Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 04:58PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 06:35PM

Kudos to Oprah for keeping a straight face while listening to the bizarre responses to her questions. My personal fave: the sister wife who talked about looking after the kids while her husband went out on a "date." Um, yeah.

Personally, I think that all the sister wives should have a "girls only" vacation in Vegas and let their husband look after the kids.

Posted by: Nalicea ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 06:45PM

LOL! I agree Summer. And why are so many women scrambling for this guy? He seems to be extremely vacant to me.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 08:05PM

VACANT!!!!!!!! THat's it EXACTLY. I had been looking for a way to describe him to someone who hadn't seen Sister Wives. Vacant. That fits him to a T.

Posted by: npangel ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 06:56PM

All I can say is these women are warped. What normal woman is going to watch another woman's kids while he is off screwing another woman and call her "Sister"> They danced around the finances didn't they...

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 10:59PM

Agree....these women are sick. I will not watch a show that exploits children. I don't care if the women "choose" this life for themselves. But I will never say it is okay for the kids. And if the women are forced into this type of life I only hope their brainwashed minds become clear soon and they leave- with their kids!!!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 07:02PM

D*mn, I missed it. I'm going to have to see if I can catch it in the middle of the night. I've gotten a "kick" out of the show on TLC. I agree--the guy doesn't seem like a real prize. He seems to be stuck in his high school attitude. AND how can those women just sit by and watch this with his new woman--Robin. It is SO OBVIOUS he is so caught up in his new love.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 07:03PM by cl2.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 07:22PM

The second wife seems to be the only one who is happy. She's the one who works long hours outside the home. The wives seem to be saying the only way they can stand to be married to Kody is because they enjoy the other women and the children. They all way danced around the finances.

Posted by: ichoseloveoverduty ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 09:06AM

If the practice of polygamy is not endorsed, and looked upon as wrong "now" (said with appropriate sarcastic inflection) why does D&C 132 support the practice to this day?

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 08:10PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Wives

As a fundamentalist Mormon family, belonging to the Apostolic United Brethren Church, the Browns' faith does not align with the mainstream Mormon church, or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Since the practice of polygamy has been officially banned within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since 1890, the Browns have no affiliation with the church. The title of the series, "Sister Wives", refers to a concept prevalent in Mormon fundamentalism that the wives in a plural marriage not only marry the husband, but are eternally united to each other.
For years prior to the series, the family kept their polygamist lifestyle what they called a "quasi-secret". Both Kody Brown and his wives have claimed part of the reason they are participating in Sister Wives is to make the public more aware of polygamist families and to combat societal prejudices often associated with polygamy.

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 08:55PM

I was really wishing Oprah would address their religion more. I mean, like how mainstream mormons in their community behave towards them, where they go to church, what its similarities are to the mormon church and in what other ways, besides polygamy, it differs etc. She really didn't touch on any of these issues.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 12:19PM

massive funds spent on the latest PR move by TSCC go down the train with a huge whistling sound. Hahahahaha. Oprah has millions of viewers, and the impact of that show was so frickin' awesome.

Also loved Kody's qoute relative to his perception of if the tables were turned and his wife was sleeping with another man, he said, "it would be vulgar." I almost died laughing. What a dumb ass. He should have said, "yes, I see what you mean.." something like that...too funny. He came across like a true mormon man.

Posted by: justleft ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 10:40PM

Oprah doesn't grasp the nuances of the religion or the Utah culture. I tune into 'Sister Wives' because it's like watching the car wreck of our over arching Mormon culture.

Today on Oprah, I kept watching the tell-tale fake smiles of a "happy home", while the more subtle body language told a different story. Meri kind of seems like she's starting to crack a bit. Talk about cognitive dissonance. All the lies those women tell themselves to be stay in it are the same lies we tell ourselves that Mormonism makes us happy. Until one day, many of us finally face ourselves and uncover the real truth.

Oddly enough, Janelle appears to be the most well adjusted. It seems like, for her, it's an easy way to have a massive support system without having the inconvenience of being all that invested in a man. She can put in her mandatory time with him and get on with her life and career.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 11:00PM

I just said, "it's not my church anymore, remember?".

I think it's funny that this is coming to light right after the 'I'm a mormon' campaign.

"My name is Meri, I have three sister wives and my husband is screwing all of them...and I'm a mormon" (this is seriously what the public remembers.)

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 11:33PM

I kind of wonder if the reason they didn't talk religion at all on Oprah was just a way of saying to Utah authorities, "look, we wont play up the religion angle of this show. However, if we are arrested...well, that is another story. You may want to leave us alone." If they have to go to trial then you can bet they will talk mormon religion and, with all the publicity the show has received, I doubt the mormon church really wants that.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 12:05AM

It made me angry that the wife (can't remember which one) did not correct Oprah when she said, "Till death do you part." By not doing so, she totally copped out. I agree with other posters that Oprah should have delved more into the religious aspects of polygamy. She should have asked the big question of "Why their religion requires polygamy" not just that it does. I've yet to hear someone ask polygamists how inheritance is handled when only the first wife and her children are legitimate in the eyes of the law. Other children would have a right to inheritance, but what about other wives?

Moira

Posted by: SmudgeHumphries ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 09:16AM

I actually really love the show...and the family. They seem happy. The women express their opinions freely to Kody. While they do have problems...it's a marriage just like any other...except there are more people involved. It has its ups and downs, and the women here seem much better loved/cared for than in a lot of regular marriages. I don't really care if they're Mormon or not...they just seem like cool people. Also, on one episode, they were DRINKING, so they're very liberal cool Mormons too :)

Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 02:56PM

A couple of things stuck in my mind.

1. The way the husband "played" his third wife, so he could get a fourth. Remember the conversation in which he said to her that he was "really, really sad" and "didn't know why" and felt like "his heart was breaking"? Milked it good, until wife 3 said, "I know. You must need another wife!" Holy *** was that transparent!!

2. Same wife #3 who talks about how "wonderful" sister wives are and how she wanted sisters more than a husband (at the beginning), then breaks down crying about "feeling like she lost her best friend" when #4 came along. Of course she lost. She was the favored wive, until #4 came along. Notice how she doesn't sit next to her "husband" anymore. Wife #1 always sits next to him with his newest wife on the other side. If wife 3 feels replaced, it's because she was!

Wife #2 doesn't seem to give a ****. I think she's in it for the free child care. (6 kids I believe.)

I don't believe a word these women say. They're talking out of both sides of their mouths, and even if they've convinced themselves, I'm not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.