Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: persephene ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 10:19AM

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=5388392&id=625772797&ref=notif&notif_t=photo_comment

I am in a heated debate about atheism on facebook and if anyone would like to get into it (pro or con) I would love the imput.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: djb ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 10:58AM

That picture has way too many things to argue all at once, and I probably don't agree with all of them. That said, here's the errors in others arguments:

"After all, a round Earth and human flight were once just made up stories." - Any sailor could tell you that the earth was round at probably any point in human history. It was the Church that said it was flat.

"The point is that human knowledge was (and still is) limited." This is not an example of why we should believe something. There still has to be some evidence to at least point in that direction. Do you believe that I secretly have on human skin, and really am a minotaur underneath? You don't know everything, so why not? Afterall, your knowledge is only limited.

"[We] shouldn't dismiss (or disparage) what we can't explain". What exactly can't she explain? That would help.

Afterall, one of those magical thinkers was Darwin, who's ideas have helped us track and cure disease.

"A bunch of atoms or molecules came together and became "life". Don't think that's been duplicated in a lab." At what point does something become life? An arbitrary proof has been set up here. Could a computer program be considered conscience, if it does everything a human does?

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 08:57PM

I'm getting a little tired of heart attacks. I think I will pass on this one.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 25, 2010 08:58PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.