Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 01:08PM

and though I in no way think their motives are pure, still it was a very nice gesture. I heard on the local SLC news this story last night:

In the town of St. Charles, 25 miles west of St. Louis, Mo., they have opened the doors of one of their LDS chapels for muslims to come and worship on Fridays.

The muslims had been asking other churches for help with a place for Friday worship, and the mo's heard about it and stepped up to the plate. The stake pres. was on TV and said he immediately said yes, had no hesitation, but I rather doubt that. Surely he would have to get approval from the GA's, and in trying so hard to be liked and accepted and mainstream, plus win votes for Romney in 2012, I was not surprised they said yes.

These muslims were very grateful.They pull out their blankets and worship on their knees in the gym. If for some reason the gym is being used they use the primary room, but before they worship there they cover all pictures on the walls of Christ. The mo's are fine with that. It ended this way in these exact words: " And so they continue to come week after week praising God and thanking him for this place of worship."

Then the muslim spokesperson then said;" It was a blessing for us that we have bigger place. God bless mormon church, they open the door for us and we are very pleased, very happy, and God will give them reward."

I have no doubt the mo's are hoping this story hits the national news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 01:11PM by think4u.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: flanders ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 01:17PM

PR stunt, pure and simple. The Church does NOTHING without first considering its own self interest. As already demonstrated, the "Corporation" has reaped a lot of positive pub and attention over this "kindness".

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 01:21PM

sympathy for a similar organization. Mormonism can be like Islam-lite sometimes, in their outlook on life, views of sex, views on women. Not nearly as extreme, obviously, but similar in attitudes.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 01:25PM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 01:31PM

It is good that they do that for people.
Our ward has done this in the past for a group of Afghan people in our area for some of their celebrations. They're pretty considerate of the building, they don't leave it a mess.

Once they finally get a mosque approved they will have somewhere to call their own.

Posted by: kryptonite200 ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 01:35PM

Unfortunately, these heart warming stories are almost always PR stunts. Feel good stories rarely make the news unless someone goes to the media with the story.

Anyways I don't want to be a hater, PR stunt or otherwise, they did do a good thing.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 01:44PM

It's not just about PR. It's also about money.

TG

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 02:01PM

There has been something going on lately with Mormons and Muslims. It is weird, but the church has been kissing up to them more and more. Maybe Denial Peterson has something to do with it.

Muslims and Mormons definitely have a lot in common though- no alcohol, suppress women, follow a prophet, scripture in addition to bible, etc.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 02:01PM

I would think that the Muslims could come up with the money to rent a space. I don't see the needs of the Muslims as being all that serious compared to the needs of the homeless, the unemployed, people fleeing abusive environments...

If the LDS wants to do something nice, how about doing it for those in true need?

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 02:22PM

As others have noted, this is only about PR. If it were not about PR they would have done it quietly.

Have you noticed when the Mormons show up after a disaster, they have all the damn helping hands vests? As I recall, Jesus mentioned something about wearing vests or t shirts that call attention to your acts of kindness. Yes, I know he said something about that.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 02:24PM

Make friends, not enemies!
I doubt there is any charge to them for using the building either.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 02:39PM

I smell a self-serving rat--ah, yes, it is the Corporation of the President acting in its own interest, as usual.

I'm no longer calling it a church after reading the excellent post which linked up to an article on Pure Mormonism (http://puremormonism.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-corporatism-has-undermined-and.html)

In a desperate attempt to maintain the necessary status of persecution victim, the inspired PR people have chosen to hold hands with a religion which is actually persecuted in America. Since they imagine the public to be doorknob-headed Beevis & Butthead fans, they think people will be more sympathetic to them if they are seen arm-in-arm with downtrodden Muslims.

Yet another mistake like "I'm normal and I'm a Mormon" which translates to "I want you to think I'm normal and I know you don't".

Their obvious milking and exploitation of members in the shadow of their multi-billion dollar mall, plus the stealing of missionaries' living money from their families, plus a thousand other self-serving and self-promoting acts must be countered in some public way that doesn't cost too much.

I can't wait for the Great Mall of Satan to be finished because it will be a perfect venue for protests, doncha think? I am already painting my banner $$we can't help you $$ and $$janitors for jesus$$.

Anagrammy

PS. This pig is going down like a Macy's parade balloon in my lifetime--I am lovin' it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.