Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 10:15PM

I'm staying with my mother while she gets a knee replacement here in the midwest and the weekly newsletter from the Relief Society has been slipped under her door on the weeks someone remembers. What a horrible waste of paper ! The rag is the exact same list of people to contact for Family Preparedness info., recipes, and reserving rooms in the building for wedding receptions every single week. Nothing changes. The only thing that changes is a spotlight of some Molly Mormon wife and how she met her husband at BYU. When I drive by the chapel there is never anything going on there, mornings, noons or nights. Sunday Sacrament is the only time/day that building is used !!

I met with some old friends who are Methodist. They just added an addition to their building. They use that building constantly for food kitchen meals for the needy, baby sitting for working mothers and single mothers going back for education, Bible studies, etc, etc. They have service missions around the world and teach all kinds of useful classes to anyone who is interested. There is no requirement to be a member.

How anyone can live in this city and not see how useless Mormonism is to the community is beyond me. And most people don't even know that all the tithing money gets sent to Salt Lake City never to be seen again or used locally.

It sickens me that my old friends from that ward are still so blind and cannot see the contradiction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 10:49AM

... and what they actually use those buildings for, the following Book of Mormon passage comes to mind:

"They rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries ...."

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/2_ne/28/13#13

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:31AM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:50AM

You are right about Mainstream churches using their buildings almost daily. MY church - Methodist- also has AA meetings besides the things you mentioned. So local mission work is a major focus in my church. Do Mormons care about the things you mentioned? Seems like they just like to give orders- pay up and deal with it.

Hey, question? My convert daughter just went to the temple for the first time in Feb. She converted 3 yrs. ago. I saw on her refrig that she is a visiting teacher.....she has been assigned 3 "sisters" from what I saw. So do they visit monthly or weekly? Anyone know? And isn't part of their job to report to the Bishop- great, now she is a spy!!!

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 11:56AM

My non-denom church building is used every summer by a Mormon woman who organizes a two-week day camp for disabled children. We charge her a nominal fee to cover cleaning costs.

Why doesn't she just use the ward building? The bishop won't approve it because it isn't directly related to a church sponsored activity.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 12:04PM

Now that is just plain crazy. Obviously the Mormons do not approve of her mission work. Or is it that they fear the disabled children would somehow wreck the place? How sad. I applaud the Mormon woman who at least sought out another church to hold this camp.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.