Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: WinksWinks nli ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 08:57PM

In an email with my mother she mentioned running Activities night for 8-11 yr girls? Supposed to be like scouting, she says, something she wishes she'd had and maybe I'd have liked it too.

So what is it really? I've been gone since '96 or so...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: KC ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 09:03PM

http://lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/primary/11.5.2?lang=eng#115

Activity Days
Where practical, the Primary may hold activity days for boys and girls ages 8 through 11. Leaders and teachers use the Faith in God guidebooks as resources for activity days, supporting the work children and parents do at home to fulfill Faith in God requirements.

Activity days are held no more than twice each month. They may be held at the meetinghouse or in a home. As leaders determine the frequency and location of activity days, they consider the time constraints of the children’s families, travel distance and costs, children’s safety, and other local circumstances. Leaders ensure that activity days follow the guidelines in 11.8.1 and in chapter 13.

The children’s Primary teachers conduct activity days unless the bishopric calls separate activity days leaders.

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 09:03PM

It's official name is: Activity Day Girls; it is just the girls that age getting together doing fun stuff, sort of an alternative to Girl Scouts. I think they do it because the boys start cub scouts at that age. My daughter liked Activity Day girls, they had lots of fun activities, she hates YWs though, more lesson based and less fun.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 09:04PM

I was the 1st counselor in the Primary at the time, & sometimes had to be there. It was ***extremely*** lame.

I really hated all the BS saying it was an alternative to Girl Scouts, & that GS was too political & stuff. Like Boy Scouts wasn't. **rolls eyes** (I have my own problems with the GS, but not because of feminism (as I am a feminist) or politics.)

Posted by: WinksWinks nli ( )
Date: May 26, 2011 09:13PM

Well, if my mother has a hand in it, it might be slightly interesting. She did agree with me that it was unfair I couldn't go to scouting because I have a vagina.

She put me in girl scouts where we glued sequins on eggs or tree ornaments and made mop dolls and paper indian headbands. When the leader ran off with all the dues, I wasn't sad that it was over.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.