Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Searching Truth ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 03:52PM

I'm out to DW, but she's still a TBM. Anyway, I watched part of the TV show "Glee" last night with her, and had to suppress a smile as the gay character Kurt perfectly surmised my feelings about God.

After one of his friends sang a Christian song to him, he said, "Sorry, but if I wanted to pay tribute to Jesus I would go to church. And the reason I don’t go to church is because most churches don’t think very much of gay people…or women…or science."

The rest of the scene plays out below.

Kurt: Thank you Mercedes, your voice is stunning but I don’t believe in God.

Tina: Wait, what?

Kurt: You’ve all professed your beliefs--I’m just stating mine. I think God is kinda like Santa Claus for adults. Otherwise God’s kind of a jerk, isn’t he? Well, he makes me gay and then has his followers going around telling me it’s something that I chose. As if someone would choose to be mocked every single day of their life. And right now I don’t want a heavenly father. I want my real one back.

Mercedes: But how do you know for sure? I mean you can’t prove that there’s no god.

Kurt: You can’t prove that there isn’t a magic teapot floating around on the dark side of the moon with a dwarf inside of it that reads romance novels and shoots lightning out of its boobs but it seems pretty unlikely doesn’t it?

Wonder what DW was thinking....By the way, she LOVES "Glee." She may not be so high on it now!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dawn ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 03:57PM

I did and loved it... it was perfect timing after the KKK Packer talk. I almost posted this last night.. but wanted to get the words what he said.. great job Searching Truth.. you hit it square on! =)

Posted by: benben ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 05:42PM

I really enjoyed it...the entire episode for that matter...and I am not a big Glee fan.

I really liked how many of the religious students were all up in arms and couldn't grasp that someone doesn't believe in god and felt the need to pounce/attack that person for his disbelief.

I really hated that the black chick (name?) in an attempt to help Kurt basically says, "Hey I know you don't believe in God. But I want to help you. So instead of doing something that you feel will help you, I am going to put YOU on the spot and invite you to MY church!"

At which point Kurt, as with most people's sense of being respectful, attends church with her. At which point she gets up in front of the congregation and says, "My friend Kurt needs help! And so I want you all to pray for him. And while he was brave and polite enough to come to church with me, I want to take this moment to belittle his beliefs and say to him 'I think its sad if you don't believe in God...I mean we all gotta believe in something.'" I think Kirk shoulda laid the smack-down on her (figuratively) for calling him out like that. Kinda messed up. She just didn't get it.

Then I also enjoyed how the red headed teacher and the Cheerios coach got into it. It amazes me how accurate these discussions and debates were. The red head really thought that it was wrong to talk about atheism but was soooo blind that she couldn't see that she herself was pushing her beliefs on a small minority of people who do not believe as she does?

I thought it was a great episode overall with a really deep message that I normally don't hear from the show.

And before I get accused of being a Gleek, I only watch the show because my wife does (only 1 TV in the house.) =)

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 06:47PM

After Kurt tells everyone about not believing in a God who would create him gay, then have all of his followers belittle and torment him, we asked our friend what she thought about the BKP talk.

She hadn't listened to the Sunday session, she had no idea there was any controversy over it. So we brought her up to speed and then asked her again what she, as an active mormon, thought of Packer's remarks. She dodged the question, said she really didn't know, and that anytime the gay issue is brought up she just gets a headache thinking about it so she doesn't think about it. As much as we like her, and she is a great friend of ours, it was just so apparent that she was avoiding any serious thought process about something that bothered her. Typical TBM behaviour, but sad, because she is otherwise a very intelligent and caring person

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 06:47PM

I don't think we have 'Glee' in Britain.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 07:06PM

It was sooooo RIGHT ON. I am a fan of the show anyway, but last night was really good. Also very fortunate time coincidence with the BKP thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.