him to repeat it, thinking the sound of his patronizing words would be obvious to him and he would apologize. He just smiled. Nothing wrong with honoring the little lady--after all, she deserves recognition for the accomplishment of killing something.

This is the Mormon mindset on display. We HONOR our women--look! I'm letting her take the first cut!

I had to wonder how he would react to breaking his vow to his bride if they were in Alaska and the choice would be cuddle or die.

Anagrammy

PS. Per usual, God answered prayer when he caught something, but there was silence when catastrophe struck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 03:24PM by anagrammy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: March 27, 2014 03:41PM

Obviously his prayers went unanswered as they starved for 21 days. Of course that must have been because he ditched his garments the entire three weeks.

I laughed when they caught the second snake and burned it up as well, again, but this time in the unattended campfire.

He must have felt his prayers were answered when they found that the snake eggs and baby snakes were still edible.

What a great example he has set for Mormons everywhere.

Date: March 27, 2014 03:45PM

Wonder how high he had to go up the priesthood pecking order to get permission to be buck naked on TV?

You just know the PR department made the decision that the publicity of Mormons as "regular guys" was more important. I wonder if they wanted to send the message that garments are optional, a matter of personal choice.

Because that's the next step for getting rid of the burqa underwear that repulses potential members.

Anagrammy

Date: March 27, 2014 10:50PM

that the Mormon church is a publicity whore of all the earth.

Ana

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: March 27, 2014 07:25PM

Anagrammy,
If you are interested, there is a recent article about the female participant in her hometown newspaper, the Arizona Daily Sun. Go to azdailysun.com and look on the right side of the homepage under "Most Popular".

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: March 27, 2014 07:55PM

Wait? He was AROUND a naked woman? I wonder if he was grilled by the Bishoprick about his thoughts around a naked woman?

The shedding the garmies thing had me wondering too. Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

RMM

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: March 27, 2014 10:58PM

Oh gawd, I saw this show. One of the few times I watch TV and this is on. At least inactive Mormon DW laughed and wondered if his bishop-prick gave him permission to run around naked with a lady not his wife. Yeah, I saw his hilarious prayers. God doesn't understand your prayers if you don't try to speak in King James English, you know. What a tool.

Posted by: moron 1 ( )
Date: March 27, 2014 11:00PM

This episode proved why the world thinks mormons are bat sh*t crazy. I read a review on the episode:

"That night, it's icy cold for our naked adventurers, but God forbid (literally) Jeff do anything to alleviate that problem. He wants to cuddle, but he's a married man! His wife won't let him cuddle! So he prays instead. Eva just wants to be warm, and thinks, again, that Jeff is an idiot. I think his wife might be the bigger idiot, because apparently she'd rather have her new husband freeze to death than accidentally touch the loins of a naked, dirty woman who finds her husband borderline repellant."
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/starr-raving/naked-and-afraid-recap-can-jeff-and-eva-survive-madagascar#FIq6SWFH9wqAOPMT.99

My thoughts as I watched this episode....wtf...how does an active, return missionary mormon take of his jeezuz jammies and flaunt his junk in front of a tattoo artist....the church is going to piss in his in basket when he gets back to the office....and then praying....out loud for the cameras. oy vey!

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 03:09AM

Those that pray out loud and on camera have their reward as the bible says. Thus saith the lord.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 06:08AM

What highly paid executives came up with the idea for this show ?

A vast wasteland.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 07:11AM

I'm glad to have missed it altogether. The reality shows like this are woefully misguided, and dangerous IMO. Who would sleep anywhere in the vicinity of black widow spiders or snakes, & other predatory creatures willingly and knowingly?

Or 'naked and afraid' as the show title suggests?

Why would the husband cuddle naked with a woman who was not his wife?

He may be an idiot but at least he gets credit where it's due.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 09:38AM

How to take the 'critical parts" blurr out????

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 11:41AM

Guess I will have to watch it on demand. But didn't I already see this in the temple film?

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 12:12PM

When producers cast a pious Mormon it's because they know the TBM will cause tension and do socially ignorant things. Or their self-proclaimed superior moral standards will turn out to be flexible. Or, at least, they'll provide comic relief.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 02:03PM

Killing something for a TV show--sorry, not in my wheelhouse.

And I say that even though I have to kill things sometimes in my line of work, but not for entertainment.

OTOH, how many woodies spring up on this show, even when in bad weather with a camera crew following you? Hmmmm.....

Posted by: enigma ( )
Date: April 16, 2018 02:12PM

I'm just waiting for this guy to "find some fig leaves and make himself and apron..."

Hahahahahaha!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.