Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 03:50PM

George Ritchie coauthored a book called Return From Tomorrow, which is very powerful. It is very convincing as evidence for Jesus and an afterlife. It is one of the things that convinced me to serve a mission. I'm not quite as convinced by it as I once was, but I am still trying to look for reasons why it is not as convincing as it appears to be. Someone wrote a good critique of it on Amazon.com, but I'm looking for further information.

By the way, I say George Ritchie speak in Utah. Shortly after losing my Mormon faith I was very interested in NDEs for awhile.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 03:51PM by behindcurtain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 04:04PM

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message267501/pg1

Geezus.

Sounds a bit like the false prophesy of Joseph Smith about Jesus supposedly returning during Smith's lifetime.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 04:05PM by steve benson.

Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 04:06PM

I read it before my mission too. It gave me a different perspective and I've never had a TBM view of the afterlife since. I always had a nuanced TBM idea of the afterlife.

I'm not a hard-line skeptic of the afterlife, although I do wonder how often and how much of these experiences are the imaginations of a dying brain. I also wonder how much these experiences change with each new telling of the experience...like Joseph and the first vision. I'm sure there was an original dream-like vision years ago, but how closely does it resemble the official version?

It was a good book. I haven't read it for 15 or more years, since before my mission.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 04, 2011 04:10PM

Where are the peer reviewed papers aimed at convincing those that scientifically study such claims?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.