Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 01:33PM

The link below may be too long for one line. If so, copy and paste into your browser.

http://catholicdefense.blogspot.com/2011/04/why-trust-apostles-over-muhammad-or.html

From the series of responses:

"B. Mormonism
Let me give you a few examples from Mormonism. First, in Pearl of Great Price, there's an entire book just about Joseph Smith and his family. There's nothing similar in the New Testament -- the Apostles talk about Christ and the Church, and bring in their life experiences only to prove their points. Second, one of the books Joseph Smith "found" contains a prophesy in which Joseph (son of Jacob) talks about the great seer who's going to come in the future named Joseph (2 Nephi 3:6-25). It's obviously a reference to Joseph Smith himself -- he's written himself into the story, even though we see nothing about Joseph Smith in any of the Old or New Testament. When there's a dispute between some of the early Mormons, Joseph Smith receives another revelation that he's right and they're wrong, and that he's the boss of the guys he's feuding with (see D&C 30:7) So Mormonism is much more aggrandizing of Joseph Smith than the New Testament is of the Apostles. Just read the Gospels and see with what esteem their discipleship of Christ is treated. On nearly every page, you see the Twelve making some embarrassing mistake or other. That, on its own, is evidence that Joseph Smith had much more motive to lie (and to stick with that lie, even under pressure). Beyond this, Joseph Smith also became President of the Church and Mayor of Nauvoo. He was the final secular and religious authority.

But there's more. Doctrines and Covenants continually praises Joseph Smith, and D&C 132 permitted Joseph Smith to take extra "wives," and threatened Emma Smith (his actual wife) with damnation if she tried to stop him. That is, "God" threatened her by name. So, by presenting himself as Prophet, Joseph Smith now can have as many women as he wants, and is considered the second (only to Jesus) greatest man in history. There are all kinds of motives to keep up the charade there. The same can be said of the other men who were involved in promulgating Mormonism. I'm not in any position to say who were duped and who were devious, but giving that all men were allowed to cheat on their wives, again, the motive is there. They wouldn't exactly be the first men in history to create an elaborate cover story to hide the fact that they want to run around town with other women."

While the above is part of a much longer post trying to prove Christianity over other faiths (I think the occurrence of the Resurrection should not be in any way assumed, and we now have evidence that the two gospels supposedly written by the Apostles Matthew and John were actually not written by those men but by later followers), I believe the poster's points about Mormonism are right on target and worth considering in the cold light of day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 02:27PM

I'm not sure where the quote is from, and I'm too busy to look it up now, but JS said himself that "only I have formed and kept a church together this long. No One, not even Jesus could do that."

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.