Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 07:21PM

Thirty five years ago there was no internet and no support group for those leaving their experience with Mormons behind. I haven't really thought much about Mormons in those 35 years until headlines exposed the church's vicious anti-gay intervention in California elections.

Once again the church is in the news for BKKP's talk. Why is the church so fixated on sex and other people's sex lives that this is the one thing bringing the church into the public eye? Better to be known for feeding the hungry, and helping the sick and oppressed in the world.

For those of you leaving the church wondering if you will regret it years from now, you won't. You'll only wonder why you didn't leave it all behind sooner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 08:07PM

without the internet and the support and information you get there. I would be hopelessly trapped, even if I'd figured out it was all a hoax, if I couldn't come to boards like these for support, ideas, encouragement and information. Those of you who did it without that lifeline amaze and impress me. Thanks for your post.

Date: October 06, 2010 08:24PM

Thanks. It's pretty cathartic to vent some of my ideas and feelings since I never got to back then. I'm having a blast!

One day, about a year after graduating from BYWoo (single!) I spent the whole day hiking by the river, and it just hit me how elitist and exclusionary the whole thing is. Then I could see the whole thing a lot more clearly. I lost a lot of friends. But I heard from one of them the other day (first time in 30 years and my best friend at the Y) who also left. The internet is bringing us all together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 08:26PM by longgone.

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 08:19PM

Extra kudos for those who left before the internet. I sometimes think that it is a miracle that anyone could figure it out before the internet. Now I think that it is a miracle that anyone could stay in with the internet.

Date: October 06, 2010 08:39PM

I love it when missionaries come to my house--I exact a little revenge since I know more about their church than they do. And it's not pretty.

Posted by: cam ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 11:18PM

I began "fading" (to steal a JW phrase) 25 yrs. ago. Plus I live in New England so I have had no one to talk to. Maybe that's why I've started reading these boards and visiting some web sites. I've made a very happy life for myself outside of the church. But, I often feel like I am from another country and at at times I long for a community of "my" people. New stuff comes up and I just have to figure it out for myself. Going to therapy moves at glacial speed because it takes forever to explain mormonism, ex-mormonism, and how this weaves into my crazy extended family. Recently new stuff has come up for me, so here I am.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.