Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 04:20PM

It's with polygamy. I blame the main church for the current number of polygamous relationships out there. Regardless of how the church has tried to distance itself from polygamy, it's still part of the legacy JS left when he fabricated a way to justify his affairs and having sex with little girls.

I ALWAYS ALWAYS questioned this when I was a TBM. I am just dumbfounded on how any thinking person could learn about the church's history of polygamy (polyandry) and statutory rape and NOT be absolutely disgusted.

So I know the church has come up with ways to virtually ignore this part of their history and shelter members from it, then at the same time come up with ways to justify it in a convoluted way, but how can people still buy into it? I just don't get it at all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 04:39PM

A lot of members don't even seem to realize that they are supposed to practice polygamy in the glory of the afterlife.
Mormon women that hear about it seem to push it 'way to the back of the closet.

But that's not a practical approach at all. Shouldn't the chuch be helping them with developing skills they will be needing when they pass on to the Celestial Kingdom and become their husband's Chief Wife?

There could be classes in those skills most needed for those who will become the main wife in an army of secondary wives and concubines.

She is going to need to know how to order enough clothes for all her Sister wives, how to manage a kitchen staff that will have to be cooking 24/7.

She will have to have skills in conflict and jeolousy management. Settle disputes both on material needs and personal arguments.

And I'm sure she will have to direct the Maternity Wards that must stretch over several large areas of her husband's planet.

And all that when she is also occupied in giving celestial birth to the better class of spirit babies.

Surely this short list of necessary classes should be run out of each ward and temple on Earth. It will give the Relief Society some very important functions after all.

Date: October 29, 2010 04:49PM

10+ kids and discourages birth control (although not officially)?

They're definitely lacking on the jealousy training though. After all, it's just a mortal emotion fed to us by the devil himself that we must learn to overcome...if you're a woman. If a man gets jealous it's obviously Satan working through her to make him jealous.

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 06:37PM

Assuming that Mormonism honors the 10 Commandments -

the God of the OT is proud of being jealous - and feels justified in slaughtering anyone who offens him in that area

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 06:23PM

It always bothered me that one of the "plusses" mormons would point out is that they're such super-nice folks that they're supposed to follow the law of the land, yet it's obvious that they consider God's law supreme. So then, whyyyyy would they abandon polygamy/polygyny if it's against the law of the land (if you want statehood)--oh, that's right, because God told them to end it for a while. Musta been one of the most amazing coincidences in history!
Waitaminute--GOD changed his mind because the UNITED STATES said "knock it off."? Gimme a break.

That always stuck out like a frackin' sore thumb to me.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 06:30PM

TBM friend just says, "They were sorting things out...he (Joseph Smith) meant well but he was very flawed and the D&C readily admits that." He adds, "The Catholics admit that their popes were flawed but they still believe what he says when he speaks for Christ." (gag)

Date: October 29, 2010 06:40PM

ever said the first (or second) Manifesto was from god, although the membership spins it that way since it came from the prophet.

The prophet prior to the manifesto did say god revealed to him tscc was to practice polygamy regardless of the law of the land though, and yet they stopped... hrm.

An interesting factoid about the first Manifesto, it only applied to Mormons living in the US. Many people moved to Canada and Mexico to practice it. Only after the Smoot congressional hearings began, and the continuing practice of polygamy was exposed, did the church issue the second manifesto banning polygamy worldwide.

Uh oh, caught with their pants down again.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.