Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soutskeptic ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 12:15PM

Radio West presents Balance in its programming today as we hear from the Churches Public Affairs. (Contention is of the devil?)
Could be a good opportunity for some hard ball questions…

Latter-day Saints and Excommunication, Part II
By Doug Fabrizio

Tuesday, we're continuing our conversation on discipline and excommunication in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Doug's guest for the hour is Ally Isom, Senior Manager of Public Affairs with the LDS Church. Two high-profile, progressive Mormon activists have been called before their local leaders and are being threatened with excommunication. It's raised a lot of questions about what makes a faithful Mormon, the disciplinary process and what all this reveals about the modern LDS Church.

Listen Live http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/latter-day-saints-and-excommunication-part-ii

Program repeats at 7 PM, available on podcast

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 12:24PM

Sending a female to address the issue that women in the Mormon Church should shut up about wanting to be ordained?

What's more is that LDS, Inc. is hiding behind their PR department. If apostasy is the issue who else to address it but an ecclesiastical leader?

What a message to send!

Posted by: soutskeptic ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 12:43PM

I attended a lecture given by D. Michael Quinn where he told about women holding the Priesthood and giving blessings. So why did the Church take the priesthood from women? See: http://signaturebookslibrary.org/?p=1171

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:01PM

It's well documented that women participated in blessings, but I don't believe any were ever ordained and held leadership callings. Blessing was just looked at as a gift of the spirit as discussed in the NT. The "priesthood" claimed sole responsibility of that task somewhere along the way.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:17PM

This Church spokeswoman is giving a great example of outright lying! Doublespeak galore! "Excommunication is NOT exclusion. We fully expect that the excommunicated person will be in the pew on Sunday. I've heard so many experiences about how excommunicated members describe how the process of excommunication is so beautiful and loving!" "Discipline shares its Latin root with disciple. It's becoming a correct disciple of Christ."

It is no wonder TBM facebook posts, internet comments, missionary blogs, are risible. With this degree of brainwashed, non-thinking, immorality, no one thinks clearly. Excommunication is not meant to exclude. You simply've got a misunderstanding. It's beautiful! Why is it so much to be avoided then?

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:19PM

...so, Ally Isom leaves the Gov's office in Dec. 2013 to "spend more time with my family", then immediately takes another high-profile job with the Church as a PR spokesperson in Jan 2014......alrighty then. Sounds like another career move to me...........

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57135721-90/isom-deputy-director-family.html.csp

Posted by: spicyspirit ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:20PM

This is SO EMBARASSING.

"Yes, God DID say 1978 was the right time for black preisthood."

Date: June 17, 2014 01:25PM

Drinking game:

How many times does she say "That's not for me to say."

Date: June 17, 2014 01:45PM

Date: June 17, 2014 01:25PM

Doug Fabrizio's doing a great job of pressing!

When he asks a logical question, about blacks in the priesthood, and why is the issue of women different, she's reduced to saying you can't look at God's decisions through a mortal lens. In other words, it doesn't have to make any sense. So why is there even a conference with speakers trying to explain things? Why don't they simply got to the point: it doesn't make sense, it's not going to make sense, so shut up. I guess they already did: doubt your doubts.

She goes on to say the question is whether you "trust God." The 800 lb gorilla of course is that God isn't talking. He's talking and acting through intermediaries. She never says, "trust the intermediaries," (even when they're acting as men, or when their outright deniable a-holes like BY), because she's simply smoke-screening the issue. It's the guys in charge that are dubious--and they're the ones playing God.

Date: June 17, 2014 01:30PM

TOTALLY.

Date: June 17, 2014 01:49PM

Wrong place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2014 01:49PM by spicyspirit.

Date: June 17, 2014 01:49PM

THANK GOD Doug is finally being a hard ass!!

I can't believe she is diverting all blame to local bishops. Her response to his question about Kate Kelly's parents losing their temple recommends, after saying it's between them and their bishop was "Isn't it beautiful that's how this works?"

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:35PM

she is making herself look like a fool on this program. They picked a clear idiot for this. And does it surprise anyone that she refused to take phone calls? Dumb bitch alert! Dumb bitch alert!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:35PM

For those on this board who were excommunicated, who felt it was "an experience that was so beautiful and loving?" I had to deal with the leaders over my boyfriend being gay--never having "sinned" myself and the treatment was not beautiful and loving. By some, yes, but not all (especially the higher up you went in the leadership).

They seem to think in terms of if we say it enough times, everyone will believe it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2014 01:36PM by cl2.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:40PM

ya, that part made my blood boil too

Date: June 17, 2014 01:37PM

...yeah. Once again, the PR dept has not properly prepped their spokesperson or thought this out, and is creating more questions than answers.............Gee, who woulda' thought.

Date: June 17, 2014 01:39PM

...Jay Carney. We have found your soulmate!!............

Posted by: hayduke ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:52PM

I hate the words, "the savior".

Posted by: hayduke ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:59PM

What a bitchy last thing to say. Kate Kelly is heartbroken and that's Isom's response. Cruel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2014 02:00PM by hayduke.

Date: June 17, 2014 01:55PM

...Ally's Grand Finale; Well-up, bear testimony, admit defeat.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 01:55PM

I do not understand why a female PR person is speaking for the church and its all-male leaders, who supposedly have a hotline to God.

I'm glad he let her last line "It's her choice" hang in the air for a bit.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )

The LD$ rep said at the end "it's her choice."

Not.

The true message is that she DOES NOT have a choice in this matter.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 02:05PM

The church has only one position. If you're a member, you'd better have only one position too. That position is: Bend over and grab your ankles.

Date: June 17, 2014 02:19PM

She's smart. And she did a great job as a spokesperson. She explained that the PR department meets with leaders regularly, they're informed about what she's saying and doing. She's speaking for them. I can accept that. She can't speak coherently for what's incoherent, though.

First, Doug presented her with a direct contradiction--how are blacks and women different regarding the doctrinal change for priesthood--and she's got to say don't judge God by a mortal lens; the conversation later turns, and her soft-spoken, religious-speak prompts her to explain, patronizingly, that "this church was founded on asking the hard questions and getting answers." Does she think we've got no memory? She just said the answers can't be judged by a "mortal lens." So why ask hard questions, when you're not going to be able to understand the answers because they don't make sense? The implication of the word "answer," is that an answer satisfies the question. If I ask, "what color is the sky?" and you respond, "Wednesday." Have I got an answer to my question? Not in a sane world. But if you're allowed to say, "Don't judge the answer by a mortal lens," you've always got a get-out-jail-free card. Heads I win; tails? Well, I win again!

I also liked how she turned from Inspirational woman-speak, to normal on a dime. In the middle of a sentence, she said "I get it Doug, I know what you're driving at." And she was her smart self. Then she lapsed into Church-splaining.

Here's a blog suggestion or book suggestion for you ambitious types: make a list of these professional women: this one, Sherri Dew. Research their lives: how many kids, who raised them? How many marriages? Then compare/contrast with Declaration on the Family. Examine the BS these women are pushing onto sincere women, that they, themselves, don't live. Are their degrees in elementary education or music? Doubt it. I know a rather prominent TBM professional woman. She joked to me once, "My kids used to call the nanny, Mommy!" For someone actively pushing Proclamation on Women, and supporting the excommunication of women, it's appalling that they're allowed to get away with defying the teaching, yet wearing the mantle of virtue. They should be called to repentance.

Date: June 17, 2014 06:23PM

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 06:14PM

I am a generally fairly civil in my discourse--I do not know how many times I said "you F-ing b*tch" during this interview. She oozes evil. This was so Orwellian, I had chills going through my body.Sick and twisted is the only way to describe her responses--so you want a drinking game?? How many times did she say "right" there is only one "right" way to do things--

“Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.”

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
―-and excommunication is a choice!

It will take me a long time to "recover" from that one hour interview!

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 06:20PM

And one more thing...that story about it is fine and expected that women will stand and discuss these controversial issues in their Relief Society meetings--that is the proper time and place to do this. Bullshit--total bullshit--she lies through her teeth--in a sing songy Relief Society voice!

Date: June 17, 2014 06:26PM

How many times did she say something about "remaining in the body of Christ"--or something like it.

Her voice is killing me.

Date: June 17, 2014 06:29PM

Even better than excommunication is a choice is this gem: Excommunication is not exclusionary! What?!

She was so big on pointing out that discipline shares its Latin root with the word disciple; okay, check out the Latin "com" meaning, together, and put an "ex," meaning, not, in front of it. Whaddaya get? not-together. Yeah, you're ex-ed. But, nooooo. It doesn't mean you're excluded! Doug point out all the things ex'ed excludes you from, and she insisted those were details. She said the church fully expects you to appear in the pews every week, happily enjoying the beautiful and loving experience! It's crazy.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: June 17, 2014 06:33PM

The Cult insisted that Radiowest not take phone calls during the interview.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.