Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soutskeptic ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 01:16PM

Arthur Vanick from Southern California will present an illustrated lecture on the connection between Solomon Spalding, a retired Congragationalist minister, and Joseph Smith's Book of Mormon. In a 2005 book written by Vanick and his co-authors, they provide new evidence supporting the claim that Spalding's unpublished novel about the American Indians was used by Smith and others as the basis for the Book of Mormon.
This should be one of our best presentations of the year! A special thanks to PostMormon.orgs Tapir Whisperer for lining up Art to speak to our fine group of apostates.

The lecture will he held at the new Lexington Hotel 850 So Bluff. St. George, Utah

The lecture will start at 2 PM, refreshments will be served, **music** by David Jorgensen (excellent musician) who performed at last years ExMormon conference. For information contact soutpostmormons@hotmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Emmas flaming sword ( )
Date: March 01, 2011 11:12AM

What is the name of his book? I wish I could go!

Posted by: Amos ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 07:12PM

I bought it and read it.
It's very good at presenting numerous corroborating primary sources of evidence.
It indulges in some unnecessary fill-in of gaps that seems to weaken an argument that really needs no help.

It was written before the Jockers study at Stanford further corroborated the Spalding-Rigdon theory.

I also read the Roper rebuttle. It's the same as any other apologetic rebuff, no argument, no evidence, only "what ifs". Vanick et al have written a counter-rebuttal to Roper. It's on their website if you google Spalding Research Associates.

The evidence is consistently more sophisticated than the long-belittled reputation of the theory.

Date: March 05, 2011 01:01PM

One last bump for a really fun weekend in Utah's Dixie. The beautiful weather we ordered is right on track.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: March 01, 2011 01:23PM

wish I could attend.

Date: March 02, 2011 11:37AM

For balance and knowledge on the issue one can find FARM's rebuttal to Art Vanick and his colleague's work below:

The Mythical "Manuscript Found"
Matthew Roper
FARMS Review: Volume - 17, Issue - 2, Pages: 7—140
A review of "Who Really Wrote the Book of Mormon? The Spalding Enigma" by Wayne L. Cowdrey, Howard A. Davis, and Arthur Vanick
Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, 2005The views expressed in this article are the views of the author and do not necessarily represent the position of the Maxwell Institute, Brigham Young University, or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/review/?vol=17&num=2&id=584

Then for an excellent read check out Art Vanick and his colleagues response to FARMS and Roper.
http://www.thedigitalvoice.com/enigma/pdf/roper rebuttal.pdf

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 12:11PM

book was published.

The final link there to his response doesn't work.

Date: March 02, 2011 06:51PM

Heresy,

Try Copying and pasting the link and it should work.

Posted by: avmanart ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 12:52PM

Hi,
That link is to our old site. Try going to www.solomonspalding.info and let me know if that one works for you.

Art Vanick

Posted by: Yannie ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 11:34PM

@ soutskeptic YOU HAVE THE BIGGEST MAN BOOBS I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! ARE YOU SURE YOUR NOT REALLY A WOMEN. HAHAHA

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 01:51PM

Posted by: CraigC ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 02:14PM

Ethan Smith fits comfortably within the modern Spalding-Rigdon Theory.

Posted by: bom research ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 09:14PM

Rev.Ethan got MUCH of his material from James Adair who lived among the indians for 30 years.Smith gave some attribution to Adair other places he did not!
His book is called The History of the American Indians;1775.
This book was advertised in the Pioneer publication in 1812 in Pittsburgh,PA while Spalding was living there!!! It or a reprint can be purchased today online.
You will find plentiful parallels as well as info;like gold plate/s,Egyptian language used,Urim Thummim,etc.,etc.

Using a BOM concordance and Adair's book will yield a gold mine for the serious student.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: October 27, 2017 02:15PM

Interesting (even though the original is a past event) - re-search. Joseph's Myth was such a devil... and many devils since have followed his footsteps.

Manuscript Found

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 28, 2017 09:33AM

Would loved to have been there for his lecture.

Keep up the good work, soutskeptic!

:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.