Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 05:55PM

I know this was discussed when it came out, but I can't imagine many dvd's circulating in Happy Valley.

I thought it was a great message movie that the cartoon age viewing public can take to heart.

But didn't it basically disavow everything marmenite? Consumerism, chugging sugar water into obesity, letting the system take care of every aspect of your life, stewardship of the planet.

Any first-hand reports of TMB's thinking it was a horrible movie?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 06:42PM

There was an entire blog posted about how Wall-e went against church teachings because it taught that the "Lord" wasn't in charge.

Of course, I have no link to it, but I remember thinking that the person was an obvious idiot.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 08:42PM

http://www.millennialstar.org/wall-e-the-religion-of-environmentalism/

Some of my favorite quotes:

"Vernelli works for an environmental charity, and was so horrified of having children that she got an abortion and at age 27 was sterilized in order to ensure that she could 'protect the planet.' She believes having children is selfish because the 'carbon footprint' and 'over-population' that they produce on the planet will eventually prove its destruction, and as such children are a 'sinister threat to the future.'...This is the kind of lifestyle and philosophy that the movie WALL-E is promoting; if we don’t “go green,” we will destroy our planet to a point where it will become inhospitable and we will become nothing more than a degenerated race of homo sapiens, if it doesn’t make us go extinct first."

"Having a stewardship of the earth does not mean that we give up our freedom, our life, liberty, property, and family (Alma 46:12–13). Such an overarching and overzealous concern for the Earth is worldly, most literally, and is the religion of environmentalism rather than the religion of God. It would not surprise me if the oil debacle is being artificially created by those in power positions who are worshiping the god of this world (2 Cor. 4:4; Eph. 6:12) and want to force us to drive less, use cleaner forms of fuel, and to minimize air pollution to 'save our planet.'"

Posted by: smeagol ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 06:50PM

All my TBM relatives hated the movie. I brought it up at a big dinner and the room went silent. oh well.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 07:32PM

I'll start buying it as a gift.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 12:35PM

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 07:35PM

I must have missed that. We saw it with our daughters and still quote from it. We loved it. And its message.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 01:15AM

There's nothing direct. It's an incredibly cute moving about a robot left behind on earth whose job it is to clean it up until life comes back to it. The inhabitants have all moved onto giant space ships where their lives are sweet and perfect with robots to do everything. The humans are all morbidly obese, though, and are incapable of doing normal stuff.

The message is only that the earth has gone to hell because humans got stupid. That's all. But it goes against the general American belief that a true believer in America would never believe that we could destroy the planet or run out of resources, because that's just crazy talk! For Mormons, the belief in a world that either a.) never runs out of resources, or b.) that will be saved by God Awmighty before anything disastrous happens, means that the movie goes against basic, modern LDS tenets. So Mormons will be loathe to expose their kids to something that does not validate the Message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 01:15AM by cludgie.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 11:10AM

everyone lays around in hover chaises in uniform red space jumpsuits, then a commercial says that blue is the new red and everyone changes the color of their jumpsuits to blue.

Spoiler alert!

Turns out that they were only supposed to be in space for five years for the robots to clean up the planet. But the leaders actually knew they couldn't clean up the planet and were going to space permanently. 700 years later, Earth finally regenerated. In other words, Heavenly Father actually lied to them and when the people figured out that they were on their own, they had to go start living for themselves.

End of spoiler

It was a happy ending.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.