Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rain ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 01:51PM

From a missionary blog:

"We keep knocking on doors, getting rejected, and repeat. When we do find new people, they drop us within a few days. I wonder if there is some kind of external thing at play here that I don't know about. Something like possibly the "Ordain Women" thing making people hate us more than usual. Side note, that fiasco cost us a potential investigator the other day. *grumble* I'm starting to believe that tracting is pointless. There has to be a better way to do missionary work."

I'm not sure if the non-mo world is all that aware of it and this may just be the usual environment here in the Seattle area, but it was interesting that he made the connection. And had heard enough about it as a missionary that he thought it could be a cause.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tiny Tears ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 02:00PM

"There has to be a better way to do missionary work."

There is. It's called volunteerism and helping the needy and disenfranchised.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 02:13PM

Tiny Tears Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "There has to be a better way to do missionary
> work."
>
> There is. It's called volunteerism and helping
> the needy and disenfranchised.

Exactly!

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 02:42PM

It would seem that the church would rather close up shop than actually have the missionaries doing volunteerism.
I guess there is no potential tithing revenue in helping the needy, is there?

Posted by: B'hamster ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 02:07PM

" I wonder if there is some kind of external thing at play here that I don't know about?" ~~ I think it's called "The Internet" and "Google Search".

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 02:19PM

"I'm starting to believe that tracting is pointless. There has to be a better way to do missionary work."

That was so true -- even in Oakland, CA in 1979.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 02:38PM

True in Argentina in the early 80s too

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 04:09PM

True in Mississippi and Louisiana in 1975-76.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 02:19PM

Seems like he is looking for a scapegoat to blame for people not accepting the message.

OW is a fashionable scapegoat right now in the lds church.

I also like how he feels offended that he is not welcome to intrude on these people's lives and tell them how wrong their religion is and that they need to be baptized into his if they want to please god and see their family again.

Date: July 09, 2014 02:27PM

That's what I thought- it seems like a convenient scapegoat. The kid's been out a while so I wonder if they are really being rejected more, but I kind of doubt it. His blog talks of plenty of rejection.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 02:26PM

"There has to be a better way to do missionary work."

I'm not sure what else people should expect when they're trying to pawn off a bad product.

Posted by: ANON BRIT ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 02:54PM

Quotes - "There is. It's called volunteerism and helping the needy and disenfranchised.

I wonder if there is some kind of external thing at play here that I don't know about?" ~~ I think it's called "The Internet" and "Google Search".

** STANDING APPLAUSE **

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 03:13PM

He does not get that he is selling a crappy product that nobody wants. A turd tied up with a,bow is still a turd. Nobody is buying turds....well maybe petrified dinosaur turds, but mormons know that dino bones are left over from the planets that made earth.

And sure, it is the fault of OW that the morg is a sexist organization. Yeah no woman would have EVER figured that out, on her own. In the immortal words of Red Forman, What a dumb@ss.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 03:34PM

Way back in college, 1981 or so, I was dating a guy who was raised baptist from elkton maryland. I was an atheist at the time and he was upset that we would not be together in heaven.

I went to a church service with him and his grandmother, it was in the basement of another church and it was all the geriatric crowd. Time magazine had just come out with an edition and the title was, The New Missionaries. It was a story of missionaries who helped african communities by creating a town infrastucture, building wells, schools, getting medical aid.

The minister, who was probably in his 30s held up the magazine and attacked these new missionaries because they were not focused on saving the heathens souls through baptism. He didnt care if they had fresh water to drink, because they were all going to hell. I had to physically contain myself from getting up and walking out. What a great christian he was. It just solidified my distaste for fundy religions.

Think of all the good morg missionaries could do. I bought my car from a missionary couple who were moving to los angeles to work at a facility for runaways. I forgot which church, they were in lancaster PA, but were not amish or mennonite, maybe church of the brethern. They were being paid but would have to work part time to get enough to live on. There is no comparison to the good they were doing compared to the morg salespeople.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 03:34PM

Blame those uppity women for wanting equality.......it's not like he's selling a defective product.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 03:36PM

Other companies change and improve their product for better sales, better reputation, and quite simply, better business.

Adapt or become extinct.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 03:44PM

Link please.

Date: July 09, 2014 03:51PM

http://eldertaylorolpin.blogspot.com/

I like following his posts because he certainly reports on the difficulties he's having and doesn't just spout the usual testimonkeys.

Posted by: TooLazy ( )
Date: July 09, 2014 03:57PM

Outside of the world of Mo-ism (including us Mo-Watchers), nobody has any idea about any of this Ordain Women movement in Mo-ism...and doesn't care. Their disgruntled person, tired of being hassled, probably heard that on a radio show that day...so it may have been fresh on his mind. Assuredly, the whole OW movement isn't making people hate Mo-ism any more than they already do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.