Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: searching sister ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 12:49PM

Just wondering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corrodedinnervessel ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 12:51PM

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 01:07PM

agnostic atheist here:
absolutely certain that there is no god, as presently accepted by any of the major religions

I hold out a chance for the *tiniest, Tiniest* possibility that there may have been a prime intelligence that started our universe

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 01:50PM

I am about 98% certain he ascribes to NONE of the religions MAN has established here on Earth. Why should he,she,it Care?

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 01:13PM

Atheism isn't a huge leap from agnosticism or full-blown religion in general. Let me put it this way- Religious people are atheists toward all other gods but their own. As an atheist I just go one god further...

corrodedinnervessel is right- you can be atheist and agnostic at the same time. While I'm an atheist, I can't disprove that god exists--in the same way I can't disprove that Russell's Teapot exists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot#Russell.27s_original_text)

My personal belief is that it doesn't matter WTH you believe in or if a god even exists at all (this is contrary to what religions teach, otherwise they can't get your $$$). Just live life to the fullest and leave it better off than you found it. If people spent sunday's in pursuit of this instead of wasting their lives on the pews the world would be a much better place.

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 01:17PM

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 02:19PM

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 01:15PM

And so can you!

Timothy

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 01:28PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism

I do not know for 100% certain there is not god, so in that sense, I am an agnostic.

I believe there is no, so in that sense I am what they call a soft atheist.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 01:37PM

Exactly...It's not a black and white set of beliefs. I consider myself a both agnostic and a soft atheist. I'm not 100% sure about a lot of things in this universe, but I am highly skeptical.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 01:36PM

All of these so called "agnostics" are only agnostic about the christian god.
They absolutely know for sure that the other gods are make believe.

There is just as much evidence for the existance of other gods as there is for the christian god.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 06:35PM

Every critically thinking agnostic that I know is the exact opposite. The idea of the Christian God is incredibly weak. It is indefensable in the extreme, zero possibility, etc.

The idea of God as nature, or of a creator of some sort (not omniscient, not a man in the sky, etc) is much easier to accept.

I accept neither.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 01:47PM

Even Richard Dawkins admits to being a weak atheist.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 having strong testimony and 'knowing' that God exists, and being a 10, 'knowing' God doesn't exist, RD still says he's a 9, which means he's 98 percent sure there is no God, but will grant a 2 percent chance that possibly there is.

I myself am probably about a 5 or 4. I have no proof that there is or isn't a God, however, I would really like there to be one. Though the thought did occur to me that just because there is a God is not proof that there is an afterlife.

I mean there could be a God and we still end up just as nonexistent after death than if there wasn't a God.

The thing is NOBODY 'KNOWS' for sure. Everything has some 'faith' to it.

Posted by: searching sister ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 02:13PM

You are right. Nobody KNOWS for sure. We're all just winging it.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 02:22PM

I don't believe in the supernatural.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 02:32PM

Claiming one can't know one way or the other whether there's a God means they accept, to some degree, there's a supernatural world. It's a valid option for them. My my mind isn't wired that way (though I spent the first half of my life trying to function that way).

If anything, I move between being an atheist and an apatheist -- I just don't care whether there's a god.

Posted by: scandahoovian ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 02:23PM

Until proof gives me a reason to change my mind, I believe there is no god, therefore I am an atheist. Not soft, just open minded.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 02:23PM

I am an athiest because I know 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt God does not exsist. God apeared to me and informed me that she does not, could not, never has and never will exsist. If you can't trust God to testify of her non exsistence who can you trust?

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 03:08PM

Here's my take on this issue. Technically, I'm an agnostic as I do not know FOR SURE, nor can I prove definitively that there is no God or god or gods. (I'm quite convinced in my mind, however, that there is no god of any sort.)

Having said that, I live my life as if there is no God/god/gods. Therefore, for all practical purposes, I'm an atheist.

Coming to this simple understanding has been the best thing to ever happen to me. I'm happier, more fulfilled now than at any time in my life.

Posted by: Smiling Dog ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 04:24PM

This has always been a good way to answer the question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swkAGExZCII

Penn hits it out of the park...

Posted by: FatTuesday ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 06:31PM

Posted by: amos ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 06:45PM

If it were merely a matter of no evidence I'd happily believe...but there's a pile of evidence to the contrary.

When I was 8 or 10, mom and dad finally admitted that Santa Claus is make believe, and that they played along.

There's positive evidence that the perveyors of God are playing along, lying, and deluded.

There's positive evidence that the scriptures are hoaxes, ruses, fiction, and culturally evolved.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 06:51PM

Not believing in god makes you truly free to see how wondrous the world actually is.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 06:58PM

I am neither, I am a skeptic. That means that I recognize that which we know for sure. As such, I am willing to look at any thing you want to present as evidence for your position. I allow you your beliefs, but without any evidence, it is hard for me to accept or follow your beliefs. Fantastic claims come to me with the burden of fantastic evidence. Faith is not a gift I have been given.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 07:00PM

However, isn't a skeptical position nothing but an agnostic position?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 07:19PM

The structure of the word atheist is a=without theist=a belief in god. So, the atheist describes me: I lack a belief in god.

Gnosis and agnostic refer to having knowledge. I do not have any knowledge (and neither does anyone else really) on the topic. So, I am agnostic.

I don't know, but I lack belief. There can be people who don't know but hold a belief anyway. These are agnostic theists.

Gnostic atheists and gnostic theists are making the claim of having knowledge. They have a burden to prove their gnostic stance on the topic (I wish them both luck). I would not want to defend a statement that gods do not exist although the likelihood seems minimal looking at the evidence. I cannot prove a negative and I cannot prove 100% that things like flying teapots or gods don't exist.

I cannot prove a negative so I am also in the category of soft atheist using Dawkins' terminology.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2011 07:20PM by dagny.

Posted by: steveadams ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 07:31PM

I don't call myself an agnostic atheist, because I think it is more honest to express the strength of my disbelief by dropping the agnostic part.
I don't tell many people anything about my disbelief however. It is just not an issue of relevance in most of my relationships and interactions.
I do not even want there to be a god. The whole concept of an intervening god as most religionists believe or the universal higher power god do not appeal to me at all. Useless concept.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 07:54PM

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 08:08PM

I think Theism, Atheism and Agnosticism may be over thought on this board.

Some of you may remember my wife (Lucyfer), or may have read some of her old posts from this board.

My wife is from a line of multi-generational Atheists. When we first met, I was somewhat taken aback by it. Trying to get a handle on it I fell into the classic Mormon questions

Don't you wounder where you came from? Where you are going? and why you are here?

Her response was great. She said "No, I don't. There is a question much more important to me. What is for dinner?"

God and religion are not even on her radar screen. They don't matter. She has spent her life in Human Services, helping people with significant disabilities. To her, what you do day to day to help people is far more important than a Deity you may believe in. She is now faculty for a university, teaching adults across the country as part of a Government sponsored project on helping people with disabilities return to work.

She told me that she is open minded on the subject, and if someone can show her hard evidence of a Deity she has no problem accepting it. Basic scientific method, being willing to change the view based on new evidence. I feel Atheism that rejects Deity pedantically suffers from the same shortcoming as Theism.

Since we met and married, I have embraced the same view of traditional Deities.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 08:18PM

Now give me all your money!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 08:47PM

they tend to think you haven't made up your mind yet. And sometimes they even take that as an invitation to do some missionary work. I kind of got tired of explaining myself when I self-identified as agnostic.

Originally, I took the agnostic stance because I felt that I could not PROVE that God existed, OR that he did not. And I did hold out a little hope at first that maybe there WAS a God.

But over time, I became comfortable with the idea that there was no God. It just made the most sense to me. And I realized that even though I couldn't search every corner of the universe to PROVE there was not a God, I didn't have the slightest faith that one existed. And that qualified me to call myself an atheist.

I think many times people think you have to be a Richard Dawkins type of atheist, and INSIST that there is not God to be a true atheist. But that's just HIS style of atheism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.