Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: May 28, 2011 08:34AM

Got a 19 year old son back from first year of college. He's been looking for work in Utah County. He doesn't have too many skills, just restaurant/basic labor stuff.

Usually the BYU/UVU students leave for the summer, and there are jobs available. This year, the students are sticking around and keeping their jobs. After a couple of weeks of looking, we're scratching our heads.

Have any of you suggestions for where to look?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: May 28, 2011 10:24AM

I had a GREAT entry level job at a hospital while I was in college-- my whole job was to receive the specimen in the lab, log it into the computer, and walk it across the room to the lab tech for testing. My base wage was $12/hour (I worked graveyards, so I ended up making $17/hour) which is WAY more than I would have made doing anything else. Hospitals have lots of entry level jobs that you would never think of, and they often pay better than the average wage (at least up here in Montana they do)

How about doing some security work? Night watchman somewhere? These jobs are often more boring than dangerous, depending on where you get hired.

How about getting his flagging certification and working for a construction company this summer? Up here they make $22/hour. The course was 4 hours and cost $50. Pretty good return on investment =)

There's lots of jobs out there if you are creative and know where to look!

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: May 28, 2011 11:32PM

Check princess cruise line..kids fly in from everywhere to alaska and work...restaurants etc...not sure how much they'd make..but good experience and a chance to see alaska...met lots of mormon kids.

stormy

Posted by: 123test ( )
Date: May 29, 2011 03:06AM

I always found that restaurant work (waiter or busser) was the best bang for my buck in college, but if you can find a tech support job or as mentioned above a lab job they pay pretty good if you can't find a good waiter job.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.