Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 05:58AM

Just wondering since Y and its fans act so holier than thou just like their goofy religion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 12:59PM

Doubtful. Bronco Mendenhall may be deluded like the rest, but he has real character and is far more likely to sway recruits using the spirit than anything else. He's also one damn good defensive coordinator.

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 01:12PM

That any team in the top 25 is free of those kinds of benefits. To be that team would be to put yourself on unequal ground.

I like Mendenhall, but the program is just as much about money as any other serious NCAA program.

The inspiration stuff might work perfectly with the RMs, but BYU has come to depend more and more on Pacific Islanders of late. Some of them might be morgbots, but many would just as happily be recruited by Cal, Oregon, Nebraska, or any of the other big programs who have started seeking them out.

Until very recently, BYU was depending on a few nonmormon nonUtah wide recievers, too. There is no way those guys were persuaded by "Lord's University" talk. The only way to compete with the big programs is to cheat just as much as they do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2011 01:19PM by rogertheshrubber.

Posted by: exmo99 ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 02:25PM

+1

Posted by: gottabe ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 01:29PM

I am quite confident that if Bronco found out that there was any cheating going on, he would report it himself. I have friends on the team and he makes it pretty clear that breaking the rules will not be tolerated.

I have a friend that plays for the university of utah, and he said that Bronco asked him if he could honestly live the honor code when he was being recruited. My friend said he didn't think he could, to which Bronco told him that it wouldn't work out at BYU if that is the case. This is why I struggle as a BYU fan, the LDS culture actually hurts recruiting. Especially since it seems like our good players are always getting disciplined or kicked out for doing practically nothing.

The guy is a nutcase, but he is a good football coach.

I would be very surprised if BYU football was ever caught in a cheating scandal.

Posted by: ollie ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 01:33PM

If you believe that Arnold, Tiger, and Lance didn't use drugs then you probably believe that BYU doesn't cheat.

Date: June 08, 2011 01:49PM

I believe that Arnold and Lance used drugs. Arnold admitted it. The jury is still out on Tiger. I wouldn't be surprised if he did though.

And I still believe that BYU doesn't cheat in football. So what does that make me? If players can't even play pranks on each other without getting suspended, I highly doubt any cheating would be knowingly allowed.

Date: June 08, 2011 02:28PM

An optimist. A lot of the money flowing into the program is from wealthy members. It is much more likely that things are off the books in that kind of situation. As much as we like to bash the morg for being small and irrelevant, they do have a network of rich alumni that consider it righteous to help BYU. I think it is more likely than not that some step over the line. Especially to get the nonmormon talent.

Date: June 08, 2011 05:17PM

You've misunderstood what I am trying to say. I am saying that the program doesn't knowingly allow cheating to occur. Whether it happens or not is compeletely different. You can't really regulate an overzealous fan that starts handing money and perks to players. That very well could be going on at BYU, but I don't think that Bronco is facillitating that type of behavior.

Maybe I am an optimist...

Posted by: cynic ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 06:03PM

I'm as cynical as they come, but I don't believe BYU systematicaly cheats. Sure isoloate players. But even that is much much less than other programs.

Football to BYU is exposure for missionary work, any slip up and Football has a negative impact on their missionary work. It is a fine line, but they are much more concerned about scandal than other schools.

Date: June 08, 2011 06:13PM

I have noticed fewer of the recievers are nonmormons since Bronco took over (causing a real vaccuum in the offense). Maybe he ended some creative recruiting practices.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 11:35PM

WHAT???????????
The entire mormon church is a cheating, lying, fraud.
You think their Universtiy is not?

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 09:02PM

gottabe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> You can't really regulate
> an overzealous fan that starts handing money and
> perks to players.

That is EXACTLY what the team is supposed to monitor to ensure it doesn't happen. They have people employed/assigned to keep an eye on the student athletes. Ignorance is not acceptable, and the school is to report any infractions immediately. See OSU and the current tattoo scandal.

Other people are making millions off of corporate sponsorships, yet some student athletes still go hungry. But that's a different story.

Posted by: ackbarman ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 03:26PM

I am a big BYU fan and recently had an argument with my two brother in-laws about this topic. I have heard allegations that in the 80's BYU had some players on the FB team that lived in non-BYU housing because they could not live the honor code, but BYU looked past it because they had won a nation championship. They said there is no way that could happen at BYU, and I said it was possible. Just because it's BYU doesn't mean it's impossible for a violation to occur. I also don't think we should take rummors as truth, but I am open to the possibility that BYU could have, or may in the future violate NCAA rules. I hate it when any team violates rules but in this day and age when school is getter tougher, teams are getting better, and when you can't work a job since you are playing football and going to school full time you need some type of compensation to survive.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 02:10PM

I am gonna ask Col. M. about that. His younger bro. played there for Lavell years ago. Of course things have probably changed a lot, but I will ask if there were any signs of corruption then. I think he has mentioned this before. Will ask.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2011 02:11PM by think4u.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 04:26PM

They're two years older than many they compete against... That one is particularly true with the basketball program...

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: June 08, 2011 06:11PM

A two-year mission is devastating to a basketball players athletic progress. Pretty much so for skill positions in football and baseball too. Lineman in football are at an advantage, but the rest of sports it either hurts or has minimal effect.

Date: June 08, 2011 06:12PM

It kind of depends on the Pres.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 04:42PM

The two years older argument never seemed to be an issue when BYU was losing....and they were losers for many years prior to Edwards.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 04:44PM

Of course they cheat. All teams cheat to some extent, most just don't get caught. Don't kid yourselves.

Ron

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 08:37PM

Any good athlete who is TBM would love to go play for BYU as it'll help them have a better chance of finding a good TBM wife so they can raise a good TBM family and go to the Celestial Kingdom. That kind of logic won't work on non-TBMs. But it's a good sales pitch for TBM's and yes it gives BYU a very good advantage.

Okay I know now that I'll catch some heat from anyone here who was true-red-U-of-U, a BYU-hater and TBM all at once at sometime in their life history ;)

Posted by: Hillbilly Heathen ( )
Date: August 17, 2011 09:55PM

In the early 70's, those of us involved in the basketball program got some cash at the end of the season. It ranged from I think $150 to $200 for the starters, to $50 for the has beens and never weres (like me). I would imagine it was true for the other sports programs as well.

I've chuckled about it for years.

Oh, and I also got one of those cool varsity jackets with a blue wool body and cream leather sleeves. I kept it until about five years ago, when it finally rotted off the hanger...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 09:55PM by Hillbilly Heathen.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 01:53AM

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/17/ncaas-stricter-academic-rules-what-does-it-mean-for-your-team/

"The rule, had it been in effect, would have also changed the look of the football postseason. All of last year's conference champions were in the clear APR-wise, but other competitors in post-season bowl games would not have been.

Though Michigan came nowhere close to beating Mississippi State in the Gator Bowl, it would have just missed the APR cutoff, with a score of 928. Maryland beat East Carolina in the Military Bowl, but the Terps' APR of 922 would have kept them from playing at all. The New Mexico Bowl and the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl would have had completely different makeups, as Brigham Young, University of Texas – El Paso, University of Louisville and Southern Mississippi all had APRs below 930"

Posted by: fmrly ExmoinCO ( )
Date: August 18, 2011 08:35AM

BYU probably cheats buts it's nowhere on the level of USC, Miami or Ohio State. BYU is not a NFL factory like those schools. Boosters like to buddy up to stars not only because they can help their school win but it can get them access if/when they go pro and make the big bucks.

Also. as wealthy as we like to think LDS Inc and it's membership is..it pales in comparison with the money that flows through SoCal, Florida, Ohio etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.