Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Luke ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 12:56PM

Anybody heard about changes in tithing settlement?

A friend who is a Church employee said that tithing settlement will no longer will be done on a yearly basis, but quarterly.

Anyone heard of it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 12:57PM

Not true unless SLC sent something by email since last Sunday.

Date: March 11, 2011 01:37PM

I hope it is NOT true, but since yesterday I have been wondering. (I talked to this Church friend yesterday).

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 01:46PM

Heck, it takes almost a month for the Finance Clerk to prepare and the Bishop to schedule Tithing settlement once a year.

If they did this quarterly the leaders would revolt. Not to mention the impact it would have on the average member as they begin to ponder their place in the church.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 07:29PM

We cant have that. They are revolting enough as it is!

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 07:45PM

Reminds me of that BC comic

Knight: My Lord, the peasants are revolting!

King: I know, I've seen them.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 02:30PM

I doubt it's true but I so hope it is - since it would really help TBMs with some doubts to see where the church's heart really is.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 03:43PM

The additional load on the finance clerk and the bishop would be tremendous. They might have to make new callings, for three people- The Ward Financial Presidency, who reports back to the Bishop every quarter. That would cause some head scratching.

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 03:43PM

I could see the benefit to having it spread throughout the year instead of all at once, say I have mine in February, you have yours in June, etc., and you report on your status since the last meeting. That would keep from having the bishop tied up in tithing settlement each November/December. But to have each member do it quarterly, that would require a new calling or office to be created, maybe a third bishopric counselor over tithing.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 04:51PM

But I doubt it is true. It would just piss the members off even more.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 05:01PM

Maybe you, me, and much of RfM; but *members*? Look how much they meekly accept from the cult leaders already!

If leaders thought quarterly tithing would ensure a greater and steadier flow of income, they wouldn't hesitate to implement it.

Date: March 11, 2011 05:03PM

But at some point, this dumping on the members should reach critical mass. I can only hope at this point.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 05:35PM

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 05:04PM

I have a hard time believing that jesus HQ is that dumb as to make the fleecing of the members that obvious, but at the same time I wouldn't be that shocked either.

Elder Costa spoke at a stake conference recently and informed the EQ presidents that they had to have PPIs with every Elder every 3 months, so why not a tithing interview every 3 months?

If it is church wide I expect a lot of "blessings of obedience/tithing" talks during Gen. Conf..

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 05:41PM

Trying to get cash from members quarterly, rather than annually, giving TSCC a good revenue stream rather than an annual sum.

Date: March 11, 2011 05:44PM

LD$ Inc. would have a hard time justifying that with their scriptures, since DC 119 states

"those who have been tithed...shall pay one-tenth of all their interest ANNUALLY;(emphasis added) and this shall be a standing law unto them forever..."

A person could pay once a year and still be a full tithepayer. Many do it that way.

But then again, this scripture is from a dead prophet, and dead prophets are of no use, as a poster here said recently.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 05:45PM

So now they're going to tell The Faithful not only how much to pay, but when to pay it? What about someone (hypothetically) who gets a big Smithmas bonus and uses it to pay the year's tithing in one fell swoop? Is he/she "unworthy" for the first 11 months of the year? Are temple recommends only going to be valid for three months?

Isn't there a number in "Cabaret" singing about "money, money, money, money"? Maybe TSCC could put the lyrics to a funeral dirge and introduce it as a new hymn.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 07:22PM

That clinking clanking sound!!!!!
Moneymoneymoney!!!!

Moneymoneymoney!!!!!

Now I got that running through my mind!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: March 12, 2011 01:46AM

But when hunger comes a rap,
Rat-a-tat, rat-a-tat at the window...
See how love flies out the door...

I don't mind having that one in my head... kinda catchy. Plus, a pretty challenging movie for its time.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 05:55PM

Maybe they are planning on dividing the ward into fourths and doing a quarter of the ward every quarter. That would spread out the load.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 07:15PM

Yeah, or scheduling different wards/stakes for different quarters so they can employ less folks at the COB.

But I hope it is every member 4 times a year... that would be an easy target when talking to TBMs.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 07:22PM

Or just rolling out the quarterly plan in a few areas to test it.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 10:39PM

Date: March 11, 2011 07:45PM

Money
Get Back
I'm alright Bishop Jack, keep your hands off of my stack.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 07:55PM

Date: March 11, 2011 08:13PM

Yes, maybe it's some administrative measure - like having different members report their status throughout the year, instead of having everybody do it in December. Or something like that.

The friend who told me this maybe got confused and thought that every member would have to report quarterly. That would be too crazy.

At any rate, SOME sort of change might be on the way. She may have gotten confused, but she IS a Church Employee with access to important information and she would not simply make this all up.

Posted by: JohnsonBrothers ( )
Date: March 12, 2011 01:00AM

Once in my ward in Australia it turned out that a bishopric member had formulated an elaborate plot by which he stole tithing that was donated by members whose records were not in the ward. I was one of those members and at tithing settlement I told the Bishop that there must have been a problem because it showed up as if I had paid no tithing. After suspending my temple recommend the bishop told me that there was a minor accounting problem but that it would get sorted. A fortnight later he told me that it hadn't been sorted but that I could get my temple recommend only if I backpaid at least 3 months' worth! Otherwise I'd have to pay for 3 months before I could be given my recommend back. I yelled at him and that landed me in disciplinary counsel.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: March 12, 2011 02:29AM

Just wait till they reinstitute the law of constipation. They will make the Bank of the CoJCLDS and "request that all members have thier checks direct deposited to "the bank". Then the church would dutifully pay members 10% of thier earnings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 02:31AM by luckychucky.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 12, 2011 11:18AM

have the necessary paperwork for tax purposes.
Temple recommends are good for two years now.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 12, 2011 01:00PM

Date: March 12, 2011 01:23PM

It wouldn't surprise me if they had the financial clerks print out a quarterly statement for the members to review...can't miss paying that tithing even for a month you know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.