Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tom ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 02:03PM

Are divorced members of the Church limited in their priesthood leadership roles? If so, how? What are official restrictions and any in practice even if unofficial?

Can they become high priests, assistants, bishops, etc.?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Angeleer8 ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 03:14PM

I was told that it is a requirement to be married at the time they receive the leadership position (bishop thru apostle). This is how I know that the Mormon Church's top leadership does not love homosexuals as themselves when they attempt to illegalize same-sex marriage.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 03:21PM

A person can move up the priesthood ranks sans wife, but anything of a leadership position will require a wife.

So, a divorced person probably won't get those callings. A person divorcing will be released. Going further, if the guy's wife dies, he will also be released and unavailable.

Generally, the church wants their people to look like "The Proclamation," aka following that business model. So, their leaders must be exemplary.

Posted by: Cyn ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 04:02PM

I think, JPT, that the apostles are exempt from this, as are widowed temple workers (not in the presidency). President Hinckley and Apostle Scott were widowed and did not remarry. I liked that. I thought it showed great respect for their deceased wives.

Now I know that one of the apostles' second wives strategically planned to marry him and gave him a resume...Apostles really cannot "date" if you know what I mean. But I don't like that apostle anyway!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 05:51PM

You're correct, thank you.... I was only thinking of the local ward/stake levels where I'd been hanging around. The guys in their ivory towers play by their own rules.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 04:05PM

Back in the early 1970s, I had a single seminary teacher (male). He was in his 30s. He eventually was made to quit since he wasn't married.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 05:28PM

Hinckley was married when he became president, and would have become president even if his wife had died. It would be called the will of dog. On the other hand, a man will probably not be called as a bishop if divorced.

Oaks remarried, as do typically the others.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 06:05PM

Apparently its something to do with the fact that the priesthood leaders need to have some support behind them. They need a good woman behind them apprently.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 11:50AM

That is because leadership callings require a temple recommend and the temple covenants are predominately for married couples/ a family.They are to be an example of the eternal family. That's how I always understood it as a believer.

That is the same model in most Christian churches also.

Posted by: Cyn ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 05:36PM

When you speak of a "good woman" being in the background, I also wonder if it's to keep the apostle from temptation....

President Hinckley's children, both daughters and sons, traveled with him until he stopped traveling, and I believe it is the same with any apostle or seventy. They always have to have a family member with them.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 06:41PM

he was temple married to his now deceased wife.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 06:53PM

Ah! That's why the morg teaches that God the Father and his son Jesus are married with wives. Do they still teach that God, the Holy Ghost will get a body and marry
and when that might be?

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 07:08PM

Joseph Smith once said that,

"The Holy Ghost is yet a spiritual body and is waiting to take to himself a body, as the Savior did."[Joseph Smith, Encyclopedia of Joseph Smith's Teachings, edited by Larry E. Dahl and Donald Q. Cannon (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1997)]

and;

"The Holy Ghost is now in a state of probation which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has." (Joseph Smith, The Words of Joseph Smith, p. 245; Sabbath address, Nauvoo, 27 August 1843. Reported by Franklin D. Richards.)

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 07:40PM

Oh geez! So the Holy Ghost is God, yet still on probation and the church agrees with the Bible (for a change), that, anyone who blasphemes the Holy Ghost won't be forgiven in this life nor the life to come.
Thanksfor the info anonnow. I hope I can send for the books. I c&p'd your reply.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.