Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mom of 8 kids ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:22PM

We sat down and told our other 6 kids last night, (ages 9-18),that my husband and i no longer have a testimony of TSCC. They had several different questions, ranging from, "Does this mean we can have sleep overs now?", "What about changing the dating age?", all the way to, "What about the Book of Mormon?" We had our 3 older kids, age, 14, 16, & 18, watch the video, "Jesus Christ/Joseph Smith". All in all, my husband think that our initial talk went pretty well. We tried to explain/warn them that they will probably lose some friends because of this. My husband is on his way to tell his TBM sister right now. He has also talked/emailed his brother about it a little bit.

I'll let you know how it continues to go.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:39PM

We're here for ya. ;)

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:40PM

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:42PM

You definitely can count me as being in your corner.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 04:35PM

WOW! No kidding!! Mom of 8 I want to be you!! You have handled everything so well. So proud of you and happy for your whole family.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 03:13PM

Wow! Congratulations on getting THAT over with!! :) Glad to hear from you.

Posted by: Ikki ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 03:50PM

Congratulations, Mom of 8 kids! It is great that both you and your husband don't have a testimony of the church anymore. How did that happened? Maybe you wrote it here already and I missed it. I am happy for you, it takes really a lot of courage to do what you did.
I have a very TBM DH, not a US or Utah kind of TBM, more European, let's say. In some things he is more understanding. In others he is extremely stubborn and drives me crazy, and his English is not good enough to pass him things to read. When I try to tell him some of the truths about the church that he doesn't know, inevitably I get so angry (not at him, rather at the church and at myself, that I was so stupid to get involved into it) and we can never talk about civilly. And, well trained RM, his mormon rhetoric is better than my ability to refute.
But, this is your thread and this is your success story, so congratulations again for you, and all the best to you and your family in your new future without TSCC.

Posted by: Mom of 8 kids ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 10:04PM

I haven't posted my story, probably because it's still kinda new. There were 2 TBM families in our ward that left the church over the last 6-8 months. DH was talking to his cousin, a couple of months ago. DH cousin had gone out to lunch with one of the men who had left, and around the same time the family also came up in welfare meeting that my DH was in.

So, that is what kind of sparked some questions, and in Oct. DH started reading, researching, etc. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't want to have anything to do with it. We would have good discussions, but I didn't want to hear/learn anything. I even got upset/resentful that he wasn't reading the b of m as much as the bible.

Over the years polygamy has come up a couple of times in our marriage, and we just dealt with it, kinda brushed it under the rug, and moved on. That is part of what sparked the reading/ research this time around as well. Then it just led to more and more questions.

gotta go!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 04:25PM

what a dream to be able to sit in front of your children and TOGETHER with your spouse discuss "OPENLY" your dissafection and the reasons for it.

Wow. There is hope after all. Let us know how the external reactions go.

Wow.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 04:37PM

I

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 04:37PM by Queen of Denial.

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 04:47PM

I add my congratulations and best wishes to you and your lovely family.

What a major step you have just taken.

Hello new life. Enjoy

Posted by: adam ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 04:47PM

Sounds like TSCC is loosing not just two, but ten sheep. This is just like some huge baptism service where a whole large family joins the church, just now the other way around. Trust your feelings. No more mental slavery. Way to go!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 04:53PM

When I think of all the big Mormon families I know, so many parents would go along to get along with the church. I think it's wonderful you are taking a stand on what is best for your children. They will have happier, freer lives because you took this step. I'm sure you'll continue to go forward - don't be discouraged if you take a step back. That happens sometimes and you'll succeed in the end. Keep posting - that's what everyone is here for to listen and support others who are going through this same thing.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 04:59PM

from Switzerland.

His wife(though still a church goer etc) told me that her parents were both converts as youths and raised all three kids in church, though in the last few years started to find out things they didn't know about the church and after some time concluded that the church was not what it claimed.

They got their three teen-adult children together and announced they didn't believe anymore and why and were resigning. Two kids followed them out but the third remained( IMO likely because she wanted to marry her returned missionary).

They are both great young kids but I expect they won't last too many years in church themselves. She most likely knew the problems her parents discovered and the returned missionary himself admitted he struggled with things like Book of Mormon horses 'which is a bit of a puzzle' he said!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 05:20PM

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 09:29PM

I so wish that it was me being able to do that.

Better yet, I wish my parents had done it.

Lucky kids you have there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.