Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 09:33PM

I did some SERIOUS cleaning through closets and drawers and found an old Bonneville cassette tape with two talks from the Oct. '85 GC. Afternoon session, Boyd KKK on one side. Hinckley on the other. I wasn't around for this one, I was still Catholic back in the mid-80's. Queen of Denial's post about Mormon Doctrine (which I also have) made me wonder if this old cassette with these talks has any value. I don't have a cassette player, so I can't listen to them. It would be interesting if there was anything in there doctrine-wise that might be one of those "not very useful truths". If not, I can do what I was planning to do to begin with and just toss it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nealster ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 09:37PM

Don't chuck it out! There could be something about Mark Hoffman on it that tscc has forgotten/swept under the carpet. It would be interesting to listen to; comparing recent historical teachings with those of the present. I bet any money that there is a notable change of tone/register/voice and all the rest.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 10:51PM

Hmm, good point Nealster. Now if only I could find myself a cassette player, dang it!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 11:09PM

Go for it. Or toss it. I'd do the latter.

http://lds.org/ensign/1985/11?lang=eng

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 11:12PM

Just because it is Online, doesn't mean it will be the same talk, word for word. Let us not forget that the church likes to censor, er...uh...I mean edit, things.

Posted by: mollymormonfaker ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 11:00AM

I was reading an exit story on the board and the poster made a reference to a specific Ensign article in 1985. I went to LDS.org to look it up, and it wasn't there. I found that particular issue on eBay and bought it. Sure enough, the original article was in there!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 12:40PM

Implied, (but not clearly), was the opportunity to compare, or at least find out the themes of the talks to aid in deciding keep/toss.

Posted by: Lapsed ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 01:00PM

I read one paragraph of Packer's talk and threw up.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 11:29PM

I bet the sound quality is really bad, what with those Bonneville hacks engineering it.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 12:43AM

Maybe he's teaching God was once a Man.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 04:32AM

Here's what Boyd had to say about the one true and living church
http://lds.org/ensign/1985/11/the-only-true-church?lang=eng
--

One doctrine presents a particular challenge. It is our firm conviction that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is, as the revelations state, “the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth.” (D&C 1:30.)

This doctrine often generates resistance and repels the casual investigator.

and
Some have recommended that we confine ourselves strictly to evidences of the gospel: happy family life, and temperate living, and so on.

Could we not use the words better or best? The word only really isn’t the most appealing way to begin a discussion of the gospel.

If we thought only in terms of diplomacy or popularity, surely we should change our course.

But we must hold tightly to it even though some turn away.

It is little wonder that our missionaries are sometimes thought to be overbearing, even when they are most courteous.

and
Brethren and sisters, never be ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Never apologize for the sacred doctrines of the gospel.

You can buy a tape player at a thrift store for $5. Listen to them, then donate the tape player back.

Or you can just chuck them.

RG

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 09:52AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 09:52AM by wine country girl.

Posted by: mollymormonfaker ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 11:13AM

I always forget that mine has one. Just a thought...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.