Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 10:24AM

Okay, I exaggerated some. Maybe...

We've got this water main break in town, and that's the main (sorry) reason I've been able to post like a crack-addicted hamster -- work has been closed since yesterday morning, blah de blah de blah.

I found out this morning (after I drank a bunch of water), that we're supposed to be boiling our water. All I know is there's some "boil-water advisory" in effect, but the advisory is short on advice and long on making me want to run around like my hair is on fire. Basically I'm supposed to boil water for a minute. Um, all water I use? Are my cats going to be okay?

I. Am. Not. Bear. Grylls.

Do I have to boil water in order to wash dishes?

I used boiled water to brush my teeth, and I don't ripen too quickly, but, yeah. I'm betting that if I can't drink it, it shouldn't be on my skin either.

Right now I'm boiling water and running it through the Brita in case our water is shut off again.

So, based on that total lack of information, what do I do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 19, 2011 10:40AM

I do them by hand, so, I'll probably just dump boiled water in the sink. Ugh. I've always had sympathy for folks without easy access to potable water, but I had no idea how easy I have it. At least I'm not walking miles to lug that stuff home and dealing with all sorts of other issues just to get water. Gah!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 10:42AM

The bleach will evaporate from the dishes as they dry. Leave them in the rinse for a full minute and all will be well.

Date: April 19, 2011 10:45AM

Date: April 19, 2011 10:46AM

Food service training and the occasional e-coli scare in our area has edjumicated me. :)

Date: April 19, 2011 10:49AM

And I'm not a germphobe at all. I just don't want to spend the next however many days sick as a dog.

Date: April 19, 2011 10:57AM

http://www.mass.gov/dep/water/drinking/boilfaq.htm

A really good Frequently Asked Questions site about cleaning your water during a boil-water advisory.

For example, it recommended using boiled water for your pets "just in case".

"Can I give my pets tap water?

Although pets are not normally affected by the same diseases as humans, caution suggests giving pets boiled or bottled water."

:D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 11:00AM by Rebeckah.

Date: April 19, 2011 11:02AM

They demand ice, though.

ETA: And I don't just mean b/c I'm boiling the water. They friggin' demand ice all the time. And water from the Brita. And they're friggin' feral. Next they'll want wine, but none of that cheap shit. I love them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 11:05AM by Beth.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 11:10AM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They demand ice, though.
>
> ETA: And I don't just mean b/c I'm boiling the
> water. They friggin' demand ice all the time. And
> water from the Brita. And they're friggin' feral.
> Next they'll want wine, but none of that cheap
> shit. I love them!

It IS nice that the cats allow you to live with them. Nothing like being pusywipped and proud of it. You serve at the pleasure of the feline.

Date: April 19, 2011 11:13AM

Attention whores -- we livz heer.

Date: April 19, 2011 05:15PM

So fucking stoked! And the water is off in my place again. I'm just going to go jump in the fucking river.

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 11:15AM

Didn't that happen yesterday am?????????

Date: April 19, 2011 11:27AM

Or so they say. I really don't know. Luckily a coworker called me before I left this morning.

This place is falling down w/r/t infrastructure, so I'm not surprised. I've got a rant a mile long about how horribly this city is neglected and focused solely on those who commute in and then leave. I'll save the rant for FB.

I bet some of our mains might be constructed from wood or Washington's false teeth. I'll let you know if any termites come out of the tap. ;-)

Date: April 19, 2011 11:28AM

Date: April 19, 2011 11:30AM

Date: April 19, 2011 11:38AM

but we still have the skin head. Dude who tried to burn down the building (it was a cooking accident of the dumbest sort) moved to a lower floor, so yeah: that's no good. Never a dull moment, but we can watch odd things float down the river!

Date: April 19, 2011 11:40AM

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 11:28AM

Yeah, dogs has owners; cats has staff.

Actually us doggies has staff, too, we just sooooo smart we don't lets em know it.

:::::::::::raising paw to ^5 kitties:::::::::::::::::::::

Date: April 19, 2011 11:29AM

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 09:08PM

Oh, Iz okay.

Rotten weather we havin though. Gots tornado warnings now.
Mom says our house is too junky to blow away, it's like weighted
down with crap.

Glad to see you!

Date: April 19, 2011 09:10PM

Be safe, doxie.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 06:00PM

Beth--you are a hoot, you have me belly laughing--you are a great writer, too, so colorful--I can just see it!

Anagrammy

Date: April 19, 2011 06:06PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 06:12PM

Beth: IF you jump in the fing River...

a) which river will that be
b) Skinny-dipping (I hope)?

Date: April 19, 2011 06:25PM

Or I can stuff my pockets with rocks.

The worst part is, the river is like a mile wide and a foot deep. I could probably light it on fire, though.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 08:40PM

Beth you need to turn off your ice maker until the water is safe again. When you do use it throw away the ice for a day or two until your water lines are clean again.

I live out in the country a little too close to a small river that sometimes overflows in the spring. I test my well every year and in the last 25 I've had to treat my well 3 times. With a very chlorine high treatment.

I've been able too smell chlorine from my ice cubs for up to 3 days sometimes. You probably know all this but most people don't think about their ice makers that much unless they don't work.

And who knows your water might be just fine but your local folk are just making sure everybody is safe. Better safe than sorry and all that shit.

Date: April 19, 2011 08:44PM

I just checked -- got brown water now. I guess that's better than nothing.

I also find out that the pipes are so old that no one can find an accurate map. SMH

Good to see you, Sweet One.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 08:55PM

I was just thinking about you the other day. How you been? Other than having bad water?

Date: April 19, 2011 09:06PM

Brother of Jerry swung through last week, so that was pretty awesome.

Nothing else new or exciting to report. Got too many unfinished projects, and I'm missing my kid. He comes home from school in a few weeks, and I'll be ready to send him back in about a month.

What's new in your life?

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 19, 2011 09:08PM

Our infrastructure is failing.

I really think we should be out in the street, protesting.

Date: April 19, 2011 09:11PM

Will you bail me out?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.